Good laptop for BF3

Nemik8800

Limp Gawd
I'm not really worried about size. I just need something that will run Battlefield 3 well. I can't find any charts on current ati vs nvidia mobile. Those would be helpful. My budget is $1,100 new/used/refurbished. I'm looking at strictly MSI, Sagar and ASUS brands. Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Here's a list of all current mobile GPUs, roughly ranked in order of performance.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

Asus G74 is a solid option.

Best Buy G74

I just sold my G72GX last week, and it could only play BC2 smoothly with a mix of medium/low settings. I'd say get a something 560m GTX or better. I think the Asus will be the best option for that price, unless you can really configure a good deal from Sager or someone.

used sagers/asus with gtx 560m and i7 2620qm general goes for around 900. check out for sale on notebookreview.

Dont go with the Bestbuy G74 it has a crippled GPU.

Close to $1100 i would go with Sager NP8130 $1119 free ground shipping take as it is, or if you have $80 to spare, i would go with i7 2630QM since BF3 would be ideal with a quad core. The only change i would do in time is to replace the HDD with SSD like Crucial M4, but its not needed, just makes laptops fun to work with.

The G71 had the heat issues, not the G72. The G73/G74 have excellent cooling.

^ That Sager is not a bad deal at all, but the G74 will get you a bigger screen if you care.

Screen size is not a big deal. I'm more worried about long term reliability and performance. However Sagar asks for $90 extra for a matte screen so that takes it out of my price range. It does not have to be an i7 system. I also looking at i5 quad core systems. Are the 3gb 560m GPU's in SLI? I noticed they come in 1.5gb, 2gb and 3gb variations. I've also noticed the 480m SLI seems to be faster than the 560m SLI? Does this transfer over to real time, in game performance as well? Is it due to inefficient drivers? This will be replacing my desktop.

Last edited:
Screen size is not a big deal. I'm more worried about long term reliability and performance. However Sagar asks for $90 extra for a matte screen so that takes it out of my price range..
Matte screens are more common on expensive buisness class notebook, most consumer notebooks that you will find today will come with glossy screens, but sager does offer the matte screen but as an upgrade. If feel the matter screen is a must, and willing to sacrifice gpu performance, then check Sager NP5165, starting at $869, you could upgrade the matte screen and quad core and still be with in your $1100 budget, but at the cost of having a GT555m instead of a GTX560m.

It does not have to be an i7 system. I also looking at i5 quad core systems.
There are no i5 quads like in desktops, all quads on laptops are i7, the i7 2630qm is the base line, which is still a very good cpu for a laptop. All i5 are dual cores, if you need a quad, just gotta go with i7.

Are the 3gb 560m GPU's in SLI? I noticed they come in 1.5gb, 2gb and 3gb variations..
Careful here, the 1.5gb and 3gb are the ones to go for, they come with 192bit, while the 1gb and 2gb are bestbuy water down versions that come with 128bit.

I've also noticed the 480m SLI seems to be faster than the 560m SLI? Does this transfer over to real time, in game performance as well? Is it due to inefficient drivers? This will be replacing my desktop.
The 480m, 485m and 580m are high end mobile gpus, on a league on their own, the only other gpus that compete with them are AMD 6970/6990m. The GTX560m is more value oriented gpu, still good perfromance for the price (contrary to what the GTX580m is with almost $800 per gpu), but still is like 40% behind it. Drivers will never make up that difference.

The best performance you can get for $1200 is the 8130, if you were to increase you budget some, you could go with 8150 and upgrade the gpu to 6990, but it will be more expensive.

Last edited:
Does the G74 have the overheating issues like the G73?

The G71 had the heat issues, not the G72. The G73/G74 have excellent cooling.

^ That Sager is not a bad deal at all, but the G74 will get you a bigger screen if you care.

My g73 may be the most comfortable laptop in terms of not burning your genitals to a crisp I've ever used. Love that design, even if it does look weird.

*edit I have the 460m version, I haven't been able to force myself to try bf3 on it yet.

If that's truly a re-badged Sager I'm sold.
Seems like a great price for the hardware it has, remember to go for the quad core i7 2630qm at least, its only $30, as BF3 does use 4 cores.

Back