GIGABYTE GTX 780 GHz Edition

HardOCP News

[H] News
The fellas over at Vortez have the GIGABYTE GTX 780 GHz Edition on the test bench today for a few rounds of benchmark action.

We last took a look at the NVIDIA GTX 780 when GIGABYTE sent us their OC (Overclock) version. Today's sample looks strikingly similar save for one key factor, this version has a much higher factory overclock. As the name suggests, this GTX 780 is pre-overclocked not only to 1GHz but a full 20MHz past that mark resulting in a GPU Boost 2.0 speed of 1071MHz! This makes the 'GHz Edition' the fastest NVIDIA GTX780 mass produced.

I got mine OC at boost at 1215 Ghz and the memory at 6610 at STOCK voltages. Temperature wise I have yet to see it hit 60C. Whe playing games it always stays at 1215 Ghz, it never goes down.

I see the core voltage tab on OC GURU 2 but when I enable it, I dont see it taking affect so dont know if I have to change the firmware on the Video Card or need to wait on a different version of OC Guru2.

I'm glad they have 760 SLI numbers in there. I was considering going to a heavily overclocked 780 or a 780 TI, not anymore.

Wow, this look pretty nice. I've already put up my 290 for sale on the FS thread. Hope to get this!

Mine does 1202 MHz stable for core but at 1,2v (+15 MHz offset for core, rest comes automatically from voltage bump; can not oc at all without touching the voltage). Memory goes up to 7,4 GHz but I keep it at 7,3 GHz. At max stable oc the card goes up to 77c with automatic fan speed. At stock (1163 MHz) but with 7,3 GHz memory oc it goes up to 73c. One fan has bearing issues and rattles sometimes at low speed situations. I don't have golden card for sure but at least memory overclocks well. I am not that impressed about the cooler. I repasted the card with MX-4 which made small difference.

Last edited:
Mine does 1202 MHz stable for core but at 1,2v (+15 MHz offset for core, rest comes automatically from voltage bump; can not oc at all without touching the voltage). Memory goes up to 7,4 GHz but I keep it at 7,3 GHz. At max stable oc the card goes up to 77c with automatic fan speed. At stock (1163 MHz) but with 7,3 GHz memory oc it goes up to 73c. One fan has bearing issues and rattles sometimes at low speed situations. I don't have golden card for sure but at least memory overclocks well. I am not that impressed about the cooler. I repasted the card with MX-4 which made small difference.

Are you using the skyn3t bios to increase voltage?

I dont think the voltage control in afterburner or precision X are working for me. If I add +75mv it wont even let me overclock an extra 10mhz. I havnt tried the skyn3t bios.

I got mine OC at boost at 1215 Ghz and the memory at 6610 at STOCK voltages. Temperature wise I have yet to see it hit 60C. Whe playing games it always stays at 1215 Ghz, it never goes down.

I see the core voltage tab on OC GURU 2 but when I enable it, I dont see it taking affect so dont know if I have to change the firmware on the Video Card or need to wait on a different version of OC Guru2.

Fastest silicon ever created?

Are you using the skyn3t bios to increase voltage?

I dont think the voltage control in afterburner or precision X are working for me. If I add +75mv it wont even let me overclock an extra 10mhz. I havnt tried the skyn3t bios.
I'm using stock. How much the voltage control increases voltage seems to be card specific. I've never seen other GTX 780 GHz Edition go to 1,2 V with stock bios other than mine. Most seem to top at 1,1870 V (I, for some weird reason can't select 1,1870 V). 1,163 V is my cards stock voltage. In Precision X I can select +63 mV but after +38 mV (=1,2 V) it doesn't give more voltage.

These card have really little OC headroom. Also, remember this: increasing your voltage will increase top boost clock. In worst case scenario, you can't give any extra GPU offset or it will not be stable. If I max out the voltage that the stock bios can give, my boost goes to 1188 MHz. I can bump the offset a little bit to make it 1202 MHz but after than the next boost step would be unstable.

I've never had artifacting, just TDRs.

Last edited:
Back