Got a Ti 4400, need an upgrade to...?

Linuxtim

Limp Gawd
Hi ...[H]...

I have a Ti 4400. This is starting to suck with newer games (i.e. CS:S) so I'm looking for an upgrade. But what would be recomended by the H?

I have a AMD 64 3000+, 512 Ram and play a fair amound of CS:S. I will be playing HL2 also, but skipped Doom3 - though I'll probably play "Doom 3 engine" based games.

Price-wise, the Ati 9800 Pro (@ £140 GBP) seems the best buy at the moment. What do you guys thinks? Is it worth adding another £50 and go for another card?

Cheers

L

No not really, but you could add another $100 american and end up with a 6800 vanilla or some such which doubles the performance of the 9800 series, pretty much.

~Adam

I can get a Asus V9999 Geforce6800GT 128MB for £245 GBP. For a doubling of performance that seems a good deal.

Thanks for the advice, I may just do that.

edit - ahhh it's a GT. Is it worth going for the GE performance wise?

That asus card isn't a real GT. It uses only 128 meg of memory and if I recall correctly the memory is also slower and not cooled.

Get a "real" 6800GT with 256 meg of memory. The real 6800GTs are pretty much the same thing as an ultra but with a smaller heatsink/fan and one less power connector so they come from the factory running a bit slower than the ultras. But other than the raw clock and memory speed, a real 6800GT is almost identical to an ultra.

Those asus GTs are totally false marketing. They're the only company I've found who are labeling what is pretty much just a fancy 128 meg 6800 as a 6800GT. If I worked at Nvidia I'd be pissed and cut off their chip supply because anyone buying that asus fake GT card expecting it to be a real GT is going to be very upset when they find out the truth. They just need to call it something else, otherwise they're just deceiving people.

@ flenser - thanks for that information. Sounds like Asus are trying to confuse people. That's just crappy of them.

@ ElementK - that card seems pretty good. But I'm UK based so no NewEgg goodness for me :-(

So it seems that rather than dropping £150 on a card I may now be dropping £300+. Guess that's the price of being [H]....

Anyway - looking here http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/GeForce_6800_GT.html there's the list of 6800 GT's (not the ultra's, I can't spend £400 on a vga card.... that's just insane).

The price of the Galaxy Glacier GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-003-GL) is £305, and it's got a nicer cooler and a slightly faster core speed (370 vs 350). So it looks like I'll grab that card. Someone should run a TCO analysis of buying Halflife 2/Doom 3. I bet it would be 10x the actual cost of the game... :)

Anyone got one of these Glacier models and give a real world summary (i.e. loud, poor quality etc)?

As always, thanks in advance

L

Linuxtim said:
The price of the Galaxy Glacier GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-003-GL) is £305, and it's got a nicer cooler and a slightly faster core speed (370 vs 350). So it looks like I'll grab that card. Someone should run a TCO analysis of buying Halflife 2/Doom 3. I bet it would be 10x the actual cost of the game... :)

Anyone got one of these Glacier models and give a real world summary (i.e. loud, poor quality etc)?

As always, thanks in advance

L

The Galaxy Glacier GeForce 6800 GT are some nice cards. They have been getting a lot of good press, and use the artic-cooling silencer (stock). only thing to consider about this card is that due to the HSF this card will use 2 slots. I think you will be happy with the card though...

The GT is the middle of the road in terms of 6800 performance. I almost always go for middle of the road (I bought a 4400 when they first came out, 4200 was too slow and a 4600 was too much money). That 4400 has lasted me 2 years. I'm happy that I bought it but now I need an upgrade.

The card I bought is retailing with 370 MHz core, 1000 MHz Ram and a quiet/enhanced cooler pre-fitted. It seems more bang for buck than a 6800 std:

- nVidia GeForce 6800 LE GPU
- 8 Pixel Pipelines
- 300MHz Core GPU clock speed
- 700MHz DDR memory clock speed

I do take steve216s point though. I can't find that card on-line in the UK. I think it would be a cheaper card by, say, £75 but you are not guaranteed a good OC and it probably will shorten the life-span of the card. I'd be looking to keep this card for 2 years so OC'ing is down on my list of features to look for.

But you've all helped me get the card that I (hope) I'll be happy with so big thanks.

D

Linuxtim said:
The GT is the middle of the road in terms of 6800 performance. I almost always go for middle of the road (I bought a 4400 when they first came out, 4200 was too slow and a 4600 was too much money). That 4400 has lasted me 2 years. I'm happy that I bought it but now I need an upgrade.

The card I bought is retailing with 370 MHz core, 1000 MHz Ram and a quiet/enhanced cooler pre-fitted. It seems more bang for buck than a 6800 std:

- nVidia GeForce 6800 LE GPU
- 8 Pixel Pipelines
- 300MHz Core GPU clock speed
- 700MHz DDR memory clock speed

I do take steve216s point though. I can't find that card on-line in the UK. I think it would be a cheaper card by, say, £75 but you are not guaranteed a good OC and it probably will shorten the life-span of the card. I'd be looking to keep this card for 2 years so OC'ing is down on my list of features to look for.

But you've all helped me get the card that I (hope) I'll be happy with so big thanks.

D

the le I'm talking about doesnt stand for the le you know this one is the limited edition 6800 they cost $325 so far they all come with 16pipes unlocked anda ram at 1100 with a 325 core they are just 6800ultras that counld reach ultra speeds on the core other then that there excatly like the ultra samn psb dual dvi 2molex conectors and the ultra hsf if you can find one in the uk that be a card to get

heres a discution all ready going on about it

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=820018&page=2&pp=20

heres what they look like on newegg
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-212&depa=1

Back