Got some free speakers...how to power them?

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
Hey all,

Today went to drop off the trash and someone had left these, while not high end, they seem decent enough:

B&W DM303 - http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Downloads/Product/Archive/ENG_FP12297_DM303_info_sheet.pdf

• Description: 2-way vented-box system
  • Frequency range (-6dB): 52Hz and 30kHz
  • Power handling: 100W into 8Ω
  • Sensitivity: 88dB spl (2.83V, 1m)
  • Impedance: 8Ω (minimum 4.3Ω)
  • Dimensions: H 331mm W 201mm D 242mm H 13” W 7.9” D 9.5”
  • Weight: 5kg / 11 lbs.

hIvQQxY.png

I tested both using my FiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier just to see if they work and both do. I wanted to use these for my computer. Noted i have a FiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier, but it doesn't really have the power to power these speakers (I assume based on specs)

nUH0e0W.png

What might be a option for me to power these speakers properly? While my E9 does out put i need the volume about 3/4 to full to really hear things and don't want to damage my E9.

Was thinking something that could easily fit on my desk. I know i could go buy a used amp online or a receiver but would prefer to limit the space used.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If the Lepy doesn't work out for you, take a look at the Topping TP22, SMSL SA-60, or Dayton DTA-120. These cost more than the Lepy and are probably the best offerings in small Class D/T amps but a high noise floor is still going to be a problem. If you really want to throw some money at free speakers then I'd recommend a decent DAC ( Schiit Magni ) and maybe a Class A/B stereo amp. Emotiva ( an ID company ) has some nice stuff at decent prices. I have their DC-1 DAC and Stealth 6 powered monitors and couldn't be happier with my PC audio. I also have a SVS SB-2000 sub-woofer for when I play stuff that demands low bass. $400 will get you the Emotiva TA-100 that has a 24/192 DAC and Class A/B 50w x 2 but it is a full rack-sized unit, not half-rack like the unpowered DC-1.

Or just look at Craigslist for used receivers. There are usually a bunch of shitty $20 ones around me that aren't great but will put out more juice than a mini-amp.

Wow lucky find... they are nice... I'm a huge fan of B&W speakers.. when paired with denon receiver (or another neutral sounding receiver) produce a warm-neutral sound. very good for voice and clear..

Last edited:
Little mini amps are fine for what they are; just aren't going to mistake one for a McIntosh. :) I don't even think they are engineered badly. I think it's more of a choosing of the cheapest parts possible to get to the $20 price point.

Modding guide.
Modding the Lepai T2020A+ - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

I Google'd "upgrade capacitors Lepai" and found a treasure trove of information. Why did I Google about the capacitors? Because when the bass hits it sounds kinda cheesy at higher volumes due to what sounded like a lack of power to the circuitry. I've dealt with cheap car stereo amps so much that I can hear it. ;) In short it is way too easy to overdrive the amp due to a lack of power. The guide above suggests replacing the power adapter as it can't physically feed the amp at full volume.
upgrade capacitors lepai - Google Search

MrGuvernment How did the speakers turn out? I'm really curious as I'm about to embark upon some DIY speaker building in about 2 -3 weeks estimated.

Nice find on the mods, may check those out! or at least get the power adapters.

You can certainly tell it is a $20 amp, the speaker are good for their use, the bass is def lacking, but could be because they are under powered with the small amp so maybe the power adapter may help a bit. Either way i won't be cranking these much anyways once the wife is back home, then it will be back to my Fiio and Sen 598's.

I looked at receivers, but didn't want to get something so bulky, wanted to keep it small for desk space.

I do like the speakers and for free can't complain!, haven't played alot of music through them yet, mostly gaming, but they sound good, definitely glad i found them before someone else did.

Back