Got an iPhone 14 Pro

Quiz

Gawd
I got it last Tuesday and have been using it for a week now. I'm coming from an iPhone 6s and hot damn at the difference. The 120 Hz screen of the 14 Pro makes the 6s look like a stuttering/jittery mess.

Some questions:

1. Does the 14 Pro's screen support HDR10+ or only Dolby Vision and HDR10?

2. I recorded a test video with the camera with HDR enabled (Dolby Vision) but when I play it back on my PC's SDR monitor, it looks like a regular/standard video. I thought if I played back the video of an Dolby Vision recording on my SDR monitor, it would look like playing an HDR-enabled MKV movie file where all the colors are heavily muted and missing. I recorded a test video with HDR (Dolby Vision) enabled and disabled and both seem to look the same on my PC's SDR monitor. Why is this?

I got it last Tuesday and have been using it for a week now. I'm coming from an iPhone 6s and hot damn at the difference. The 120 Hz screen of the 14 Pro makes the 6s look like a stuttering/jittery mess.

Some questions:

1. Does the 14 Pro's screen support HDR10+ or only Dolby Vision and HDR10?

2. I recorded a test video with the camera with HDR enabled (Dolby Vision) but when I play it back on my PC's SDR monitor, it looks like a regular/standard video. I thought if I played back the video of an Dolby Vision recording on my SDR monitor, it would look like playing an HDR-enabled MKV movie file where all the colors are heavily muted and missing. I recorded a test video with HDR (Dolby Vision) enabled and disabled and both seem to look the same on my PC's SDR monitor. Why is this?
No HDR10+ support, but it does support HLG in addition to Dolby and HDR10. Not surprising since that covers the fundamentals, and HDR10+ is really just Samsung's attempt to replicate key aspects of Dolby Vision without paying for a license.

Think the lack of differences in playback may come down to either Apple handling fallback elegantly or a different file format. Either way, "looks like it should on non-HDR displays" isn't a quirk I'd worry too much about!

No HDR10+ support, but it does support HLG in addition to Dolby and HDR10. Not surprising since that covers the fundamentals, and HDR10+ is really just Samsung's attempt to replicate key aspects of Dolby Vision without paying for a license.

Think the lack of differences in playback may come down to either Apple handling fallback elegantly or a different file format. Either way, "looks like it should on non-HDR displays" isn't a quirk I'd worry too much about!
Thanks.

I noticed that some movies are in HDR10+ on iTunes/Apple TV. What happens when I play them on the 14 Pro? Will it play them in SDR or "downgrade" them to HDR10? I'm assuming it will just play them in HDR10?

Last edited:
Thanks.

I noticed that some movies are in HDR10+ on iTunes/Apple TV. What happens when I play them on the 14 Pro? Will it play them in SDR or "downgrade" them to HDR10? I'm assuming it will just play them in HDR10?
If the title supports HDR10, it'll play them in that mode if Dolby Vision isn't available. And if there's no fallback at all, SDR.

Does anyone know what resolution 4K purchases and rentals play on the iPhone 14 Pro through the Apple TV app? Do they play at 4K or something lower like 1080p?

Does anyone know what resolution 4K purchases and rentals play on the iPhone 14 Pro through the Apple TV app? Do they play at 4K or something lower like 1080p?
The iPhone doesn’t have a 4K display. Resolution can be somewhat controlled, but is limited to either “HD” or “Standard” meaning likely 1080p. Although if it’s 1080p downsampled from 4K, you’d likely not be able to tell the difference, depending on the camera that was used and if you know anything about the debayering process.

Long story short, if downsampled properly, you wont be able to tell the difference between 4K and 1080p on an iPhone screen.

Holy moly that upgrade it worth it, but man you could have updated halfway through lol.

Reactions: Quiz
like this
Back