Good 5.1 Soundcard

MechWarrior

Slob Ur Knob - $5
I was wondering what soundcard would be good for my 5.1 speaker setup (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=36-121-104&depa=1)

I was looking at newegg and saw one thing:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-102-160&depa=1

Now then I looked further and saw for about $10 more I could get the #2
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-102-158&depa=1

Would I notice any difference? I doubt it, plus I bet ill loose any extra quality I would get cuz its 6.1, not 5.1

So back to my first choice, should I get that? Cuz for even cheaper I saw this one
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-102-169&depa=1

So now I am thoroly confused. I am upgrading from some onboard realtek 650 AC thingy.

Ideas?

I'd just get the 2nd option personally. The original audigy is a bit outdated, I think. I also think any of them would work, and the price delta's aren't that big, so might as well just get the Audigy 2, and not worry about it for a while.

The Audigy LS is actually one of the newer Creative soundcards. I would think that it sounds pretty close to the original Audigy 2.

Personally, I think that's way too much to spend on a soundcard. For $65 speakers, you should be looking at $20-30 soundcards, seriously. The rest is wasted potential until you upgrade those speakers. Then again, maybe you're a big fan of EAX and in that case the Creative solutions would be perfect for you.

Audigy is your best deal out of all of them...I have an extra one for sale...PM me..

The speakers are not bad at all, everyone who has posted reviews said they are great too... Well maybe I am wrong, but I dont have the cash to upgrade them.

They're not that good. For the price, they are pretty hard to beat, but then again, we're talking about a $65 set of 5.1 (!) speakers. If you really oversimplify things, you could say that less than $10 goes into each piece of the set, and that's pitiful. I've spent many, many hours with the Z-640s and the sound is way too muddy for my tastes. Then again, that's expected for a set like this.

Heh good thing I got them for $30 from justdeals.com hehe. I still think they are great, but yeah ill agree the subwoofer isnt all that powerful and it is a bit blurry, but from me comming from a basic 2 speaker setup its much much better.

Thanks for your input all and jamerzzz especially.

i am getting so fucking tired of people beginning to comment on the rest of his set up. he asked what's the best soundcard of them. not to comment on his speakers. the 640's are great speakers.

personally i would go with a fortissimo III. but then again i just bought one so i'm probably a bit partial. but it's got the opitcal out so that if you do eventually upgrade your speakers you won't need to get another soundcard. and the 7.1 doesn't hurt either. plus it just sounds awesome.

You obviously don't understand the critical relationship between soundcards and speakers. I could have the most perfect soundcard, one that matches all of the reference specs on the money, but with crappy speakers it will sound just like an average soundcard.

When you buy too much soundcard and not enough speaker, you're cheating yourself out of good sound, period. If that still irritates you, I don't know what to say.

Originally posted by xonik
You obviously don't understand the critical relationship between soundcards and speakers. I could have the most perfect soundcard, one that matches all of the reference specs on the money, but with crappy speakers it will sound just like an average soundcard.

When you buy too much soundcard and not enough speaker, you're cheating yourself out of good sound, period. If that still irritates you, I don't know what to say.

With that in mind, consider this- at a price delta of about $20, who gives a rats- even the audigy is relatively overkill for those speakers. My point is simply with a small difference in price, might as well get what's going to last the longest. At least then if he wants better speakers, he has a card that can make use of them.

Back