good cheap laser printer? with cheap toner?

If you're looking for laser printers, it's worth checking the CDW Outlet. I'm very happy with the Brother I got early last year. Although the toner warning might be a little sensitive, it's easy to reset, and we'll see how many times it needs to be reset before the toner is actually low (have reset once so far)

My long lived Samsung Laser died after more than 10 years and was replaced over a year ago with a Brother HL-1110 for only £70.
Works great.

Me personally? I favor older HP LaserJets. I have an HP 4100 with the duplexer. Yes it is old, but... it prints reasonably fast, the toner is dirt cheap and lasts a really long time, and the machine is amazingly easy to get parts for and is pretty easy to repair. Oh, and it has drivers for pretty much everything. One of the reasons I got this model was that it worked natively with my wife's Microsoft Surface RT tablet back in the day.

My experience with newer laser printers is that they are built in a way that almost seems "disposable." The 4100 series from HP was among the last of the machines they made that were really built to last. After this, the printers themselves move to being made with a lot of cheap plastic parts and the reliability really took a nosedive. I purchased that 4100 "broken" for $50 and was able to repair it with a standard $20 maintenance kit. My wife is still in school getting her Masters in Library Science (and expects to finish in December 2022) so it still gets regular heavy use out of her.

Brother MFC-7460DN ! Cheap, worked for years already despite abuse, and so far had NO problem with cheap 3rd party toner cartridges. I use the worst cheap junk paper I can find (frequently junk that already has something printed on the other side of it) and get paper jams once in a while. They are always real easy to clear out.

Brother have been pretty solid printers for the price. I saved a brother laser from work. Perfectly good laser printer. The office wanted to get rid of it to standardize into using the same ink cartridge through out the building. So they replaced all laser printer with garbage HP inkjets. So I went from having a laser printer that I had to change the toner cartridge once a year to changing ink carts once a month. Sure the OEM toner cart was $125 but a set of ink carts is $50 and need to be changed every month. NEEDS to be. Once the printer decrees a color one of the color carts needs to be changed it won't even let me print black.

I forgot to add that I already have a nice Epson ET-8500 for photo printing, this laser i'm looking for is just for docuemnts.

seems like brothers are the most popular.

We have an HP 1018 mono laser, and while I was doing IT training for a career, I used to print a lot. It's reasonably priced, and it's a highly dependable mono laser with decent quality and sufficient speed. When colour is required, have a colour inkjet on hand. I'd suggest any old laser you can buy toner for is a far better choice for everyday use. The HP 1102 is the modern version and features wireless network connectivity.
what is a good cheap laser printer with cheap toner?

I've got a Samsung printer that's getting pretty old. Granted, I very rarely ever print anything. My girlfriend uses it from time to time but I doubt I print even once a year.

I'm starting to hate my inkjet printer, so I decided to buy a Laser Printer. But I don't know which one is the best quality/price ratio. It should cost under 160 euros. Thanks
any of the ones listed in this thread, or sort by rating and price on any site you buy from...

I'm starting to hate my inkjet printer, so I decided to buy a Laser Printer. But I don't know which one is the best quality/price ratio. It should cost under 160 euros. Thanks
Odd you need to ask in the exact topic thread.

18 month necro.

Looking for a cheap laser printer for my pop as he has to buy a new inkjet every couple years because they go bad, ink clogs up, crap paper feeding, etc.

Wanted Specs:

-MUST NOT REQUIRE: 1) AN INTERNET CONNECTION; OR 2) PURCHASE OF TONER SUBSCRIPTION; OR 3) CREATION OF ON-LINE VENDOR ACCOUNT to setup the printer. COMPLETELY OFFLINE SETUP AND PRINTING ONLY.

-Around <= $200.'ish
-Local pickup at Bestbuy/Target/Walmart/OfficeMax-Depot preferred. Online OK except Amazon.
-Print ONLY, no copy/scan/etc needed.
-Wired USB. additional Network and/or Wireless connection ok.
- <<edit>> Black & White only.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Brother are pretty good. Stay away from anything HP printer wise. They replaced all our Brother laser printed at for HP inkjet... The HP are nothing but junk.

Thanks for quick reply. Color printing not needed.

I was looking at that cheap Brother already and it seems to be the only choice that matches my needs. I would be willing to bump budget up closer to $200 but everything in that range is a multi-function at least locally.

Brother are pretty good. Stay away from anything HP printer wise. They replaced all our Brother laser printed at for HP inkjet... The HP are nothing but junk.
Yeah, I bought my last HP laser (in my sig) in 2013? and it's been rock solid. On third toner cart. I was just going to go HP again but luckily I read the reviews and the HPs, even to "higher dollar ones" REQUIRE internet connection to setup. F-That-Shite.

Thanks for quick reply. Color printing not needed.

