Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

By the way, did any of you guys know about...

THE ART OF TURBOING

It's worth it for anyone with customer service issues. You ppl with warranty issues should try it out. :)

hey guys, I'm looking to mount my 37w3 and was wondering what you guys would suggest. I'm looking for a swiveling wall mount or just a mount that brings the monitor a little far away from the wall. I like the Sanus MF209 cuz of the price :p

Also, I've used mount finders on both sanus's and peerless's websites and was wondering if anyone's used a mount that wasn't listed that worked with this monitor. Thanks for any feedback!

I Got my Westy today ordered from Newegg. LVM-37 W3se The remote was totally destroyed from the weight of the screen, and I have 1 lovely lazy pixel with the red subpixel stuck on about 2" left and 4" up from center screen, none of the "fix stuck pixel" methods have worked.

From reading this board it seems It will be a better bet to learn to deal with the pixel than to RMA the screen at my own expense. Sucks this company doesn't understand how RMA is supposed to work, you know where they send you a new unit and you send the old one in that same box which contains documentation. Oh well.

I have ever used the remote for anything but powering down, so no great loss for me, although I can see where others use it for more, and I feel your pain

The Westinghouse uses the same remote codes as Sony remotes so if you have a Sony remote or a universal remote you could use those. And 1 stuck subpixel is annoying but probably not worth RMA'ing for.

Still, this is exactly why I recommend people to steer clear of Newegg for monitors and HDTVs over 24". It's just too much of a risk, anything can and will happen during shipping, and LCD makers have such lax quality control that dead and stuck pixels are a fact of life. NewEgg leaves you with absolutely no recourse but to deal directly with the manufacturer.

ya i know it's a monitor and there is no tuner, but you wouldn't belive how thickheaded their customer service is, the lady told me that their information is straight from westinghouse and it was preperaed by westinghouse technicians. So they say it has analog tv tunner and won't budge on that, I'm gonna try calling westinghouse and try to get some spec sheet or something that says no tuner, or do a confrance call with costco.

WTF? It doesn't have a tuner unless I am extremely mistaken...it doesn't even have a cable input so why would it have a tuner, analog or not? :rolleyes: @ bullheaded custserv that SHOULD be going out of their way to help you.

9mmx19 said:
Been using it for a while as a monitor now and I get a weird problem. Sometimes when the power saving kicks in the TV turns off completely as it should, but other times it doesnt. If I turn off the lights the screen still emits light. Why doesnt it turn off completely every time? Anyone know?

Mine does that too. Judging from other replies here, we're not alone. Oh well, I'm happy with everything else about this thing...it's just superb as a monitor.

WTF? It doesn't have a tuner unless I am extremely mistaken...it doesn't even have a cable input so why would it have a tuner, analog or not? :rolleyes: @ bullheaded custserv that SHOULD be going out of their way to help you.

Mine does that too. Judging from other replies here, we're not alone. Oh well, I'm happy with everything else about this thing...it's just superb as a monitor.

i get the same problem, too... sometimes the monitor shuts itself off and sometimes it doesn't... especially with the PC... the Power Settings in windows tell the monitor to turn off after 20min, but it just stays BLACK sometimes. :(

I have the problem too. I asked on another forum and got an answer from a professional tv repair guy he said this

"The problem in your tv is not external.
The problem is in the power supplies internal filtering.
On the primary side of the power supply main board you will find
a large electrolytic capacitor very near the fuse and the primary transformer( the small one). Next to this capacitor you will find a
large 5 watt diode.( black with a silver band at one end). Next to this you will find one lone 1/4 watt resistor. This resistor in conjuction with large electrolytic capacitor is responcible for the internal filtering of the high voltage side of the board. As your unit heats up( anywhere fron 5 to 30 mins) you will notice horizontal
flickering and prior to that red or green or even purple pixelation.
Check this 1/4 watt resistor for dark discoloration and or a bad solder joint on the solder side of the board. This resistor
is directly responcible for controlling the bias current to the high voltage regulators for the 160 volts DC. At no time should you handle or troubleshoot this board with the line plug in.
Even when this board is powered down that capacitor still holds a charge for up to an hour and can knock your you know what
in your sock. If you do not feel comfortable please take the board to someone else."

