got outta microcenter for 600 how did I do?

surfbug

Limp Gawd
Well....

I bought a premade system hp. but I am taking it back.

This is my first build. I have a hard drive 640 gb caviar black and some vid card I cant remember right now

I am doing music mixing and light video production...no real gaming.

This is what I got.

Scout one case...floor model last one....35.99. yes 36 bux

Intel i5 overclock chip and asus LK mother board 189 + 75

8 gb ram 45 dollars

120 ssd samsung 840 79 dollars

600 watt silencer power supply 89 dollars

Thinking I might have paid too much for power supply...but reviews were good.

So...I am glad I have a good case...powersupply..mobo and chip.

It seems like a good start I can grow with.....ur thoughts good people?

Oh..I have wind 7 pro already...think its 32 bit

Now...just to build it and have it run! hahaha

Any comments welcome....and hopefully I can get it to boot when I am all done...

Al

32-bit isn't going to be able to "see" all 8gb of your ram, you NEED to get 64-bit, like right now

also, what i5 and asus board?

What's the exact case do you have? i.e who's the manufacturer, what's the model number, etc.
What video card do you have?
What RAM did you buy?

LOL @ this OP

300px-Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.jpg

Well....

I bought a premade system hp. but I am taking it back.

No offense, but you're probably going to be advised to take most of what you bought from Microcenter back as well.

This is my first build. I have a hard drive 640 gb caviar black and some vid card I cant remember right now

Well congrats on taking the step to do your first build, though the proper steps would have been to ask for advise BEFORE buying parts. Knowing what video card you're working with is kind of important though.

I am doing music mixing and light video production...no real gaming.

Then the video card really doesn't matter much. Just how much music mixing and video production are we talking here? Are you doing it on your free time or does it make you money? Just know that going with the i7 CPU you would have seen much larger gains in this usage than with the i5.

This is what I got.

Scout one case...floor model last one....35.99. yes 36 bux

I am assuming you mean the Cooler Master Storm Scout... if so, even at that price it's not worth it. There is little to no cable manage in that case what-so-ever. So at $36 + tax, there are cases in that price range that are better. Such as the NZXT 210 Source Elite and Corsair 200R.

Intel i5 overclock chip and asus LK mother board 189 + 75

Which motherboard exactly? Do you even intend on overclocking?

8 gb ram 45 dollars

Exactly what RAM?

120 ssd samsung 840 79 dollars

While it looks cheap, it's not that great of a performing SSD. The price kind of makes up for its lack of performance though.

600 watt silencer power supply 89 dollars

Meh. Not a bad PSU, but you could have saved money with a different unit that's powerful enough to power anything you throw at it.

Thinking I might have paid too much for power supply...but reviews were good.

Well, you did pay a little more than you needed for a PSU, but you didn't pay too much for that PSU as it's a descent unit. Like I said above, you could have spent a good bit less and got a PSU that would fit your needs.

So...I am glad I have a good case...powersupply..mobo and chip.

Not a good case. Reasons mentioned above.
Good PSU, but it's too much PSU for your uses.
No idea what motherboard you have. So can't comment on that.
While it's a good chip, for a good price depending on what you are exactly doing with it, it might have been wiser to spend more money on a non overclocking i7 CPU and less money on other items.

It seems like a good start I can grow with.....ur thoughts good people?

Just letting you know one more time; these types of threads never go as intended for the OP. Usually these threads are started so the OP can get a pat on the back, but most of us in here are very critical and thus we post it.

Oh..I have wind 7 pro already...think its 32 bit

Do note that you'll need a 64Bit OS to make use of all your RAM. W7 HP has a artificial 16GB cap, W7 Pro and Ultimate have a cap you don't need to worry about. W8 I would never recommend.

Now...just to build it and have it run! hahaha

Might want to answer our questions before putting it together. We're most likely going to tell you to take it all back and start over.

hello,

the mother board is an asus P8 z77-V LK

The procesor is an i5 3570 K

the memory is a ballistix sport 8 gb kit ddr3 1600 cl9 @ 1.5V

hmmmm they did have another case, the nzxt phantom 810, i think it was 69 dollars

the other power supply was a cx500, but for 30 dollars more I opted for the better one in case I upgrade in the future.

I will answer the questionaire, guess I was kinda excited taking that first step. I live ten mins from microcenter, so if it all goes back, its ok by me.

btw, I was actually gonna use the smasung ssd in a netbook, the hp 110, but that is a whole nother thread....lol

thanks for some guidence..

oh, and not that it is any reason, the cm storm scout ATX gaming case I got .....the reason isi like the handle so it is easy to move around. I might need to do this to edit music or videos.... is the cable management that much better in the scout II? that case was 99 dollars....

Then the video card really doesn't matter much. Just how much music mixing and video production are we talking here? Are you doing it on your free time or does it make you money? Just know that going with the i7 CPU you would have seen much larger gains in this usage than with the i5.