I was looking at that cheap Brother already and it seems to be the only choice that matches my needs. I would be willing to bump budget up closer to $200 but everything in that range is a multi-function at least locally.

Yeah, I bought my last HP laser (in my sig) in 2013? and it's been rock solid. On third toner cart. I was just going to go HP again but luckily I read the reviews and the HPs, even to "higher dollar ones" REQUIRE internet connection to setup. F-That-Shite.
Yes they do. I originally didn't need a account to use the printer but then a update came and changed that. The amount of money we spend on ink cartridges is so stupid now.

Yes they do. I originally didn't need a account to use the printer but then a update came and changed that. The amount of money we spend on ink cartridges is so stupid now.
Good to know. I better, NEVER, update the firmware in my current HP Laser or I might screw myself with no Vaseline.
Yeah, I might just go that route. Require a bit more driving but I can pick it up for pop and install this Sunday.

Thanks again guys.

Just throwing this out there: USED HP's of a certain vintage are still excellent printers - remember that they were not always shit and that there is a reason people still think of HP first when it comes to getting a printer :).

I specifically picked up an HP LaserJet 4100 for my wife's schoolwork about 10 years ago off of eBay for $50 (plus $40 shipping) and it has been rock solid. 4100 was among the last really well-built Laserjets, just about before the time before HP's manufacturing process emphasized cheap plastic parts and reduced reliability... also, Windows RT had drivers for it (Mrs was using a Surface RT tablet for her schoolwork at the time). It came with a NIC, but I eventually added a duplexer to it for another $50 and have only had to use a single maintenance kit in all that time (new rollers). Toner and maintenance kits are cheap and easy and the printer itself is a quality unit.

Edit: WOW! I just realized I essentially said the same thing a few posts above over 2 YEARS ago! :) lol Welp, It's all still true except that the Mrs has since graduated and just started her first full-time post-graduate job using her degree. I just this past week moved her up to Seneca Falls, New York to start a job as an archivist with the National Park Service for the Woman's Rights museum. It's a 3-4 year term job, so not practical to rip up and move the entire family up there, but since it is a GS job (and not contractor) it will be a lot easier for her to move around internally when the term closes up. If the term doesn't close up and the job becomes permanent... well, upstate New York seems like a really nice place to live :).

Last edited:
Just throwing this out there: USED HP's of a certain vintage are still excellent printers - remember that they were not always shit and that there is a reason people still think of HP first when it comes to getting a printer :).

I specifically picked up an HP LaserJet 4100 for my wife's schoolwork about 10 years ago off of eBay for $50 (plus $40 shipping) and it has been rock solid. 4100 was among the last really well-built Laserjets, just about before the time before HP's manufacturing process emphasized cheap plastic parts and reduced reliability... also, Windows RT had drivers for it (Mrs was using a Surface RT tablet for her schoolwork at the time). It came with a NIC, but I eventually added a duplexer to it for another $50 and have only had to use a single maintenance kit in all that time (new rollers). Toner and maintenance kits are cheap and easy and the printer itself is a quality unit.
Thanks for the reply.

I knew about low-cost and decent Brother printers, but I was in the mindset of "just by an HP laser" like I have done for decades. But luckily I found out that the modern HP printers require on-line activation, cart/ink subscriptions and other such nonsense so I said 'F' that. And 'F' HP.

My pop is 92 yo and just had a pacemaker installed. He ain't going to be printing a ton of crap. In fact, his inkjets end up drying out and getting clogged and no longer work, even with new OEM ink tanks. Hence go for cheap laser alternatives.

I'd go your route myself if my current laser (in sig) ever shits the bed and I couldn't find a good replacement that truly works offline..

Let me check which store has my printer in stock.

Capture.JPG

Not sure which store I should choose.

Well, here is another vote for Brother...

Several years ago, my trusty but antique HP LJ-1100 finally died after 17 years of uber-reliable and no-fuss, no-muss operation...RIP my dear !

So I was looking not only for a replacement, but also some capability "upgrades", and did a tone of research on fast, multi-function, COLOR, networked but no online activation/set-up crap laser machines, and ended up buyin the Brother MFC-L3710CW.... it has been rock solid since day 1 (12/22/2019), and even though I print a fair amount, the OEM "starter" toners lasted almost a year, and the replacement, aftermarket ones have been good for about a year each too....PLUS ABSOLUTELY no friggin clogging/dryed out ink, falsified empty nag-warnings, or paper jams whatsoever :D

However, note that back in the mid-late 80's, I owned a 7-color wide format Epson that was absolutely exquisite in it's print quality & reliability... I bought this when my ex was working as an entry level graphic designer & sometimes worked on some projects from home (gee- imagine that !)

I've had a good run with my Canon MF445dw. It's been going strong since 2021 with only 1 cartridge change this past September.

