Got my Hanns-G HG281 Today!! Pics

Sold my 2405 Dell this morning for $400 and bought the Hans-G from Best Buy just now. HUGE to say the least. Seems like the perfect size. I have two stuck pixels (in the same place) out of the box. Both are in the upper corner. One came out just by rubbing it but the other is stuck on Green. I'm running UDPixel to try to get it unstuck. Wish me luck. :D

Just an update. I ran UDPixel for about three or 4 days on the dead pixel and it cured it. I was about to give up but it actually fixed it. I won't have to drive 75 miles to exchange it. :cool:

I'm loving this monitor. So much larger than my 2405 Dell and after some tweaking on the settings it looks great.

I appologize if this was already asked but, how are the angles on this monitor , is it as bad as they say?... ive been fretting over getting this monitor because of its size and price but right now i have a non tn panel dell...would i be hurting myself by going from a non tn to a tn panel?

The angles look fine to me but I'm not a expert on monitors. I moved up from a Dell 2405 to the Hanns-G and I'm happy now that I got my stuck pixel fixed. Buy it and try it out yourself. If you get it from Best Buy you have 14 days to test drive it.

i am considering buying this monitor but the only thing that bothers me is the contrast ratio. Is there a huge difference between this and monitors with 3000:1 DC ratio like the 226bw or even the 10,000:1 (I think it is a typo and its supposed to be 5000:1) DC monitors coming down the pipeline?

how does this monitor compare to the westinghouse 37 incher in terms of gaming and wathcing movies. is this strictly a monitor or can u watch tv on it like the westinghouse.

how does this monitor compare to the westinghouse 37 incher in terms of gaming and wathcing movies. is this strictly a monitor or can u watch tv on it like the westinghouse.

It doesn't have a TV tuner if that's what your asking. You could watch it through the component input or HDMI if you have a cable box or sat receiver.

I wonder how the quality of the Hanns-G compares to that of the 37" westy (or any other sub-$1000 1080p TV), assuming both would be used as a computer monitor. Has anyone seen both?

I got the Hanns-G 28" with adjustable height at Best Buy and I am impressed. It really is a great monitor for the price. I play COD4, UT3, Stalker, Gears Of War and they look great at 1920 x 1200. At first, some may say it's too big etc but, not really. You really get used to the size that it nots that big. Gaming is more fun when its on a large screen monitor as you feel immersed in the game. I came from a 22" and a 24" and felt it still wasn't big enough.

How does it look at a modest 1280x768 res for those games?

any updates from anyone still debating if i should bite??

I returned mine with the stuck pixel (it kept coming and going) and got a new one through Costco because of their better return policy. Came out of the box perfect - even though one of the top flaps of the box was opened when delivered by Fedex. Nothing was missing - thank goodness. No dead or stuck pixels and almost no backlight bleeding at all. The first one with the stuck pixel had some backlight bleeding so I'm really glad I returned it and bought another one. The monitor is way too bright out of the box and looks like shit. After some tweaking it looks great. Here are the settings that I tried and like so far. Might have to play around with it some more when I get time. If you want the best bang for the buck in a large monitor this is hard to pass up. Mine cost me $556 with tax and shipping through Costco.

Monitor Settings:
Brightness: 25
Contrast : 54
Color Settings: User - 100 100 98

Nvidia Settings:
Brightness: 60%
Contrast: 70%
Hue and Saturation: 50%

anyone gotten their 360 to output 1080 correctly on this thing over vga?

I output mine at 1080p over the component cables via the VGA adapter. I read somewhere that the VGA cable did not do 1080p - so I have not even tried it. Much simpler to know that the component cables work at 1080p - plug those into the VGA adapter and call it a day.

Plus - if you haven't bought the VGA cable - it saves you 50 bucks.

I have a question for those people who have a newer version Xbox 360 with the HDMI output. When you connect it to the Hanns-G, does it do 1080p over the HDMI or does it stretch it to 1200?

I read that the Hanns-G does not do 1:1 pixel mapping but I wasn't sure if that only applied to VGA or if it applied to the HDMI as well. It looks like Nomad said that it works at 1080p over component but I haven't read anything about hooking up the xbox using a straight HDMI to HDMI cable.