Sometimes, but not necessarily. Most encoders are multithreaded these days, but a lot of processing stuff is still single-threaded. I used to do a lot of AVISynth work, and I still do once in a while, and while there has been some effort to multithread AVISynth, it sucks - inefficient (doesn't scale well) and much less stable than single threading (and no, my experience is not just with some super old beta version of MT, either). So I went with a 2500k over a 2600k, even for encoding.

But some applications will benefit from the HT.

Sometimes, but not necessarily. Most encoders are multithreaded these days, but a lot of processing stuff is still single-threaded. I used to do a lot of AVISynth work, and I still do once in a while, and while there has been some effort to multithread AVISynth, it sucks - inefficient (doesn't scale well) and much less stable than single threading (and no, my experience is not just with some super old beta version of MT, either). So I went with a 2500k over a 2600k, even for encoding.

But some applications will benefit from the HT.

Well if you're doing it to make money, then you probably wouldn't be using applications that can't take advantage of multiple cores/threads. Without knowing what programs he is using, it's hard to tell. Though it's generally a good rule of thumb that if you're doing video editing or music editing, the more cores/threads you have the more you can do.

Not that great of a performing SSD? What are you talking about? :rolleyes:

Compared to other SSDs we recommend, it's on the low end of the performance spectrum. However it's price does reflect it's performance, so it's not a "bad" buy per se; just stating that better performing SSDs can be had, but they cost a little more.

Dont like the Scout one

Going to decide on CM Scout 2

Or

A Phantom 410

Thoughts?

Dont do the vid or music editing for business....just for fun btw

Both cases has much better cable management features. However it really depends on the price you intend to get them. While CM and NZXT make good cases, their price points can really hurt them when better designed (sturdier, more room, etc..) cases cost nearly the same or less. (Do note that I am rocking a CM 690 II Advanced and NXZT 210 Source Elite)

If video editing or music editing are a more a hobby than a job, then the i5 will probably be fine for you.

However I would still bring that PSU back and get one that's cheaper, yet still a quality unit that can power your needs. I can't recommend one until you tell us what GPU you are using.

Not that great of a performing SSD? What are you talking about? :rolleyes:

You see, that Samsung 840 (non-Pro) is based on TLC (Triple-Level Cell) NAND flash chips, which currently have terribly slow write speeds compared to the MLC NAND flash chips that most other SSDs (including Samsund's own 840 Pro) use.

You see, that Samsung 840 (non-Pro) is based on TLC (Triple-Level Cell) NAND flash chips, which currently have terribly slow write speeds compared to the MLC NAND flash chips that most other SSDs (including Samsund's own 840 Pro) use.

Which doesn't really matter unless you're moving a lot of data all the time. For the average user, you can't really tell the difference between a 840 Pro and a 840. It's a fine SSD for the price, unless you really need the extra performance the 840 will work just as well. You can buy a Pro, but it will cost you the premium and for what purpose?

Personally, his build is going alright, his prices are OK. The PSU is a bit over the top but unless he's on a tight budget, there's nothing wrong with paying for a quality PSU. At the same time, an Antec ECO 620 or CX430 for around 20-30 woiuld work too.

Also, I don't believe OP needs to buy 64-bit windows. If he already has 32-bit, the serial should transfer over as long as it's only on one machine (just find a 64-bit installer).

The GPU I have is an older one...ATI if I remember..iy can handle 2 monitors. i bought it ised 3 years ago...for about 80 dollars.

For now...I was going to use the connections on the motherboard. The HP that I returned worked just fine...and dont think that was any special gpu

If I need to get a GPU card..I will...it would just be so I could watch youtbe music videos anyway.

I have two dell 2205 monitors 22 inch units

The psu was 79 after MIR.... so I can use it for a long time forward if I part out....

I had an option to get a cx500 for 45 dollars after MIR...so for a few dollars more I got a bigger than needed psu

Also....thanks for the 32-64 bit info. I have to find a way to install 64 bit....I only have the 32 bit ISO

I am going to change the case though..thanka frhe

The CX500 would have easily been enough, but a few extra dollars spent on peace of mind when it comes to a power supply is not a bad thing IMO.

You won't need a new video card if you aren't gaming or using GPGPU stuff.

Definitely go 64-bit if possible, or else you'll only be able to use 3 to 3.5GB of that 8GB. 32-bit has a 4GB address (NOT RAM) limitation, and that includes more than just system RAM, so you won't even see 4GB of your RAM, let alone all 8.

Since you are only watching youtube videos, I would just forget a video card completely... just hook your monitor to your motherboard and use the onboard HD4000 from the 3570K. It will play older games well, so if you want to play something like TF2, or games of similar age, it will do it (albeit not as well as a dedicated GPU).

Since you are only watching youtube videos, I would just forget a video card completely... just hook your monitor to your motherboard and use the onboard HD4000 from the 3570K. It will play older games well, so if you want to play something like TF2, or games of similar age, it will do it (albeit not as well as a dedicated GPU).

Yeah the onboard graphics will work, I've played L4D on it before and it's for sure not pretty; but it's playable.

Since the current trend with computer components are to use less power, even a 500W unit will not only be overkill for your needs, but it will handle and "future proofing" you think you want to cover with it.

Back