GOG.com to sell newer PC games with old

Q-BZ

Fully [H]
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-27-gog-com-relaunched-to-sell-newer-pc-games

http://www.gog.com/

What began as Good Old Games, GOG.com, has relaunched to sell new PC games alongside old.

Therefore, the Good Old Games meaning will fade away. The company will be known instead by the acronym-turned-company-title GOG.com. "It doesn't matter what G, O and G stand for," explained a post on GOG.com. "Gee Oh Gee dot com stands for high-quality, DRM-free gaming, each week with bigger and newer games."

Works for me. :)

Trine and The Whispered World are examples of 'new' games available right now. Legend of Grimrock is out 11th April. Spacechem, Machinarium and Darwinia are "coming soon". Apparently, more than 20 indie and new games have been signed for release in "the next few months".

The GOG.com website has been redesigned, and the GOG.com downloader improved.

CD Projekt used homemade RPG The Witcher 2 to test GOG.com as a destination for newer PC games. The result? Around 40,000 sales - the best result of anywhere but Steam.

This is great news as far as I'm concerned.

I will most certainly make a point to give them the business whenever I can if they have a game I want.

for sure, I imagine they will sell any new game that doesn't require DRM

long as they keep bringing back old great games ill be happy lol

They have a deal on Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura right now btw.

long as they keep bringing back old great games ill be happy lol

I wouldn't worry. They are making money off those. And they aren't going to get all the new games either. Just ones that aren't anal with the DRM most likely.

Cool, sounds good.

I've been wanting to support GOG more, though honestly most the games seem a bit overpriced to me, I think they need to start selling more game packs with lower $/game ratios.

But none the less, this sounds cool, if GOG has a game the same price or less than elsewhere with no DRM I'll surely buy it from them.

for sure, I imagine they will sell any new game that doesn't require DRM

Which means mostly indie games :p

I really don't see many of the AAA titles going without DRM. Not knocking on indie games though, but I personally prefer getting most of them from those indie bundles instead, which is also DRM-less.

This is in part due to CDProjekt feeling that things like steam discounts and indie bundles devalue consumers perception of games. I am curious to see how they implement this into their business practice; given that waiting for sales seems to be what a good chunk of the market does.

This is in part due to CDProjekt feeling that things like steam discounts and indie bundles devalue consumers perception of games. I am curious to see how they implement this into their business practice; given that waiting for sales seems to be what a good chunk of the market does.

what are you talking about? gog has discounts and bundle discounts as well.

what are you talking about? gog has discounts and bundle discounts as well.
Just going off this article:
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/ga...hes_gog_takes_aim_steam_sales_devaluing_games

I'm just curious how they plan to put those words into practice. They might feel that the lack of DRM could justify slightly higher prices, or they may have lower prices year round and let Steam/Origin/Amazon fight it out around Christmas/Summer sales. I do agree with them that my view of what a PC game is worth is shaped by sales and bundles, especially with regards to indie games. I can't remember the last time I bought an indie game individually, to say nothing of paying full price. I want to see something new, because most of my favorite games this past year have been indie or semi-indie. If they come up with a new way to ensure more compensation for those developers I'm all for it.

Just going off this article:
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/ga...hes_gog_takes_aim_steam_sales_devaluing_games

I'm just curious how they plan to put those words into practice. They might feel that the lack of DRM could justify slightly higher prices, or they may have lower prices year round and let Steam/Origin/Amazon fight it out around Christmas/Summer sales. I do agree with them that my view of what a PC game is worth is shaped by sales and bundles, especially with regards to indie games. I can't remember the last time I bought an indie game individually, to say nothing of paying full price. I want to see something new, because most of my favorite games this past year have been indie or semi-indie. If they come up with a new way to ensure more compensation for those developers I'm all for it.

Other services besides GoG already do sell games DRM, and yes I mean relatively mainstream/new games and not just extremely old titles or indie games. The only that do not really do so for the most part are essentially those that are completely integrated with a client, the biggest example of course being Steam, as that that client itself is DRM for that service.

For instance Amazon sells DRM free games. They have even have sold games that originally had DRM repackaged without DRM and retroactively applied this to existing purchases. Funnily enough one of there large sales involving DRM free games done this way was for Ubisoft games :p

I guess there might be a better balance. Steam will take $20 games and put them on the $5 deals a lot of times in the year, true. I do notice the GOG's stuff is less frequent. I thought the publishers have to approve of super deals though.

It would depend on the agreement with the seller and the producer as well as how much of a burden the seller wants to take for sales. For instance Amazon either has an agreement that lets they price match others and/or willing to absorb some of the costs to match. They have also shown they are willing to to absorb costs themselves as part of promotions.

Also I have to mention again other places do sell DRM free titles at the same low sale prices as you expect with DRM titles.

Let's see how long it takes for Gamestop to have a huge fucking cry and then force publishers to have everything on GoG price-fixed to fuck as well.

And you'll probably end up having the same issues as you do with itunes downloads if you ever have to reformat your O/S Install. Where you end up having to pay for the game again anyway.

Let's see how long it takes for Gamestop to have a huge fucking cry and then force publishers to have everything on GoG price-fixed to fuck as well.

Too late, publishers have already gotten around to doing that :p

A key piece from the maximum pc article linked above.

"The plan is to stock mainstream games sans DRM and bundle them with DLC to skyrocket their value even further. The catch, though, is that they'll appear on GOGa year or soafter release, so as to put them back in the spotlight after their initial 15 seconds of fame has died down."

I'm all for bundling of dlc. I hate having to tack on things to my purchases.

By the time the appear, you'll probably have already bought it, if it was worth it.

Ya.. DRM free games. WHAT A CRAZY WORLD that would be.

Sadly Online DRM is not going anywhere.

I also find it funny. FUCK UBISOFT and there Online DRM. Same people.. Diablo 3 requires Online DRM. Fuck ya take my $ blizzard..

Next gen consoles will have it too. I personally dont mind cloud saves and the features it offers so w/e.

Back