Thanks.

How does an 8800 GT run newer games with this display with the native resolution?

Think there would be any problem putting one of these on the geeks.com 4 monitor stand? It says max weight 22.05 lbs, but the monitor weighs 24, which I assume includes the stand. I want it because I can use it as a TV and a monitor(turn it around on the arm towards my bed), then I can have my 22 off to the side.

has any one ran a 360 through HDMI on this mointor how is it?

I am running my old 360 via component to VGA adapter and it is fantastic as 1080p. I have my computer and PS3 hooked up through an HDMI switch and it works flawlessly. The PS3 does not create black bars at the top or bottom so it must be stretching it a bit - but I am a very happy camper with the setup that I have. For the price, it is a fantastic monitor.

I am running my old 360 via component to VGA adapter and it is fantastic as 1080p. I have my computer and PS3 hooked up through an HDMI switch and it works flawlessly. The PS3 does not create black bars at the top or bottom so it must be stretching it a bit - but I am a very happy camper with the setup that I have. For the price, it is a fantastic monitor.

i am connecting my 360 to the monitor through HDMI i set it on the settings to 1080p but when i play there are no black bars on top or bottom is this right??

i am connecting my 360 to the monitor through HDMI i set it on the settings to 1080p but when i play there are no black bars on top or bottom is this right??

The monitor supports 1920x1200; slightly larger than 1080P (1920x1080). If you don't get bars at the top and bottom it is filling the screen and stretching it a bit. At least this is my understanding - someone smarter than I should confirm this observation.

Looks good actually, I played some games on lower res on this lcd and they look good. Crysis on 1440 x 900 still looks pretty good. I can say coming from a Westinghouse 22" TN lcd, this 28" TN panel is better. The colors are more vibrant and saturated and on my 28" I have far less backlight bleeding. I practically don't see any when I watch a dvd movie on this thing. I also have a 24" Gateway FPD2485W S-PVA lcd. My eyes would hurt more reading on the Gateway 24" than on this 28" Hanns LCD. Plus, the text is sharper on my Hanns lcd than the Gateway lcd. There's a 50/50 chance you may get a Hanns 28" with a stuck pixel though. I have 1 but, it's hardly noticeable at all. It does not have 1:1 pixel mapping in the menu settings. Unless its something built in to automatically detect it. I highly doubt it has 1:1 mapping. Not a big deal anyways. Some people may have their bad experince with their Hanns 28". Maybe its just their batch wasn't good. But, I can say I am very pleased with mine.

How does it look at a modest 1280x768 res for those games?

The monitor supports 1920x1200; slightly larger than 1080P (1920x1080). If you don't get bars at the top and bottom it is filling the screen and stretching it a bit. At least this is my understanding - someone smarter than I should confirm this observation.

u say u are running your 360 at 1080p do u have black bars top and bottom when u play your 360?

This LCD does not have 1:1 mapping. When I adjust the resolution to 1920 x 1080, the image stretches from 1080 height to 1200. I do not have any setting in the LCD to enable 1:1 mapping on this Hanns 28" My other Gatway 24" lcd that has 1:1 mapping support. If I adjust the res to 1920 x 1080, it will have the black bars on the top and bottom.

u say u are running your 360 at 1080p do u have black bars top and bottom when u play your 360?

This LCD does not have 1:1 mapping. When I adjust the resolution to 1920 x 1080, the image stretches from 1080 height to 1200. I do not have any setting in the LCD to enable 1:1 mapping on this Hanns 28" My other Gatway 24" lcd that has 1:1 mapping support. If I adjust the res to 1920 x 1080, it will have the black bars on the top and bottom.

That really stinks. I was thinking about getting one to do double duty as a PC monitor and second TV. If it stretches HD, then that's a bum deal.

soo what if u watch blue ray movies on it will it also strech to be full screen?? Does the streching from 1080 to 1200 really bad? WIll it still look decent at least?

