GPT UEFI hybrid to SSD drive cloning not working

DaMaDo

Gawd
I have a Samsung series 7 laptop (NP700Z5C-S02UB) and I'm trying to clone the windows 8 system on the hybrid drive it came with onto a 256GB SSD.

I did the cloning by putting both drives on my desktop running windows 7 and using EaseUS Todo.

Everything seems to process correctly but the laptop will not boot with the SSD. It says there's been a hardware change and it can't continue.

I've tried disabling secureboot and changing to UEFI and legacy bios, but nothing works. Both drives are GPT.

Can someone help me on cloning this drive to work properly with this laptop? This is the first computer I have that has UEFI/GPT and so I'm not familiar with the resolutions.

When I did my Win 8 laptop to SSD I just put my Samsung 840 in an external usb connection and used the software that came with it.

I guess that would be a lot simpler ;) Although I don't know why my method didn't work. It worked fine for moving my desktop from a Crucial C300 256GB SSD to Samsung 840 512GB SSD

I'll go buy a sata to USB thing today and try the samsung recovery software.

I also have to decide whether to use that C300 256gb on the laptop or get a Samsung 840 256gb...not sure if it's worth the $200 due to bottlenecks elsewhere.

When I did my laptop I used Windows System backup and restore and it was like I never left. Down side is that it only creates a new partition that is the same size as the old one and you will then have to re-size it accordingly

For some reason this laptop hates me.

The samsung recovery tells me it can't do a disk copy b/c the SSD is too small.
Acronis seemed to work perfectly and booted up the first time, but then it got stuck in a booting loop after that saying files needed to be repaired.
Windows backup and restore tells me it can't use my 500GB HDD for the image b/c it's too small.

Now I'm putting the factory image on the SSD and seeing if that works....didn't want to start all over but whatever at this point. The total "non-factory" used space is only 119GB so I don't know what's wrong with my SSD and HDD being too small for the images.

By hybrid drive do you mean that your laptop came with a big HDD with the OS on it and a small SSD or mSATA as caching drive? If that's the case then your BIOS would have been set to SATA type of RAID. Now you have installed an SSD drive with OS on it, did you change the SATA type in BIOS to AHCI? If you did then windows 8 will just go into a blue a screen bootloop.

2 ways to fix it.

1. Set BIOS to AHCI, shutdown computer then bootup into windows 8 safe mode (NOT AUTOMATIC RECOVERY MODE) I think it's shift+F8 but not sure. windows will automatically fix itself to run as AHCI (big improvement over win 7). Shutdown the computer then boot normally into windows 8.

2. set BIOS to RAID but don't set RAID up. Boot into windows 8. run msconfig. Click the Boot tab and select Safe boot, minimal. click apply and reboot. As the computer reboots go into BIOS and change the SATA setting to AHCI save and exit. Computer will reboot into windows 8 safe mode. Once there run msconfig and unselect safe mode boot. Click apply and reboot normally into windows 8.

cheers

Back