Gigabyte BRIX compatibility question

the_servicer

2[H]4U
I would like to build a new fanless BRIX system with the Crucial MX100 128GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD. Is that particular drive compatible with the new fanless Bay Trail BRIX box?

And another question: How do I look for a compatible 4GB memory module when shopping in brick-and-mortar stores? The system supposedly has one SO-DIMM DDR3L 1.35V slot rated at 1333MHz, but I have had trouble matching those specs to products I have looked at so far. I imagine that whatever it will be is small in size.:p

I think you won't have an issue with the SSD.

Can you order your SODIMM online? Max is 8GB supported. You should ask them for laptop memory. That's what they may understand.

Thanks for reasurring me about the storage.

Yes, I can possibly order the memory online. I don't know what to order though.

I would think that the 1.35v on the ram would be what gives it the L designation for low voltage versus the 1.5 or 1.65 stuff. If you have a frys around they have some decent deals from time to time on laptop ram and you get a 15day return if it does not work.

I was thinking I should check out Fry's but wasn't sure they would have much of a RAM selection. Maybe I'll go there tomorrow.

I would like to build the BRIX over the weekend. I hope it won't be too hard!

I hope you have a good experience with your Brix.

Do tell us of how it went!
I bought the Brix Pro but the system kept hitting dangerous heat levels which caused throttling and sounded like a hair dryer permanently switched on.

Really interested in how a fanless system would go.
[I am aware that the systems are extremely different though...one is a full i7 with high end embedded graphics whilst the other is a Celeron]

It seems to work just fine, remarkably well actually. It's just that wireless doesn't work in Ubuntu 14.04, as expected. Can I hope that a future release of Ubuntu will magically make the wireless work?

'As expected?' Do you know the wifi chipset in that Brix?
Perhaps, you just need to install the non-free drivers for the wifi chipset?

These commands should retrieve info on your wifi card:
lshw -class network
lspci -v | grep -iE 'Wire|Ether'
lspci | grep -i wireless

Realtek, Intel, Atheros and Broadcom - need the related/relative non-free firmware & drivers installed, most likely.

Wi-Fi and audio work "out of the box" with Ubuntu 14.04.1! I am amazed at how well this unit plays HD video on YouTube!

I find it hard to believe this wouldn't throttle itself pretty heavy if not allowed to idle frequently... hmmm.

Personally, I'm fine with fans as long as they are silent.

If I want to try Mint 17.1 on this Bay Trail box, should I go with MATE or Cinnamon?

The only difference really is the desktop environment, IIRC MATE is based off Gnome 2 and Cinnamon off a forked Gnome 3. I'm typing this using Cinnamon on a Bay Triail Q2900 mobo and I'm really pleased with it. The only driver I've had to download and install was for a Samsung USB printer, one of the few not in the install list (2540), but that was quick and painless

Last edited:
Back