Hope this helps

I have the problem too. I asked on another forum and got an answer from a professional tv repair guy he said this

"The problem in your tv is not external.
The problem is in the power supplies internal filtering.
On the primary side of the power supply main board you will find
a large electrolytic capacitor very near the fuse and the primary transformer( the small one). Next to this capacitor you will find a
large 5 watt diode.( black with a silver band at one end). Next to this you will find one lone 1/4 watt resistor. This resistor in conjuction with large electrolytic capacitor is responcible for the internal filtering of the high voltage side of the board. As your unit heats up( anywhere fron 5 to 30 mins) you will notice horizontal
flickering and prior to that red or green or even purple pixelation.
Check this 1/4 watt resistor for dark discoloration and or a bad solder joint on the solder side of the board. This resistor
is directly responcible for controlling the bias current to the high voltage regulators for the 160 volts DC. At no time should you handle or troubleshoot this board with the line plug in.
Even when this board is powered down that capacitor still holds a charge for up to an hour and can knock your you know what
in your sock. If you do not feel comfortable please take the board to someone else."

Hope this helps

Good to know. Does that also explain the "sleep" function not working properly?

no this problem fixes tv's that are shutting off by themselves after they heat up or for tvs that are having pixelation after heating up I think.

My SE runs for long periods of time, and has not had a whimper. Of course I have only had it a month, but so far so good. Got my MS VGA cable in for the xbox 360 to cure the "green band across screen with yellow text" bug over the component cable syndrome. And I just got a new hdmi cable to go from my cable box to the display. All is good in the pc display department at the moment :p

These displays are great, and I even get a "free" 1 year warranty extension via having paid with my amex card....

out of topic abit but can anyone find any store that will ship this out of US? i assume that the power requirement is 100v-240v

I got my new cables in today....I now have my pc on the DVI, my HD cable box is on HDMI, and my xbox 360 is on the Microsoft VGA adapter. Picture quality on HDtv nows actually looks HD, and SDtv is much better, much softer but far less jaggies. And best of all, I no longer have the green bands across the screen on xbox games when there is green text on the screen. Seems the component inputs are pretty lame, the scaler is terrible, or something...

Hello all,

I need your guys opinions. I have a chance here at getting an LVM-37W3 from a friend for $500.00, it's used and in mint condition, about four months old. Should I do it? Is the new "SE" revision much better? I'm not sure what the differences are.. What is a good price on a new one these days? Thank you!

Hello all,

I need your guys opinions. I have a chance here at getting an LVM-37W3 from a friend for $500.00, it's used and in mint condition, about four months old. Should I do it? Is the new "SE" revision much better? I'm not sure what the differences are.. What is a good price on a new one these days? Thank you!

if i were you, ill take it from him for $500. where can you get a 37" 1080p for $500

Hello all,

Go for it. It's still in warranty, and 500 is a great price for a true 1080p display. Only thing I would tell you is, try NOT to use the component inputs if possible. Compared to the VGA,HDMI, and DVI inputs, the component choices do not have a good scaler chip and do not do this unit justice. As noted above, I got new cables for my equipment, and the IQ is seriously better than component.

Go for it. It's still in warranty, and 500 is a great price for a true 1080p display. Only thing I would tell you is, try NOT to use the component inputs if possible. Compared to the VGA,HDMI, and DVI inputs, the component choices do not have a good scaler chip and do not do this unit justice. As noted above, I got new cables for my equipment, and the IQ is seriously better than component.

DVI and HDMI all the way... it's SO CRISP! Pretty much every computer will give you a digital video out these days. And... I've yet to see an HD cable box that is from the present that doesn't have a digital video connection (DVI or HDMI).

Still, this is exactly why I recommend people to steer clear of Newegg for monitors and HDTVs over 24". It's just too much of a risk, anything can and will happen during shipping, and LCD makers have such lax quality control that dead and stuck pixels are a fact of life. NewEgg leaves you with absolutely no recourse but to deal directly with the manufacturer.

Are there any brick and mortar stores that sell this? As much as I love Newegg I think your suggestion is the route to take.

Picked up a refurb @ onsale.com this weekend for under $500. Looking forward to getting it... again!

Are there any brick and mortar stores that sell this? As much as I love Newegg I think your suggestion is the route to take.

Costco and Bestbuy are the only ones that did. Costco deal is long dead, but Bestbuy might still have a few, you'll probably have to dig around though.

Do you guys turn it off when you get up and leave? Or just let it run with maybe a screen saver?

I've been turning it on and off for about 8 months now, and am just now asking if that's such a bright idea or not.

When I leave it on and leave, I come back and it's all black but still lit up, which is why I've been turning it off.

I use a 3 or 4 minute screen saver and then 5 minute power save mode, so it doesn't take long for me to figure out if it'll go into power save or if it's going to sit with the backlight lit, usually if it's lit i'll turn it off, but there are times when i can't spare the 5 minutes to wait and see, so I end up getting home and the backlight is on. I guess if I sit in it for 10 or 12 hours a day it's on the whole time, or watch movies etc, so I don't see the big deal either way.

sorry to be OT, but the local Office Depot has the 42" westy 720P for 799, is this a good buy? it's just for watching movies and for my son's console games that's why I don't care that it's 720P and not 1080P...

thanks for any info :D

sorry to be OT, but the local Office Depot has the 42" westy 720P for 799, is this a good buy? it's just for watching movies and for my son's console games that's why I don't care that it's 720P and not 1080P...

