Good Old Games (www.gog.com) is dead

Rebel44

2[H]4U
R.I.P.

Here is their announcment:
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/5014/gogshutdown.png

Dear GOG users,
We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We have debated on it for quite some time and, unforunately, we have decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.

We are very grateful for all support we have recieved from all of you in past 2 years. Working on GOG.com was great adventure for all of us and an unforgettable journey to the past, through the long and wonderfull history of PC gaming.

This doesnt mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever.We are closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challages await.

On a technical note, this week we will put in place a solution to allow everyone to redownload their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates.

All the best,
GOG.com Team

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't buy alot off of them because I just don't have the time to game that much, but their selection was AWESOME.

Is it too late to buy a copy of Septerra Core? and all the Tex Murphys?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't buy alot off of them because I just don't have the time to game that much, but their selection was AWESOME.

Is it too late to buy a copy of Septerra Core? and all the Tex Murphys?

Their website is down already (or it is because of massive increase of traffic).

I just hope that someone like Impulse or Steam will buy them.

That is a damn shame, now I'm kicking myself for not buying the games I wanted (was waiting for them to announce Windows 7 support)

Fuuuck. Never used them, so I guess it's my fault, but I appreciated the idea... you know, at a distance.

Their website is down already (or it is because of massive increase of traffic).

I just hope that someone like Impulse or Steam will buy them.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Valve makes some kind of move.

Fuuuck. Never used them, so I guess it's my fault, but I appreciated the idea... you know, at a distance.

Yeah, i never bought, but my sympathies lied with them. Was on their site recently actually. Duke Nukem 3D was popular there at the time.

Ugh, this is bad news. I have games I bought them from I never downloaded either...and to think I just got an email from them about a weekend deal. It almost doesn't make sense for them to shut down like this. Something serious must have went wrong.

I emailed Gabe and told him to buy it. And he better listen or else I won't..... Umm.. I won't.... Hrmmmm... Well he just better!

Unannounced shutdowns never make sense. It's like someone a lot higher up above the staff decided to be a prick today & told them to shutdown with no questions asked. >_>

I just got an e-mail from them, on Friday, advertising their latest sale. Damn, this sux. GOG was the best place to get older games at bargain bin prices. I've got at least 8-10 of their games stored on my drives.

GOG.com is dead. Long live GOG.com!!! :)

wow, lead news on every forum. and no, I don't think gog is a monolithic company, most likely a few people running it out of their basement, keeping it afloat with personal savings the past X period of time. Issue being that times are tough and the gaming industry has been hurting bad. Everyone likes to point to kotick and MW2 and think how the industry as a whole is making tons of money, but the reality is that a few games are gobbling up the entire pie and the rest are all having to struggle to get crumbs.

This is absolutely tragic news. Granted, I already owned most of the games I've purchased from them, but it was nice to have digital copies without DRM and which could just work on my computer without having to go through hoops.

Hopefully someone buys up their catelog, and transfers licenses over...

This sucks. I should've grabbed the games when I had the chance. Damn. :(

Are you kididng me? They didnt' even have any build up to this or notice, wow.

They just released games tuesday and now this...wtf happened?

I thougth they were doing fairly good business wise, i know lots of my friend sbought from them.

Unannounced shutdowns never make sense. It's like someone a lot higher up above the staff decided to be a prick today & told them to shutdown with no questions asked. >_>

It makes perfect sense, businesses never relay bad news to the public, they just keep going like nothing is wrong, they can't afford for bad news to escape and cause a panic amongst customers and investors.

This sort of stuff is always done at the last second.

As I posted in the front page thread, I think this is due to the way they remove the DRM (they've been caught using pirate cracks):

http://www.fuyoh.net/2010/05/06/gog-works-in-mysterious-ways/
They have said that they do it with permission of the copyright holders. The alternative is to get access to the source, figure it out and patch it out. Not feasible. I also doubt GOG did much volume compared to steam so not much incentive from a publishers perspective. And finally you are mostly talking about OLD GAMES. The source probably doesn't exist for a lot of them except on floppy disks in some guys attic.

With the current culture of Kotick and RIAA, MPAA, Ubisoft et al., I wouldn't doubt for one second if publishers feel like they are missing out on a "piece of the pie" even if the games are near 15 years old.

I'm sorry, but to think those companies wouldn't get that greedy is rather unfortunate for yourself.

wow, lead news on every forum. and no, I don't think gog is a monolithic company, most likely a few people running it out of their basement, keeping it afloat with personal savings the past X period of time.
GOG is owned and run by CD Projekt, who are a Polish developer and publisher best known for The Witcher.

What a fucking lame PR stunt. They make some fucking shitty ass png called gogshutdown.png and then later say oh no GOG is not dead. Well fucking say it next time. Fail for PR stunt, honestly have less desire to use them in the future.

eh, my understanding of that stock is that cd projekt bought out a broke company as a means of listing themselves on the stock market. That may be the jump in value of the stock. clueless as to the drop. usually a drop means selling activity, not a buyout.

I believe Gametap is about to completely tank.

I don't have any expectation that Valve or anyone else is going to make a bid for 'em...

So why do some of you believe it's a marketing stunt? Besides going 50/50 here, so then you can be like lololol i told you so geeze im uber, what proof backs up your reasoning?

Here's mine and why it's not:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23420772&postcount=385

It's not much, but at least it's a bit more educated than 2 words.

That link makes little sense. As the previous post stated, its a reverse acquisition....so CD Projekt essentially buys a publicly traded company. There is no "mystery investor" the change in shares is due to the reverse acquisition occurring last month.

CDP itself is doing some reorganization but give me a break. They create a dramatic website with a image file when all they are going to do is relaunch the site at some point in the future. No other information......I call that a PR stunt, sry.

gog's customer service is non-existing, which is a big deal to me, since none of the games i purchased from them worked. and while my situation is not very common, i won't care if they really do go under.

New youtube video message,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDRvuKjissQ

It appears it IS a marketing ploy. Mainly because in the video, at the 11-12'ish sec mark, you see the Balder's Gate series, which is not on gog at the moment.

So it looks like they are going to come back Wed/Thursday into full release with some new games from peoples most anticipated lists.

eh, sounds like they are going to move away from the no DRM model as long term it is not a viable business plan.

eh, sounds like they are going to move away from the no DRM model as long term it is not a viable business plan.

Umm, no, where'd you hear this? They said and I quote, "At the same time we guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday."

Hopefully not yet another digital distribution service. We don't need all these competitors because no one uses a standardized model that developers can follow for DRM and such. The idea of buying a game through Steam or whever that comes bloated with DRM is mind boggling retarded.

Doesn't contradict, their OLD releases are still DRM-free, the question is about the future.

However, going to DRM will sort of just make them an also-run. Besides, DRM for old games doesn't make any sense to me, because they were all cracked anyhow. Isn't the point of GOG to be an alternative to illegal downloading? I just don't see them having a business model worth supporting if they go DRM.

Doesn't contradict, their OLD releases are still DRM-free, the question is about the future.

However, going to DRM will sort of just make them an also-run. Besides, DRM for old games doesn't make any sense to me, because they were all cracked anyhow. Isn't the point of GOG to be an alternative to illegal downloading? I just don't see them having a business model worth supporting if they go DRM.

They still have one worth supporting: Cheap old games that actually work on modern systems. Its pretty rare that these games have any kind of community support that mods them to make them work.

Back