Good 120mm?

Finsta

Gawd
Hello all,
I am asking what is a good 120mm fan that would serve good for an exhaust but does not make much noise
I thought of several ones - Papst, Panaflo, Vantec Stealth? Akasa maybe? (I gotta get some of that PAX Mat stuff, how well does it work? :p )

I've been liking my Vantec Stealth alot more then my Panflo. Little bit less airflow but a helluva lot less noise.

i've been goin thru this too, same exact thing!! ok, so what i've done is gotten a vantec stealth :) i think its the best bang for the buck..if i could afford a papst(and locate one) i might go for that, but being cheap the vantec is the way to go! :)

boardsportsrule said:
i've been goin thru this too, same exact thing!! ok, so what i've done is gotten a vantec stealth :) i think its the best bang for the buck..if i could afford a papst(and locate one) i might go for that, but being cheap the vantec is the way to go! :)
From what I hear, the Stealth's are actually rebadged Papst's.

The Vantec Stealth 12cm and Papst 4412 FGL fans available at Directron are both noticeably quieter than the Panaflo L1A 120mm. The Panaflo is 38mm thick as opposed to 25mm and spins a bit faster I believe, also pushes more air but if you've got decent airflow within a case two of the Vantecs or Papsts will get the job done easily.

OKANG said:
From what I hear, the Stealth's are actually rebadged Papst's.

Doubt it, seeing as the Papst use a specially designed sleeve bearing and Vantec claims theirs are ball bearing... Not sure if Papst makes a ball bearing model seeing as there's several Papst models in the same size but I don't think so, could be tho.

any opinions on 5v/7v'ed evercools compared to the papsts/stealths/panaflos?

maxxo said:
any opinions on 5v/7v'ed evercools compared to the papsts/stealths/panaflos?
My 7v Evercool (one with aluminum frame) seems to perform a lot like my Vantec Stealth, both in terms of sound and airflow.

I'm looking for something moderate. As little noise possible, but I still want some good airflow.

Finsta said:
Yeah, 45db is a wee-bit too loud :p
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you aren't going to find a 120x25mm fan that flows over 100cfm and is quiet. If you want something quieter, you'll have to go with a 38mm thick fan.

I use the Evercool Aluminum ones mentioned above. They are great value/noise/air flow ratio... I would reccomend them...

if the Papst is a sleve-bearing and the Vantec is ball-bearing, then get the Vantec.

Ball Bearing > sleave-bearning

I picked up an Enermax 120mm at el Juevo Nuevo. I like it, not too loud, has a fan controller built in.

boardsportsrule said:
do NOT belive silenX's claims, their fans aren't that quite although they are very quiet,,,

On what are you basing this critique.

boardsportsrule said:
my personal experience and MANY peoples experiences on silentpcreview.com

As well as pure physics... :D The specs just don't add up, they've got fans that spin at the exact same RPM as other brands (and have the same number of fins) yet are rated at wildly different dB/CFM combinations (as much as double, etc.). Unless they use magic dust on them fan fins I think there's a good deal of stat fluffing going on, but then again, there's really no standard for how this stuff is measured.

Impulse said:
As well as pure physics... :D The specs just don't add up, they've got fans that spin at the exact same RPM as other brands (and have the same number of fins) yet are rated at wildly different dB/CFM combinations (as much as double, etc.). Unless they use magic dust on them fan fins I think there's a good deal of stat fluffing going on, but then again, there's really no standard for how this stuff is measured.
Yeah, I don't see how big companies like Panaflo could spend so much money on R&D and come up with a fairly common product, while this little hole in the wall company comes up with something that's radically better. What's the most likely explaination? They're a bunch of geniouses who'd rather keep their secret and make a small profit (compared to licensing the design and making a ton) OR......they're lieing? You can be the judge.

its not just that...all companies fudge in one way or another...take thermal take(big company) but their fan specs are bull shit too! bottom line is get a big company fan, and you'll be OK, but do some research and you'll find the truth and the best...and silenx(in my opinon) isnt the best.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with Panaflo or Papst.....unless you want a gail-force wind. Then you want Y-S Tech or Delta :eek:

OKANG said:
In my opinion, you can't go wrong with Panaflo or Papst.....unless you want a gail-force wind. Then you want Y-S Tech or Delta :eek:

I don't usualy consider myself as having a problem with noise (afterall I've got the Antec SX1040 with 8 fans running full-throttle...

but when I put ONE Delta fan in my case I swear it sounded like it was gonna get airborn.

also if you really want some good airflow and good cfm you might wanna consider getting a really loud/fast fan then having a rehostat on it maybe even a 7v switch, this is a great compromise, i curently have my 2 120mm fans running on 7v and its very nice in sound/air ratio.

just my $45 opinion lol

Back