GPU Issues

Midnite8

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I have been having this problem with my Xfire 7970s for a long time now but haven't found a fix for it. The problem is that my screen goes all weird and it takes about 30 seconds for it to refresh and go back to normal. I have tried several drivers for it and disabled ULPS already but that has not worked. The main card is a XFX DD 7970 Black Edition and the second card is a Diamond 7970. I only have a monitor and a TV connected. I have uploaded a picture of what it looks like:
6vJiuLh

Picture link no good. Does either card work fine as it self? Have you tried running fans at 100%...just in case its heat related?

I spent some time with crossfire and I always found the need to reset the cmos for the DMI data pool to pick the second card up like it should.. not saying that's your issue but I never had many issue with CX other the no driver support for a giving game like World of Tanks.

Both cards are under water and are bridged. The other day I flashed both BIOS's since they were pretty outdated to see if anything changed but it didn't. I will try to reset the CMOS as well.

does everything during the post before windows boots up look fine? Or is it like that all the time? or just after windows logs in?

Computer posts and boots up fine, this problem happens just randomly in Windows. At first it mainly happened during game play or right after I tab out or exit a game, so I thought it was the ULPS, so I disabled that. Now, I haven't even touched a game and it happens during normal usage.

Any spare partitions or drives? could fire up free win 10 tech preview and see if it still happens just to totally rule out your windows installation....only take about 5 min to install from a usb drive
Next question does it work with xfire disabled?

Last edited:
I actually already am running Windows 10, I was running 8.1 beforehand. Xfire enabled or disabled doesn't make a difference.

Right now, I unplugged power to the main XFX card and am running on the Diamond reference card, no problem yet and I have been running for about 2 hours. So it may indeed be the XFX card :( Shame if I have to toss it because it's a bitch to drain my loop and nothing to do with a faulty card and block.

Maybe I can try on a single drive, because I have been running on a RAID 0 config with 840 Pros

Sounds like a VRAM issue. Head over to xfxsupport.com and setup a ticket, PM me or call us when you have it and ill set you up to get it replaced under warranty.

Thanks for PMing me primetime.

take my word for it , when i need help, xfx had a new part delivered in maybe 2 days totally and hassle free .......best of luck

Thanks for the assistance primetime! As I said in the PM to XfxSupport, I asked if it was still possible to get the card replaced even though I took off the heatsink and have a block on it. I still have the original heatsink and screws and can put it back together.

Thanks for the assistance primetime! As I said in the PM to XfxSupport, I asked if it was still possible to get the card replaced even though I took off the heatsink and have a block on it. I still have the original heatsink and screws and can put it back together.

From what I understand they don't care about that. Just put it back together as it came from the factory and you're fine. ;)

From what I understand they don't care about that. Just put it back together as it came from the factory and you're fine. ;)

Yep, as long as its in North America Region, we fully support you.

Damaging the warranty void stickers in Asia/EU or anywhere else will void your warranty, but thats because returns are much different than N.A. and the retailer's can be fickle. We just did a blanket policy to keep it simple

Back