Got a new graphics when I had paid for an open item one

Steampunk

Limp Gawd
So I just got my new 6870 which I had ordered for 76 bucks off of newegg which it in itself is a pretty good deal. Turns out, that the graphics card was brand new factory sealed. I know some stuff that they sell as used at places like Amazon sometimes give you new stuff. Does newegg do that sometimes with open box stuff, or did I get lucky?

My guess:

I noticed they discontinued the sku for the new cards so maybe they just said f*ck it and decided to lump the new ones in with w/e used ones they still had.
Anyways, I'll take 60 off a brand new GPU anyday! :D

Newegg lumps refurbs in with open box items. they used to call it the refurb category but changed it to "open box" a few years ago

It was factory sealed like my other PowerColor. It did have a piece of scotch tape keeping the static bag closed, I don't remember my 6850 having that. It might be a refurb but none of the stickers or packaging don't look any different than my 6850.

yeah if they are shrink wrapped they are usually refurbs. sometimes its added to the info or to the listing name of the item what it is. either way i'd take a refurb over an open box, so you got a good deal.

Short answer idk. They do track the warranty info by serial number so I'll see what happens tomorrow.

If there was scotch tape and not an actual sticker that you had to rip to get the antistatic bag open, it wasn't "factory sealed".

Most, maybe all of my video cards came in a box, no shrink wrap, just a metallic or clear seal over the covers so they know if it had been opened or not.

Probably has to do with the discontinued fact. Open Box on Newegg can mean just about anything it seems these days. That was a lucky one!

I've received a motherboard that was sealed as well as a Samuel 17 that was brand new. Both items were purchased as open box, so it can happen.

Back