Good mech game for the PC

TeK-FX

Limp Gawd
I have been wanting to play a decent mech game lately and I have not really seen or heard about any in that genre lately.

The last game I played that was mech based was Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance and before that Shogo, and Robotech on gamecube (story sucked but I loved multiplayer).

Now I am on the hunt for a new mech game and thought I would look to the experts on the [H] to help me, so does anyone have any suggesstions? Thanks

Wow Shogo, monolith 1 engine game, damn!

ok, the best of the Mechwarrior in the series is #3 - its more simmy then 4 but has better custimization.
(of course this my 'humble opinion') -

Mechwarrior III was the last decent mech game to be released, spent many hours of my life playing that one. Microsoft ruined the mechwarrior series when they bought FASA.

What sucks is there really hasn't been any decent mech sims on the pc really.

Since Mechwarrior 5 was canned it's just been....dead, any new mech type of game just seems arcadey/not a sim like mechwarrior or anything.

I wish they'd make either a new mechwarrior or a new Heavy gear :(.

As far as sim's go, IMO The last good one was on the Xbox, Steel Batallion. It's probally one, if not the most detailed mech sims ever. It comes with it's own controller/footpedals and everything.

Will run you roughly a hundred bucks or so today.

You can see more about it/the controller here:
http://www.steelbattalion.org/controller.php

Xecutor said:
Mechwarrior III was the last decent mech game to be released, spent many hours of my life playing that one. Microsoft ruined the mechwarrior series when they bought FASA.

Agreed!!! SO agreed that its not even funny!

Mechwarrior 3 was the last best mechwarrior game.
the graphics were better, most of the weapons were better...
oh the autocanons really rocked! and the pulse lasers were pretty cool too.

and you actually didn't have to move the torso in order to aim!
your mech actually had elbows, so only the arms moved when you moved, if you wanted that.
and the torso movement was a bit sluggish (as to be expected) like a real tanks.

Have you tried the Mech Commander series?

And Mechwarrior 2: Mercs was pretty good.

It's depressing to me that when the question "What's a good 'Mech game!?" is asked, the only things people can bring up are games > 3 years old. Well, maybe MW4:Mercs is a smidgen newer than that.. but I don't consider it to be a terribly good 'Mech game (that's not to say I didn't play MW4 religiously for the better part of 2 years).

Oh well.. space flight "sims" and 'Mech "sims" have simply disappeared, I suppose...

Occult said:
Can you interface that with the PC? I would kill for a controller like that :D

It'll take some finangling, but there are those who have it working.

Xbcd has alpha support... Vtchid is written for the Steel Battalion controller.

I haven't done it myself yet, so if you go for it... Good luck and let us know how it goes.

-dB

Heavy Gear 1 and 2... so crusty old that you will need to find a used copy somewhere.
Although, I did see HG2 in the value rack (the ones that are just in a jewel case) back around XMas at CompUSA.

Could you imaging a gritty mech combat game in the style of Battlefield 2? A Heavy Gear brought up to today's graphics would rock.

Mechwarrior mercenaries for pc was ok

My favourite is the Armor core series for ps1 and ps2

Mechwarrior 2 was 10x better than 4. MW4 just didnt have the same "atmosphere" that MW2 did. Amazing times with MW2.....

Gosh......I was so young when I played it. It was MW2, then snack time with teddy grams at 4:30 :D

The last good one I remember playing was Heavy Gear 2. Didn't that come out after Mechwarrior 3? Wow, it really has been a long time since I played a good mech game.

I loved Shogo, but it seemed more like a FPS even in the robot than a Mech game.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, you have all doomed my hopes and dreams for a GOOD mech game. :rolleyes:

I have noticed the mech genre slowly slipping away these past few years.

The one game mentioned, Steel Battalion sounds awesome, too bad its not for PC, and to be able to use pedals and a custom controller would just rock!

I think I might take a peek into the Mech Commander game, sounds more like RTS instead the "in the cockpit watching everything die while you blow it away" catagory. I think I may have looked at it once but it could not hurt to take another peek.

It's been a while since I played Mech Commander, but if I remember right it was an average game, but had several game crashing bugs. I liked the board game better.

MechCommander 2 was an okay game. It was sort of an RTS with one unit. Definitely a game of tactical strategy, and how you equipped your mechs and used your best pilots had a big impact on your success. It was a particularly great game, but it's worth checking out.

MechCommander 1 > Mechcommander 2, but not by much.

i kinda liked the whole multiple squads things in MC1.
And the weapons were old school in that one too.
Made it a bit more fun.

If you really want to go old school, go download Battletech 2: The crescent hawks revenge.
but this is a 1990 or something game.

you might also want to try Freespace 2, not really a mech sim, but its really good!
I know its old, but it still holds up in many areas against many of todays best games.
Theres a reason why it was concidered the best game of the year and was one of the most popular space sims ever. (even beat out Wing Commander 5)

If you played Mechwarrior 4, but not 3, then you really should give 3 a try. I think you will might find it better in many aspects (even graphics to some degree)

Yes, I liked Starsiege from Sierra too. I guess Mech2 from Activision was the best of the lot but Starsiege was pretty good for its time.

jgoewert said:
Heavy Gear 1 and 2... so crusty old that you will need to find a used copy somewhere.
Although, I did see HG2 in the value rack (the ones that are just in a jewel case) back around XMas at CompUSA.

Could you imaging a gritty mech combat game in the style of Battlefield 2? A Heavy Gear brought up to today's graphics would rock.

QFT!! heavy gear 2 is one of the best mech games i have ever played.

Khaydarin said:
Mechwarrior 2 was 10x better than 4. MW4 just didnt have the same "atmosphere" that MW2 did. Amazing times with MW2.....

Gosh......I was so young when I played it. It was MW2, then snack time with teddy grams at 4:30 :D

Lol, me too, I loved MW2, I also played 4 online a LOT of time, in the summer, I was up at 7:00a.m. played all day until 3:00am went to bed. Traded off with my brother playing though too. A MW5 would dominate in using todays graphics etc. though, too bad it won't happen :( .

Back