good cooler for 920 i7

vietkangta

Limp Gawd
What's a good cooler, for an i7 920? I only want to put it at 3 ghz.

I need one that is cheap and doesn't make a lot of noise at that speed.

I'm new to this so i need something easy to install also.

if you are looking for cheap then Xigmatek DK would be a great choice, cost is about $39.99
if you have more of a budget then there is the CoolerMaster V8, Noctua, and the TRUE

if you are looking for cheap then Xigmatek DK would be a great choice, cost is about $39.99
if you have more of a budget then there is the CoolerMaster V8, Noctua, and the TRUE

I agree. For those on a budget, the Xigmatek is ideal. For those willing to spend a bit more to get a top-notch quality cooler and possibly lose a few more degrees, the Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 is the way to go.

isn't the extreme 120 for the older sockets?

I can spend up to 70 bucks for a cooler. I just want a nice quiet one, that does a good job cooling my overclocked cpu.

isn't the extreme 120 for the older sockets?

I can spend up to 70 bucks for a cooler. I just want a nice quiet one, that does a good job cooling my overclocked cpu.

No, they now offer a 1366 version with different brackets.

I was reading about those but aren't they for the core 2 sockets?

No, they now offer a 1366 version with different brackets.

Would that fit in an antec 900 or nzxt tempest case?

They look huge.

I hope its easy to install.

I'm just looking for a good cooler that costs under 100 bucks.

Also, i cant; seem to find some of these on newegg. As a matter of fact i can find barely any cooler for the i7.

I'd suggest the Thermal Take Big Typhoon VX. It is extremely silent event at high setting (2000 rpm). It is one of the top air cooling solutions available. I Also have a 920, and it works well and silent. I bought the little adapter for the Typhoon to work on socket 1366, which adds 6$ + shipping to the bill, but it really works like a charm. I'm still experimenting, but 3.2 Ghz on everyday use with HT on is no problem at all, and 3.8 ghz with HT off (possibly even more, haven't tried 4ghz yet).

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1135&ID=1552

so many options! So which one would be better for quieter cooling and fits in either an antec 900 , antec p182, or nzxt tempest?

Or should i upgrade to some full tower case and not worry? Like the cooler master cosmos?

so many options! So which one would be better for quieter cooling and fits in either an antec 900 , antec p182, or nzxt tempest?

I know for sure that the TRUE 120 will fit into the P182 (I'm currently using it in my P180).

Reports suggest the Megahelems from Prolimatech is the new top of the heap. Only boutique stores like PerformancePCs and FrozenCPU will probably carry it at first. No telling if it will be cheaper than Thermalright since they're trying to make a name for themselves.

AFAIK the Scythe Mugen II is pretty decent at cooling Nehalems and in the same price range too. The S1283 is a 3 pipe solution that given the size of the Nehalem die wouldnt cool as well as the 4 pipe Xigmatek Thor's Hammer or Scythe Mugen II. My 2c.

ok i;ve narrowed down to either the NOCTUA or TRUE. Which one should i get? They are about the same price. I'm leaning towards the Noctua because it seems to be more silent.

ok i;ve narrowed down to either the NOCTUA or TRUE. Which one should i get? They are about the same price. I'm leaning towards the Noctua because it seems to be more silent.

They both cool about the same.

My TRUE came from factory looking scratched on the base. I think they have a quality control issue as I have read that on the reviews. No big deal if you lap it yourself...

Back