Good Blu-ray ripping software?

RyanGSams

[H]ard|Gawd
I just bought a blu ray player for my desktop and have some Blu rays that i would like to rip to my harddrive. Are there any good ones that are free? Or what are some recommendations?

For free? not sure, but MakeMKV isn't too expensive and is pretty good. I install the trial every now and then for the few blu-rays I buy.

I use any DVD HD and MakeMKV. I haven't found any free programs sadly.

Ok, ill give that a shot when my Blu ray drive comes in

Thanks for the help.

Does Makemkv require Anydvd HD to function? I just ordered parts for my htpc and am trying to find software to rip the few discs I own. I don't have enough movies to make the purchase of Anydvd HD worth it but I'd buy Makemkv if it'll work.

Does Makemkv require Anydvd HD to function? I just ordered parts for my htpc and am trying to find software to rip the few discs I own. I don't have enough movies to make the purchase of Anydvd HD worth it but I'd buy Makemkv if it'll work.

MakeMKV can do everything necessary to get the Blu-ray contents onto the hard drive - AnyDVD HD is not required in that process. MakeMKV does what's needed to pull the disc contents out and put them into a nice single MKV container you can play or do whatever you want with from that point on.

AnyDVD HD really shines by sitting between the disc contents and whatever you want to do with them; it's the middleman handling the stuff keeping you from just accessing the Blu-ray (and DVD) contents as you wish.

Ok, so i just tried ripping the first blu ray using Make MKV and when i try playing it the video is choppy but audio is fine. Are there any settings somewhere else besides in the preferences?

What media player are you using, just to ask? MPC-HC (when set up with DXVA which uses your GPU to decode the AVC/h.264 content) should easily be able to play those MKV files on that machine you have listed in the sig, assuming that's the machine you're using.

Can't really say why there'd be a stutter or hesitation; seems like that box can handle HD content without breaking a sweat. Maybe try several rips (different movies/discs) and see if it's a consistent thing, and definitely try different media players if possible.

Joe,
I have tried Divx plus player, and MKV player.

I am using the rig in my sig.

About using different blu rays...well i just have one from netflix right now, so maybe i can run to redbox and pick up a different one...

edit: MPC-HC seems to work good. I will just be using this one. Do you know if i can watch an MKV file streamed to the Xbox or PS3

Joe,
I have tried Divx plus player, and MKV player.

I am using the rig in my sig.

About using different blu rays...well i just have one from netflix right now, so maybe i can run to redbox and pick up a different one...

edit: MPC-HC seems to work good. I will just be using this one. Do you know if i can watch an MKV file streamed to the Xbox or PS3

You can try Playstaton Media Server:

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

Back