Good $1500 Gaming Rig

Tov

Limp Gawd
Well I've been fiddling around on newegg for the past few weeks trying to come up with a set up that will suit me but not cost me way too much. Here's what I came up with.

ASPIRE X-Navigator ATXA8NW-AL/500

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR

BFG Tech Geforce 6800GT

PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI-PFC ATX12V 510W

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3000BPBOX

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 Platinum System Memory Model OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K

Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150

LITE-ON Black IDE DVD Burner Model SOHW-1693S Black

LITE-ON Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model SOHD-16P9SBLK

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion...sp?ID=1602773&WishListTitle=Build In Progress

Total cost is about 1,527.93

The few things I'm not willing to sacrifice cost on is my motherboard and of course power supply. Although I do like a power supply that is purty and comes with all sorts of neat features like detachable rails, you can't always get what you want. One thing I have been unsure of is my RAM. How do you know if a stick is single sided or double? I would much rather go with 2x512mb single sided sticks now and get more later. I really like the case but it comes with a power supply which costs me even more :mad:

That Ram is top notch!
Might be more than you need for that set up.

I would personally go with the ASUS MB

Your Specs are awesome!

Are you going to be OCing or doing alot of gaming?

Personally...spending ~$400 on a case+psu is crazy.

Edit: If you're not OC'ing get the value select ram...for some reason, it just seems to me like you should be able to get better with $1500

I'm sorry I should have specified that I'm deciding between the two motherboards :p One thing that has me confused is the TV-OUT specification that newegg has on it's site. The BFG card supports HDTV/S-Video/Composite where the XFX is only S-video. Maybe I'm just missing something here. I was thinking about OCing, which is why I chose the 3000+, but I decide not to I could probably do a WHOLE lot better like you said.

I assume that corsair memor will run tight timings?

Well I've updated the setup as you can see in the wish list.

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion...sp?ID=1602773&WishListTitle=Build In Progress

I've heard some not so great things about the corsair valueSelect memory. I've read that crucial might be a better choice on the value side.

I've lowered the cost to around 1,350 with a 3000+ Venice and now I can go wit ha 7800GTX and be in the 1,500 range and stay with that processor OR go with a 3500+ Venice and be slightly below 1,500. My thoughts are go with the 3000+ and a 7800GTX, make sure the mobo supports X2 and if not update it and when they release the 3800+ X2 or the prices come down I can upgrade then.

Back