GPU cant putout enough pixels?

Ryle

[H]ard|Gawd
so i bought a 46" 1080P LCD today, and hooked it up via vga to my computer with no problems, its fantastic. my problem is my FW900 24" will now only go up to 1600x1200 res which is not widescreen, i usually run the monitor at 1680x1050@100hz but no longer can, is this a limitation of my 8800GT? too many pixels to output?

i vaugely remember having my old 37" 1080p westy hooked up 2 years ago and not having a problem, that was when i had XP though.. so im starting to think its something todo with vista and not my gpu.

anyhelp would be greatly appreciated, im running my crt at 1440x900 and its too big :(

ok i spoke too soon i guess.

i figured it out. i went to nvidia control panel > manage custom resolutions > and ticked "allow modes not exposed by the display"

dont understand why i have to do this now that i have my 46" lcd hooked up but all is dandy now.

FYI, the 8800GT can output 2560x1600. Also, 1600x1200 is *more* pixels than 1680x1050 ;)

It could be that Vista simply grabbed the wrong INF for the monitor.

I switch between a 16:9 TV and a 4:3 monitor.
After installing a new driver, I quite often have a problem where one screen is given the display options for the other screen until I set a lower screen mode compatible with both and then change to the correct mode after.

I have also had the same problem when choosing a 4:3 res on my 16:9 TV.
It sometimes then only present me with 4:3 modes after and I have to fiddle about to get them back.

spoke to soon again. my games have the limited resolutions that i first described, desktop is fine and i can access all resolutions and hz.. but in games limited to max of 1600x1200.. man this starting to annoy me. i dont get it.

i first had the LCD hooked up via component to pc and had zero problems, but once i hooked it up via vga it acts like a monitor now and not a HDTV and messing with my resolutions for my FW900.

You need proper drivers for the LCD if you're going to hook it up via VGA. You also need proper drivers for the FW900. These are what tell the GPU and OS what resolutions the connected device supports. Until you get them, or use something like PowerStrip to force a resolution set for a given device, you'll keep having these problems.

no drivers for the LCD, and the drivers for FW900 date back to 2003/XP. vista says its drivers are already current when i try and install them.

i am using BNC>VGA with my FW900 atm since i only had 1 vga cable that im using with the LCD, i have ordered a DVI>HDMI cable to use for the LCD leaving my VGA cable free to use with the monitor (and to free up the vga input on the LCD for my xbox, which is why i bought the cable).

trying to force a res and hz for games using refreshlock doesnt work as the program only sees up to 1600x1200.

weirdest problem ever... everything awesome on the desktop, but limited res in game...

looks like i will be gaming at 1440x900 atm, not giving up my LCD being hooked up.. im hoping that going back to using VGA for the monitor will work once i get my DVI>HDMI cable.

confusing mess i know sigh.

Back