Got a new lens for my D30!

LiquidKernel

2[H]4U
I was deciding on what wide-angle lens to get for my D30 for a while. I looked at the Canon 17-40mm USM L, but due to the 1.6x crop of the D30, I wanted something wider. So I found that the Sigma EX 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5 would be best.

I got it second-hand on eBay for $385, which is a good deal compared to it being $600 new.

It comes in this week, I will post pics when I get it :)

mdude85 said:
you should have gotten the sigma 12-24.... ;)

Yeah it's only twice as much as what he paid...

Anyways..i'm slowly starting to love WA photography...you should have fun w/ it.

I've looked at both the Sigma 15-30 and the Canon 17-40. I've dicided to save and go with the Canon. I hear lots of good things about the Sigma, but I hear some bad as well. Most people complain about the flare and softness in the mid range of the lens.

[TQ] said:
Yeah it's only twice as much as what he paid...

Anyways..i'm slowly starting to love WA photography...you should have fun w/ it.

twice as much if he gets ripped off...

Yes I like it a lot too (WA photography).

Got my lens today! Excellent condition and an awesome lens.

Excuse the image quality, was shot at ISO1600 for some reason (forgot to change it back after last use)..
CRW_9707_RJ.JPG

This is my kitchen's skylight while sitting in a chair..

CRW_9714_RJ.JPG

This lens is damn wide!

Okay, apparently wide-open it's pretty soft. A few stops up and it's better. Otherwise a PS sharpen mask helps.

One cleaned-out thread.

[TQ] - don't let the door hit you on your way out

LiquidKernel - you need to clean your skylight :p

Now go forth and take some cool pics with your new toy. I myself am thinking ultrawide fisheye for my next lens

This is from yesterday, but I already started getting the hang of this lens..

Sister holding a tomato.
IMG_9863.JPG

ISO 400, f/4.5, 1/10s, hand-held.

You can see that as soon as I get away from f/3.5, it gets sharp... oh well, no big deal really.

jimnms said:
I've looked at both the Sigma 15-30 and the Canon 17-40. I've dicided to save and go with the Canon. I hear lots of good things about the Sigma, but I hear some bad as well. Most people complain about the flare and softness in the mid range of the lens.

The softness seems to be limited to wide-open shooting, a stop up and it's a lot sharper. But yes, I'm not happy about it being soft.

LiquidKernel said:
The softness seems to be limited to wide-open shooting, a stop up and it's a lot sharper. But yes, I'm not happy about it being soft.

a lot of lenses are like this... most of the reviews i read about this lens complaed about flare and the slow af... never heard complaints about sharpness... perhaps you should send it back to sigma?

oh and moar pics of your sister ;)

FLECOM said:
a lot of lenses are like this... most of the reviews i read about this lens complaed about flare and the slow af... never heard complaints about sharpness... perhaps you should send it back to sigma?

oh and moar pics of your sister ;)

I bought it second hand, but have all the warranty cards (unfilled) and whatnot. Would Sigma fix that? Biatches.

Oh and NEIN.

LiquidKernel said:

LiquidKernel, I do NOT think this is a problem with your lens -- I think this is an issue with the D30. Many people have "complained" that it takes soft pics on occasion. I tend to agree much of the time. Try strapping your lens to another camera and see what happens.

mdude85 said:
LiquidKernel, I do NOT think this is a problem with your lens -- I think this is an issue with the D30. Many people have "complained" that it takes soft pics on occasion. I tend to agree much of the time. Try strapping your lens to another camera and see what happens.

Are you sure? Since I talked to the person who previously owned this and he says it's quite soft wide-open. I can't find anything about people complaining.. can you show me some links?

that picture of your sister holding the tamato is really awesome :)

i wish i had a wide angle lens :)

congrads dude :)

LiquidKernel said:
I bought it second hand, but have all the warranty cards (unfilled) and whatnot. Would Sigma fix that? Biatches.

Oh and NEIN.

possibly, worth a shot no?

and :(

Back