Not so sure on how a HD DVD willl look though and if it will stretch. When I watch a regular dvd on my pc that's in WS 2:40 aspect ratio, I do not see it stretch it to fill the whole screen. The whole image is displayed normal just blown up to fill the entire screen. A 1:85 aspect ratio movie which is 16 x 9 does not stretch on my 16 x 10 WS lcd. There is a black bar on the top and bottom when I watch movie that are 1:85 aspect ratio. If I watch a full screen standard dvd, it will show black bars on its sides. I am guessing this will be the same with an HD DVD also. The software program you use will allow the video to maintain its original aspect ratio. A PS3 or Xbox 360 however, will probably stretch a 1080P(1920 x 1080) game to 1200 in height.

Not so sure on how a HD DVD willl look though and if it will stretch. When I watch a regular dvd on my pc that's in WS 2:40 aspect ratio, I do not see it stretch it to fill the whole screen. The whole image is displayed normal just blown up to fill the entire screen. A 1:85 aspect ratio movie which is 16 x 9 does not stretch on my 16 x 10 WS lcd. There is a black bar on the top and bottom when I watch movie that are 1:85 aspect ratio. If I watch a full screen standard dvd, it will show black bars on its sides. I am guessing this will be the same with an HD DVD also. The software program you use will allow the video to maintain its original aspect ratio. A PS3 or Xbox 360 however, will probably stretch a 1080P(1920 x 1080) game to 1200 in height.

How does the 360 and ps3 look when it is strached to 1200??

In this review extremetech states, "You have...scaling adjustment if you're sending in a signal that does not map 1:1 with the native resolution." Have you guys messed with the scaling adjustment on the monitor itself to get a PS3 or XBOX360 to scale correctly?

I'm thinking of getting this as well. What I've found so far is:

Newegg: 549.99
Staples: 599.99
Best Buy: 599.99
Costco: 499.99

I clicked on every setting I do not see any scaling adjustment. Unless that is the scaling is internal and will do it automatically. Bceause... I do not see a 1:1 mapping option to enable or disable like how it is on my Gateway 24" This Hanns Should though offer scaling as the Viewsonic 28" LCD has 1:1 mapping. Sorry, don't have a Xbox 360 or PS3 to hookup to this. I only PC game on this thing.

In this review extremetech states, "You have...scaling adjustment if you're sending in a signal that does not map 1:1 with the native resolution." Have you guys messed with the scaling adjustment on the monitor itself to get a PS3 or XBOX360 to scale correctly?

I'm thinking of getting this as well. What I've found so far is:

Newegg: 549.99
Staples: 599.99
Best Buy: 599.99
Costco: 499.99

I think COSTCO is the way to go!

I want to know how PS3/Xbox games will display on this unit!

From others who have hooked up PS3 and Xbox 360, they said it looks great. Too bad I have not heard from them saying it its able to maintain its 1:1 ratio on this Hanns 28"

does any one know how i can connect my 360 to this monitor through HDMI and also have sound comming out of the logitech 5300e speakers??

You can do this, have the HDMI out on the Xbox360 carry the video. Use the other port connection for the Component/Svideo to carry the audio and plug into the Z5300 speakers. But, this will only be a 2 channel audio setup though.

You can do this, have the HDMI out on the Xbox360 carry the video. Use the other port connection for the Component/Svideo to carry the audio and plug into the Z5300 speakers. But, this will only be a 2 channel audio setup though.

i was thinking that but i cant put plug in both the HDMI cable and the video audio cable. cause they made it that the HDMI plug and the other plug are soo close together. its wierd i dunno.

I output mine at 1080p over the component cables via the VGA adapter. I read somewhere that the VGA cable did not do 1080p - so I have not even tried it. Much simpler to know that the component cables work at 1080p - plug those into the VGA adapter and call it a day.

Plus - if you haven't bought the VGA cable - it saves you 50 bucks.

I know it's been a while, but I needed to get back on this and give you props. I had no idea you could do component to vga. Been hoping for a solution to use my 360 on this big screen. Thanks!

(I already have the 360 vga cable and have been using it on my smaller HP 24in)

I know it's been a while, but I needed to get back on this and give you props. I had no idea you could do component to vga. Been hoping for a solution to use my 360 on this big screen. Thanks!

(I already have the 360 vga cable and have been using it on my smaller HP 24in)

You can... But there is one small caveat, The Hanns-G doesn't support 1080p over the VGA connection. The best you'll be able to do is 1080i.

Also the monitor comes with a component to VGA adapter.

Back