Glow free 1200x1920 monitors (24inch) ?

you2

[H]ard|Gawd
Are there any glow free 24 inch monitors beyond the $1200 cx241 ?
-
exact calibration is not necessary; the monitor will not be used for photo-editing but rather lots of reading and some light gaming.

Sadly I find the glow impacts reading more than other sort of work (esp when the room is dark such as is the case in early morning).

if you want monitor for reading then you should not buy wide-gamut monitor as clear-type fonts look slightly blurrier on these.

Only glow-free 1920x1200 monitor that is sRGB and A-TW that I know of is NEC 2490WUXi
I have NEC 2090UXi which is very similar but 20" 4:3 1600x1200 and it is awesome for text, especially that it is 4:3 and all :). CCFL lamp is good for eyes. It doesn't have this violent violet-blue thing going on that destroys your eye cells. Fonts look sharp, much sharper in fact than my other monitor. And because that I do not recommend any wide-gamut monitors for reading. EIZO GB-LED might have slightly smaller gamut than RGB-LED but still pretty large.

Oh, and NEC supports hardware calibration too. It is pretty much still one of the best monitors out there unsurpassed in some things and the only one that fully meet all your criteria.

If you can find 2490WUXi in good condition and are not put off by using used moniotors (or can find new one...) then it is absolute king.

The NEC you quoted is a $1400 monitor; are there no cheaper alternatives ? I don't mind spending a bit more than the $240 that a dell u2415 cost; but $1400 seems a bit much...

some QNIX QX2710 are glow-free but it is either lottery or you have to find someone who select them and sell as glow-free. It is Korean 27" 2560x1440 and have all associated flaws with return, shipping, etc. But price is excellent.

2490WUXi I meant as an used monitor. You can sometimes get them used for very good money.

BTW. I see you wrote 1200x1920. If you consider using pivot then don't. Fonts only look good at normal monitor orientation. And frankly pivot had sense only with 4:3 and 5:4 monitors anyway. With wide-screen it is way too tall, it looks ridiculous.

@XoR

What monitor would you recommend from those that can be found on the market?
Dell U2515H (2560x1440) has very good reviews, has sRGB 99% ( average Delta E of <3), so it should be good for reading based on what you said. I noticed a few reviews were the owners said they can use it only at 10% brightness because it's too bright, being W-LED is no surprise to be very bright. A similar monitor is Philips 258B6QJEB.

I'm using my monitor mainly for reading/programming.
I agree that CCFL monitors are good for the eyes, but are rarities these days and they cost too much, especially NEC. I'm not sure if it's worth paying around 1000 Euro for 1920x1200.

The 1200x1920 was just specifying resolution; I will use it horizontal (I know the way I expressed was confusing). 27inch is too large; 24 inch is a little large for the space but I need the viewing area (20inch is too small; I actually have an old 20inch I'm tempted to use).
-
btw will the glow from the 2415 be awful (I've seen the 2412 and it is pretty bad); but the old 2409 I have at work is actually pretty decent (well good enough for myself).

If you can find one used for a good price, I can't recommend the Planar PX2611w highly enough. 26" 16:10, 1920x1200, CCFL backlight, IPS but not bad on glow at all / very high build quality so little or no backlight bleed. Mine was built in 2009 and is still going strong with tons of regular use and numerous car trips strapped in the back seat, though it's about to get demoted to secondary monitor.

Any particular reason you want/need 16:10 (1920x1200) vs. 16:9 (1920x1080)? 1080P or "full HD" is as I'm sure you know /vastly/ easier to find these days.

Last edited:
There is also the P2416D; the reason I prefer 16:10 over 16:9 is I find it better for text work. I realize the p2416D and u2515 are 16:9. I've never understood why 16:10 makes a difference but it does. I woudl give the u2515 a grain of salt because it is larger. My old 20inch is also 16:10 (but the cfl have faded quite a bit).

If I am not mistaken this planar uses identical wide-gamut panel as NEC 2690WUXi. It is wide-gamut but mostly greens so it should not be not screwing up clear-type much if at all. Also it have A-TW and that is why it have no glow.

It would be good option but its larger and frankly what OP want is exactly this one monitor: NEC 2490WUXi. No more no less :)

Yeah, an A-TW polarizer. I forgot, that's a big part of what sets the PX2611w apart from most others. And yes, it's the exact same panel as the 2690WUXi.

The 1200x1920 was just specifying resolution; I will use it horizontal (I know the way I expressed was confusing). 27inch is too large; 24 inch is a little large for the space but I need the viewing area (20inch is too small; I actually have an old 20inch I'm tempted to use).
-
btw will the glow from the 2415 be awful (I've seen the 2412 and it is pretty bad); but the old 2409 I have at work is actually pretty decent (well good enough for myself).

What about a Eizo SX2262W if you can find one?

no comments on 25? the NEC 2490WUXi might be best option but toooo expensive.

If you're OK with the LED brightness you can try the U2515H, not sure about the glow.
I haven't seen it in person, but I don't think I've seen a monitor with so many good reviews on amazon.co.uk. A few people complained about yellow tint.

A friend picked up the u2515; havent' seen it but he said the glow was pretty bad. He thinks the u2415 has less glow.

No photo editing?
No IPS glow?

Have you considered TN? Yeah, it's 1080p, but that's pretty much universal now.

I could be wrong, but aren't some pls panels by samsung glow free? or at least with lesser glow than ips?

A friend picked up the u2515; havent' seen it but he said the glow was pretty bad. He thinks the u2415 has less glow.

I have just bought the U2415, and the glow is BAD. I cry whenever i turn on my old NEC 20WGX2 and see the deep great blacks and no glow that it produces.

See my post about the exact same question here.

Back