Got a SM H8QGI+-F No Power Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

wings2004

Limp Gawd
Didn't think of this when I was getting all my parts but what do you all recommend for a power switch, I just turned it on now by shorting the two pins but I don't think that is a very good long term solution (who knows maybe it is...)

Further I'll be starting my linux install later today, will advise if I end up needing help, never did a full install before so this should be interesting...

Wings (getting back on the damn wagon already!)

i use a screw driver I got for christmas, cheapest solution ever...

If you can find a place that sells it (Amazon maybe?), Startech sells a complete ATX switch plus LED pack (power switch, reset switch, power LED, HDD activity LED, and sleep LED) for about 2 bucks more. That's what I ended up going with... found it at a local retailer.

Once you put the modded oc bios on it. It will auto power on when you plug in the power cord. I just use that now lol

OK, so thanks for the info on the switch, now I'm having install troubles. I used UNebootin to make a live usb of 12.04 LTS and it gets to the "what do you want to do" screen. I select install ubuntu and it says "you are running in low graphics mode" I say yes, do that this time, and then it throws me to the console... what am I screwing up? or do I have to use 10.10...

Well I remade the Unebootin USB to be "other HD" and it seems to be working... will advise as this continues!

Ya, that's the set I found locally. Works perfectly! The one thing I did do though is put some extra heat shrink on the power switches. They are 6 pin switches and only 2 of the contacts are used. Since I left the switches loosely hanging from the motherboard and not attached to anything, I felt it was safer to cover up the open contacts so they don't accidentally short something out on the motherboard for instance. But I'm also just paranoid like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back