GPU Market Gets Flooded With Used GeForce RTX 2080 Ti’s

That’s not the point. It creates problems for the market and extends inventory clearance time. I think when I read the NV lawsuit that they did in fact lie about growth because said crypto was a minor factor in their explosive quarter earnings but once it slowed down they were left with excess inventory and subsequent quarter showed declines.
We'll see how it turns out I guess. Minor issue if you ask me and I'm confident the company will move on doing well however it turns out.

We'll see how it turns out I guess. Minor issue if you ask me and I'm confident the company will move on doing well however it turns out.

NVIDIA will be fine regardless, they don’t lose money. It’s what happens as a result of miners interfering in the gaming market that’s the problem.

Didn't seem to hurt the bottom line. Nvidia is crushing it. Well run company.
No, their efficiency isn't good. Even on 1000- and 2000- series stuff. To see this under a glass, look at their mobile parts. They only seem well-run in light of AMD's long series of calamities.

And if you've ever had to work with Nvidia, you wouldn't be saying they're well-run at all.

AMD needs to really hype up Linux gaming.

That's their one and only true niche. Nvidia just DOES NOT want to enter that "market," and sure, it's not a very good market, but it could grow if AMD helps out by marketing that direction a bit more.
Just a LITTLE bit more, at least.

Are we at a point where the cards outperform the monitors?

Not really, we’re stuck in a cost / benefit chicken and egg atm. Theoretically you’d want a display that does 4:4:4 12 Bit 4K resolution at 120hz. That’s right on the edge (Maybe a bit over haven’t checked) of possible with hdmi 2.1 but there’s nothing that does it and they’re choosing to go to the next resolution rather than improving brightness and banding to do Dolby Vision equivalent. Which is just going to have us interconnect limited again.

We still need DisplayPort 2 as monitors aren’t going to (and shouldn’t) go wholesale HDMI and so 4K 120 or 3840*1600 160hz is still our practical ceiling. 12 Bit display (rather than signal) would be nice but is a ways off. I was disappointed that DP 2 wasn’t included as my monitor is already limited.

Biggest qualitative difference is oled, or a distant second high zone 1400+ nit displays. I doubt either is going to be in mass market monitors for at least this generation of video cards. The PG32UQX might become an actual real thing, but it’s still months away and will be first car money. Nothing it does requires any gpu innovation, because we’re bandwidth limited. It’s all circular :)

The gizmos of bits and the like are all just ways to convince people of ‘better’ If they could magically figure out how to mass manufacture micro led or to do thousands of nits on oled it would be the biggest leap and nothing in that requires gpu stuff.

They do but it’s arbitrary, in reality they just pay off software vendors to lock pro features to quadro drivers. It’s mostly artificial differentiation, except a few things like fp64 or gpu instancing which are *real* capabilities but not widely needed, so are fair game imho. The mining thing they paid lip service to because of bad PR but in reality there is nothing they can do because of how it works.

The T&C’s don’t really matter as you’re generally free to do what you like with something you own. Hence why every company tries to be a rent seeker, with the ultimate goal of renting you the software that makes the hardware work. That gets them the mortal lock on that lovely monthly recurring revenue sugar.

I’m sure if you sold software that used CUDA to break export controlled encryption you’d arc them up enough to bust out the lawyers but otherwise they’re generally just “meh”

Back