My pal has a 37" 720p lcd, and for GAMING via his PS3 or pc, it looks quite decent. That res is a relatively easy res for a modern 8800 class vid card, and allows some more eye candy like 4xAA and maxed out effects (except crysis!) for better looking gameplay.

But it is not that great for pc use alone, text is really fuzzy/pixelated and not near as crisp as at 1080p. Now figure in a LARGER 42" still at the same res, and things get ugly real fast...larger pixel pitch again hurts. Just my .02 not that anyone cares :)

Make sure you try and find 10% coupons or $30 off $150 coupons or whatever, you can find them on eBay all day long. Just search for Office Depot coupon and make sure it says it's usable in store!

I would just like to say that anyone on the fence about any of these LVM westinghouse models are in for a treat. I have had a 42" Westinghouse LVM-42W2 for over a year now and use it as my main computer monitor and it's flat out awesome. I sit about 3-4 feet away and use it at 1080p res which is great for multi-tasking. My fiance uses it at 1024x768 and it still looks okay. Contrast isn't the greatest but not horrible either. Input lag (and I notice things like this) is minimal. Overall a great monitor for computer use!!

Nevermind got to compare the 2 yesterday...continue on...

(btw if anybody else was wondering 37w3 is better than the 37w1 :) )

I heard it's pretty crappy from people.

When I was using mine as a TV only, I thought it looked pretty good even when not watching an HD channel. Weird.

SD is pretty good actually when set to 720p. It's not the best and obviously not as good as CRT SD, but it's definitely passable for an LCD.

Holy crap, why is this thread 300+ pages? I just bought one of these lcd's after buying a 47" TX Westy. Both monitors are awesome and HD is perfect. I got lucky because both of the LCD's don't have any dead pixels or any other problems.

Holy crap, why is this thread 300+ pages? I just bought one of these lcd's after buying a 47" TX Westy. Both monitors are awesome and HD is perfect. I got lucky because both of the LCD's don't have any dead pixels or any other problems.

Where'd you get it?? These 37" Westy's are going the way of the dodo.

First off it was a sticky for a long long time. Thats one reason it has so many posts. Second it was a real discovery, a monitor of this size that could be had for a reasonable price. Most of all its that the Westy (w3 most of all) does a wonderful job as a monitor, unlike many LCDs which are used primarily as a TV. This one shines particularly well. When the news got out many people leaped at the chance to get one. Many other sites with forums linked to this thread and something of a phenomenon was born.

The guy who says its going the way of the dodo is wrong in that this still is imo the best one at this size you could get when you can find it. He is right though in that its not being made any more and has been replaced by other models which may or may not be as good as this one was.

This is the single best monitor I have ever purchased and with online sites that are starting to stream things in HD, its now taking on the look of an even better buy due to its size. I watched Lost for the first time last night in Full screen HD stream from ABC and was blown away.

All I meant is that they are impossible to find now. I still believe they are a great buy if you can find one.

For all of you in Canada who wanted (want) this monitor, Dell.ca has it for 899 with free shipping.

I currently have the TX42, but am starting to think its a little much as a monitor, from about 18inches out. But it just seems counter-intuitive to go smaller. So far I haven't had any major issues with the unit but there are so many horror stories with the TX42, and nothing but pure joy for the 37inch W3.

Decisions, Decisions

Impossible to find? Hardly... Hard to find? Not really.....? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889234025

Easy fella, yes Newegg has it, but it's one of the VERY few retailers that do actually still carry it. Plus I don't believe there is one local store such as a Best Buy or Costco which has sold them in the past, but DO NOT sell them anymore, as many people would like to take a look at the monitor before just ordering $800 of monitor on the internet. Maybe some smaller local shops, but I'm sure they'll be selling them for $1200-1300 at least :eek:

You can still buy it from Newegg, but seriously, that's about it. It's not a widely sold monitor anymore, that's ALL I was saying :rolleyes:

what is a good price to pay on a recertified LVM-37W3? Is $635 a good deal?

Not bad, you would save $160 about from the Newegg price... if that includes shipping.

Bought two of these badboy's 6 months ago from costco with there stellar 2yr warranty , one those was for my roommate. Still the best gaming/multimedia purchase I had made to date.

Love em, I recommend them to whoever has the opportunity.

Back