The Canon D570 is just $100 at Best Buy.

wish samsung still made laser printers. bought one over 10 years ago and it just doesn't die.

Well, that would be a rarity among Samsung computing products of any sort to my experience :) Srsly, I think Samsung is a cursed brand when I buy it - Hard Drives, Cameras, RAM, SSDs... all dead within days of the warranty expiring. Phones and TV/Monitors from them have been OK though.

Well, that would be a rarity among Samsung computing products of any sort to my experience :) Srsly, I think Samsung is a cursed brand when I buy it - Hard Drives, Cameras, RAM, SSDs... all dead within days of the warranty expiring. Phones and TV/Monitors from them have been OK though.
Totally agree. Their old hard drives were crap. Ram and SSDs never had any issues. Phones, monitors and TVs are great. I still use an old Samsung 245BW monitor, over 15 years old. Just keeps on trucking along.

Sorta related I also have a Samsung washer and dryer set that just won't die. Over 10 years old, so far all I've had to do is tighten the door seal clamp on the washer to fix a small leak.

Another +1 for Brother from me (have had mine for 4+ years now and going strong, even on Linux with minimal setup, hooked up to a print server, still using the original toner!) and a strong -1000 for modern era HP. The HPs we got at work for internal purchasing by end users are extremely scammy and try to dark pattern you into subscribing / signing up for their service. You have to do some super weird / unobvious combination of button pressing / skipping on the LCD screen to get past it. HP definitely also known to, if connected / subscribed, just update your firmware without telling you and lockout third-party ink/etc. Modern HP is a garbage fire. Old HP printers are a different world altogether from modern HP though.

I'm looking to get a wireless laser printer for occasional printing and looking to spend $100-$150. I'm leaning towards a basic Brother one. There's a lot of model numbers but I haven't dug deep to find all the differences. Any things to look for or recommendations in general?
get a brother but expect around the $200 mark...

IMHO, laser printers have all gotten "cheap", and toner, well, that almost always means going 3rd party (discount toner) and that varies weekly in terms of what's out there and quality, etc.

(that is, the deal "today" on toner might not be there at all the next time you need toner)

Also, indeed the affordable toners are usually of variable quality. Because they are all "fly by night", not sure if there's anything that can be recommended.

Samsung SCX-4300 if you can find it. Have had mine FOREVER and the ink lasts for years.

Samsung SCX-4300 if you can find it. Have had mine FOREVER and the ink lasts for years.
You make a good indirect point. A long time ago, our home laser was used a ton. But not so much anymore. The "print world" has diminished.

Reactions: Hulk
like this
My HP Officejet 7000 just bit the dust for good. I've been using it for over 8 years now for my dojo, and it was used by the previous owner for several years as well.

I was only using it to print 8.5" x 11" rank certificates for my dojo, and have long switched to greyscale only. The third party ink cartridges that I was using have been working fantastically for all of this time, and this printer hasn't seen a drop of factory ink ever since I took ownership of it.

It's dead now, except once in a long while where it will actually fire up, and come to a halt, thinking that there's a paper jam in it (no jam).

I don't print the 11" x 17" certificates any more, so I'm going to take the Brother plunge. I was actually quite pleased to see that the Brother USA company sells refurbished printers on their site with good warranties, and that 3rd party toner cartridges (high yield) run for about 10 bucks apiece from reputable eBay sellers.

That, plus the promo code from retailmenot.com actually worked. 70 bucks (including taxes) for a 24 ppm monochrome laser printer, shipped.

https://www.brother-usa.com/promotions/refurbished#sort=relevancy

Yeah, I just ran out of toner on my new "guarded" HP laser, yeah, it costs over $800 to populate toner. That is, it's cheaper to chunk the whole printer into the garbage and get the starter cartridges that come with a new one. HP... needs to go away (forever).

I've had a Samsung B&W network laser for years, if it's not a decade it's close. Very few issues. Do these brother printers have a universal driver the way HPs and Samsungs do? I don't want to install a bloated software suite on all the machines in my house.

I've had a Samsung B&W network laser for years, if it's not a decade it's close. Very few issues. Do these brother printers have a universal driver the way HPs and Samsungs do? I don't want to install a bloated software suite on all the machines in my house.
they have a driver only and full software on the site. mine was picked up by windows and only uses the driver. not even sure what the "full" would do, its just a basic bw laser....

Brother RHL-L2320D arrived yesterday, and it works beautifully with either the starter toner cartridge, or the 3rd party cartridge I bought off eBay.

The 3rd party cartridge is about 90% as dark as the OEM toner, which is good enough for my grunt work printing.

Not bad for 70 bucks, shipped (after using the retailmenot.com online coupon).

https://www.brother-usa.com/products/rhll2320d

Back