Hey guys. I just picked up a m1730 last night for $600

Specs

Core 2 Extreme X9000 2.8ghz can overclock to 3.4 in the bios
4gb ram
320gb hard drive
8800M GTX SLI
17" 1920x1200 screen.

What do you guys think ? :p

Yeah, I was on craigslist looking for a m11x to take on a trip this weekend and found it. Used to have a xps m1701 and m170. Now I can get my wife into BC2 by letting her play on my surround setup.

Drove to the ghetto in dallas and got it from two guys who barely spoke english. They had an apartment full of laptops and desktops lol.

I just got the same laptop off of the Dell outlet in the scratch and dent section for $599. I just needed an extra laptop for an emergency spare and for the price its very powerful and a good gamer.

Stack

You got lucky. I looked at the dell site before I left to pick it up and all the ones I found were over $1,000 with 8800s.

Congrats, very nice price for near top-of-the-line last gen gaming laptop. Build quality on those m1730s is excellent.

Congrats, very nice price for near top-of-the-line last gen gaming laptop. Build quality on those m1730s is excellent.

i wouldn't call it last gen...more like last last gen or even last last last gen? but i do agree with the build quality. they seemed solid.

You got lucky. I looked at the dell site before I left to pick it up and all the ones I found were over $1,000 with 8800s.

You have to be very very quick!!! I think some of those systems are one only deals, I started looking at some of the Alienware M17x r.2 when they had the 20% coupons last month and you could get a nice M17x with Dual 5870's for $1500.....

They lasted 15mins. I got back from lunch and they where over $2200 when I sorted low to high.

When they put a bunch of cheap ones up there they go very quick.

Yeah, I was really impressed with the build quality. My old m1701 and m170 always had a crappy feel to them. This one feels sturdy and looks alot more scratch resistant.

I played some bad company 2 on it last night. I turned the cpu up to 3.2 and it ran great.
If it will play that on high settings. It will play everything that im playing right now.

I dont care if it is last last gen for $600 it stomps a m11x and kicks the teeth out of the $600 celerons and pentium dual cores at bestbuy and walmart.

As far as battery. I always have my laptop plugged in. Even when I had a macbook pro with its 6 hour battery... it was always plugged in.

You have to be very very quick!!! I think some of those systems are one only deals, I started looking at some of the Alienware M17x r.2 when they had the 20% coupons last month and you could get a nice M17x with Dual 5870's for $1500.....

They lasted 15mins. I got back from lunch and they where over $2200 when I sorted low to high.

When they put a bunch of cheap ones up there they go very quick.

Unfortunately, Outlet is normally crawled by Ebay/reseller leaches who grab good deals in bulk. Dell has tried to impliment checks to block crawlers from working, but they always find a way around. Good to hear there are still lucky individuals who get lucky once and a while.

I just got the same laptop off of the Dell outlet in the scratch and dent section for $599. I just needed an extra laptop for an emergency spare and for the price its very powerful and a good gamer.

Stack

Just a heads up you might want to check out throttle stop. It will unlock the multiplier. I got my running at 3.8ghz now!!!! I saw a few posts where people hit 4ghz.

Talk about Desktop replacement.

Just make sure you keep the fan vents open when in use. They are known to get to enough to cause GPU failures. I keep mine on a lap type food tray when I'm not using it on a table.

They are a very good laptop and was a nice upgrade to my old M170.

So I just realized these XPS M1730 laptops Dell is selling are all 8700M and 8800M Nvidia chips that where recalled for high failure rates, so I asked around the Dell forums and from what I gather they have a new BIOS patch that is supposed to keep the failure from occurring.

Back