Got better chipset on accident.

Toad21

Limp Gawd
I ordered an XFX 5900 back in December. I recieved a box that said XFX 5900 with no XT, but the Heatsink that is on the card is clearly a 5900xt style. Cool bits detects this thing @ 400/700. Which is XT speeds. So for about 4 months I just assumed it was an XT and I was fine with that(I paid $197 for it). Then one day I tried overclocked it and WOW! I got 463/934 stable for hours on end. So I removed the GPU heatsink to put some arctic silver on to try and push it more, and Vwella, its a 5900 chipset.

5900%20GPU.JPG

So is this a 5900 card they sent on accident? Does the XT have a different chipset?

Here is the Heatsink on it to show its an XT style

5900%20Heat.JPG

What do you guys think? I just got supper lucky? The regular 5900 still goes for over 200$.

Oh another thing, The bios says 5900 without the XT as well. Does anyone have this card and can tell me its any different? Or is XFX just the absolute best supplier of the 5900 chipset?

The Nvidia XT is slower than the regular cards from what I have heard. I dunno, since I use ATI (for now). I need another nvdia for liunx. linux ati drivera suck.

5900XT,NU,SE,LE all the same chip,just a rebadged NV-38,,akaNV-35
It's the RAM thats makes,one 5900 from another (not the chip)
Good ram =2.2ns memory=very nice=NU
Most xt's have 2.5ns
Hynix 2.5ns ,is better than Samsungs

Just remember ALL 5900's have same chip.!

the XT's do say "XT" in the corner of the chip, im thinking XFX just put a normal 5900 chip in on it.
but i dont think theres much difference between them anyway.

They can stamp mickymouse's picture on the chip ! it's still going to be a NV-35 AKA NV-38 chip..it's the ram that decides the difference in 5900 based card series performance.

Back