Gigabit Connection - What Router?

refraxion

[H]F Junkie
Hey guys, I have the ASUS AC-3200 router, I was wondering which routers you guys recommend because it doesn't seem like this router can properly utilize gigabit speeds.

I like my Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite as my router, and a UniFi-LR WAP for my wireless. Works pretty well.
At my old apartment I had 350mbps cable (Cox hooked my up), and it could handle said speed without any issues. Should be able to handle gigabit WAN connectivity with ease.

Why do you think it cant proper utilize gigabit speeds?

What testing have you done on the wired ports?

Why do you think it cant proper utilize gigabit speeds?

What testing have you done on the wired ports?

Actually, its not me who has the gigabit internet, its my brother and he's asking me. He's tried direct connection and he's getting 1000/50. However once he starts using the Router, he's getting about half the speed 500mbps. If he tries to hide the network, he says he loses about another 100mbps. Which is weird.

By hiding I guess he means some kind of VPN. There are no MIPS platforms (within resonable pricing) that'll do 1Gbit in software, the fastest consumer platform I know of is the MT7621 platform which does about 500-600mbit tops (I've benchmarked). The ERL does line-rate if you can do hardware acceleration but you have a lot of features disabling it which leaves you at ~250mbit so I would be very careful with that device not to mention the numerous reports of corrupted filesystems. This leaves you with the ARM based platforms unless you want some beefy x86/AMD64-box. Unfortunately there aren't any suitable ARM-based platforms with good open source support out there right now, the Linksys is so-so at best. The Turris Omnia is going to be very interesting once it gets released but that's a few months away.

Since he wants gigabit speeds, most likely wireless and decent speed using VPN (the ERL is superslow in that regard) I'd say that the ASRock G10 router is good buy given the hardware and pricing. It's based on the Qualcomm IPQ8064 SoC so it'll do 1Gbit more than fine, VPN will be noticebly slower but still as good as it gets. That said, as far as I can tell the ASRock G10 doesn't include OpenVPN (or similar VPN software) right now but it'll most likely be added as many of the competetors have it.

Compared to the competition it's a very nice deal (hardware-wise).
https://goo.gl/ISpF7V

249$ at Newegg...

As for 3rd party firmware support in the future I'm going guess that the TP-Link box is the best candidate for now.

Thanks for the replies guys! He was able to obtain a Cisco router that worked much better than his ASUS router. Allowed for 1gigabit WAN where the ASUS could not.

Back