Good brands of lapping sandpaper... where can I buy them?

MajinWu

Gawd
I want to lap my heatsink, but I'm at a loss as to what brands are good for such a task. I'm looking for a high quality one, yet also having good a price value. Any idea where I can get them locally/online?

I'm looking for the following types:
o 400 Grit Super Fine Wet/Dry
o 600 Grit Ultra Fine Wet/Dry
o 800 Grit Ultra Fine Wet/Dry
o 1000 Grit Ultra Fine Wet/Dry
o 1500 Grit Mirror Fine Wet/Dry
o 2000 Grit Mirror Fine Wet/Dry

a pep boys or similar auto parts store. look for wet/dry sandpaper there. any of the brands they carry will probably be fine. it's about $4/pack at my local pep boys.

I recommend the 3M brand wet/dry. It's available here @ Auto Zone & O'Reilly's Auto Parts (Sometimes Wal Mart has it, was well). Also, if you don't see it @ the parts store ask for it. One Auto Zone I went to kept the "good stuff" behind the counter. ;)

Meijer oten carries up to 2500grit in my area, in the auto section. 3m brand I think, but don't take my word for it.

ah yes.. 3m was the brand i was trying to think of earlier today. if your store only carries up to 600 grit, you can sand using the back of the sandpaper for a nice shine. worked great for me (you could read the fine print in the base of my heatsinks:D)

3M be the best.. :D
Really you don't need up to 2000, unless you want that mirror finish. 1000 gives a nice smooth surface. 'Course if you really wanna go balls out pick up some Flitz polishing compound & a buffing cloth...and hit your 'sink w/ this stuff following the 2000 grit. You can use it to shave by then... ;)

how much does all that sandpaper cost for lapping somethign? im thinking about lapping my 2.4C IHS

The 3 packs of sandpaper are $2.98. I think they may have a combo pack, but not really sure on that.....

Back