Good board for a Phenom 9850BE?

bigted

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - Oct. 2013
i just had my power supply die and it may have taken my am2 board out with it. i have tested the setup with another power supply and it still won't boot, i will be testing with one more PSU tonight, so we will see.

so once i figure out my board is dead, what is a good option for AM2 boards? Will my processor work on AM3/+ boards too?

Thanks in advance for help!

no that chip will not work in a AM3 board as its pin configuration is different and it lacks a ddr3 memory controller

depending what the computer is used for (is this your main rig/work computer, or just some backup) i would look in the FS/FT forum for a cheap AM2/+ board with decent power management

as pstang says, get a cheap am2 board see even if you get an am3 board you better upgrade to a later generation if you dont need more power in near future

This board is amazing: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157274

It can work with AM2, AM2+, and AM3 processors.
The only downside is it uses DDR2 memory, but if the you are running an AM2+ Phenom processor, I'm guessing you were on DDR2 to begin with.

I've been using this board for a lot of heavy work on the system in my sig.
I upgraded from an AM2 5000+ X2 to an AM3 Phenom II 965 X4 with zero issues.

for AM2 I would go to the FS/T forums & buy a used one. I Bought one used a while back to pair with my Phenom 9150e.. I want to say it was like 35 or 40 bucks shipped for an Asus (don't remember the model). I wouldn't invest the cost of a new board into making a 1st gen phenom work though. At-least not something run of the mill.

for AM2 I would go to the FS/T forums & buy a used one. I Bought one used a while back to pair with my Phenom 9150e.. I want to say it was like 35 or 40 bucks shipped for an Asus (don't remember the model). I wouldn't invest the cost of a new board into making a 1st gen phenom work though. At-least not something run of the mill.

Sub-$60 for the board I listed will break the bank?
It's cheaper than buying a new CPU, mobo, and memory if it all isn't needed.

Up to the OP though.

Back