good non conductive liquid

Caffeinatedsoap

Limp Gawd
me and my friend are about 2 set out 2 submerge a comp in vegie oil but is there anything else out there that would be a better idea?

transformer oil.

Or mineral oil.

I though vegetable oil was slightly conductive.

mineral oil seems to be the choice for this type of thing

u want 2 get used 2 spelling?

You know those pole pigs that sit on top of power poles? They're submerged in oil. Get yourself some of that.

Make sure you get all the dust and whatnot off of the mobo before you submerge it.

I've seen a page that did it in mineral oil, but there is also a fluid that we used to use in the dental x-ray equipment called dielectric oil that is non-conductive. McMaster Carr doesn't seem to sell it, but it might be fairly readily available or even cheap.

Mineral oil will be the best choice for you. It is relativly in-exspensive and avalable from pharmacies. To see if a fluid is conductive go out and by a fluke and test it for resitance

Originally posted by kleptophobiac
u want 2 get used 2 spelling?

You know those pole pigs that sit on top of power poles? They're submerged in oil. Get yourself some of that.
You mean like transformer oil?;)

well its sitting outside i put the fsb and i dont know the jumper 2 reset it and i dont feel like testing them all so i am dling the man. so far -2c not what i expected

you mean you actually considered vegitable oil?

that would probably make for the most rancid, sick ass computer ever. Have fun upgrading too.

but if u actually do this post some pics, i'm sure we'd all like to check it out.;)

Were you at the LAN this weekend? Who are you?

Anyway, if you're going to put a box outside for a while, do protect the mechanical things. Fans, HDD's, CD drives, etc do not like being cold.

O yeah i got bored 2 day so i did a submersion exeriment.

System specs:

700mhz Duron
384mb pc133
16mb video card
20gb hd
200w ps

Other Stuff:

3 things of mineral oil
tupperware
12 pack of Barq's (Barq's has bite)
Joe

Teh Crew:

Wes (me)
Wes.JPG

Joe (not me)
Joe.JPG

Pics:

Tupperware!
1.JPG

Teh equipment
2.JPG

Before submertion (outside)
3.JPG

Setup
4.JPG

Submerged
5.JPG

After Submersion
6.JPG

Blurry Picture
7.JPG

Veggie oil works.

http://twistedforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7364

How much is mineral oil? I guarentee veggie oil is cheaper. Also, is there any chance of the many pieces of silicon in a computer to begin to break down in mineral or veggie oil? I was thinking of submerging the server in my closet with veggie oil to cool it down some and make it quiet.

I'm betting he's just letting it sit outside....

hey wes, I've got a pump lying around, and if you're willing to spend $15 for an autozone heater core, and a few bucks for tubing and fittings at home depot, I'd let you borrow the pump for a while, and you'd have some über temps while you're outside.

...Now go overclock some more, and try this with your A64 box!

there is no way this stuff is touching my 64... we were gonna cool it down more w/ ice in bags but we didnt get that far because of the i/o failure. It was sitting outside. We are gonna have another go sometime this week.

Well.. Just don't pull any connectors in that oil with the power on. Spark jump could light it up.

I like 3m flourinert FC-77 myself. But then, we've been using it for like ??? 25 years? at work. (Cray) I built a 1Ghz 486 with the stuff many years back. (dunno if the old forum is archived, but you might look for it)

Only problems with nert' is evaporation and flame. You have to run a sealed or mostly sealed system, and ANY sparks or open flames and you have a nerve gas derivitive on your hands. (see material data sheets at 3M for more info) However it pumps and sprays great for small system evaporative cooling mechanisms for HIGH heat cpus.

Plus the empty jugs make bitchin' old oil containers for my rally cars ;)

iw

Back