Gigabyte 8i915p Pro - W.T.F

Beccara

n00b
Ok so i've just got my Intel Checked 915p Board from GB, reading the manual before i install it (yes i know) and i come across this completely werid thing

The Gigabite lan (Marvell 8001) is connected via the PCI 32/33 Bus, which is has to share with the 2 Pci slots and the 3 Firewire ports. WTF

You have the PCIe 1x Bus right there with all this bandwidth and you LUMP the lan in with the firewire and PCI ports?

That dosnt make sense

800MHz FSB... dont worry.. your computer is fast... it can handle it.

If you want an additional "TRUE" gigabit lan card... get a nice card to go on one of the pci-e slots.

*Agrees with CSx* What I'm wondering is why none of the manufacturers are using the Intel Gb LAN and audio solutions....

Beccara said:
Ok so i've just got my Intel Checked 915p Board from GB, reading the manual before i install it (yes i know) and i come across this completely werid thing

The Gigabite lan (Marvell 8001) is connected via the PCI 32/33 Bus, which is has to share with the 2 Pci slots and the 3 Firewire ports. WTF

You have the PCIe 1x Bus right there with all this bandwidth and you LUMP the lan in with the firewire and PCI ports?

That dosnt make sense
Intel doesn't currently offer their own Gigabit LAN solution for the PCI-e bus. In fact, the only Intel Gigabit LAN solution available that's integrated on motherboards - the PRO1000/CT - connects directly with the Northbridge. But the i915 series chipsets and the i925X chipset currently lack support for such a connection. Implementing such support would have made those chipsets much more expensive to make and to sell than they already are. As a result, the integrated Intel Gigabit solution is available only on motherboards based on i865 and i875 series chipsets.

Speaking of the Marvell Gigabit LAN solutions, the 8001 is cheaper, due to its connection to the PCI 32/33 bus. The Intel-brand motherboards use the Marvell 8050 Gigabit LAN controller, which uses the PCI-e bus. Sadly, the only Intel-brand motherboards that have Gigabit LAN use either the i925X chipset or the i915G chipset - none of their i915P-chipset-based mobos currently offer Gigabit LAN even as an option (that is, Intel's own i915P motherboards offer only 10/100 LAN, which uses the PCI 32/33 bus).

Back