ghettoness e6400 before 58*C after 43*C

tisb0b

[H] Pirate
Bloody hot weather middle of the day in Australia close to or more than 30*C. My stock e6400 usually idles around 45-50*C and speedfan was reading it at a toasty 57-60*C at idle. Also my x1950xtx was idling at 80*C usually 60-70*C. So in my ghettoness I took off the side of my computer case I then grabbed a 48cm fan which was cooling me chucked it on max, took it off the stand and am now supporting the fan with the side of my leg as it blows air into the side of the comp. Well what do you know my temps dropped by about 20*C and the processor is now idling at 43*C and my x1950xtx is idling at 63*C.

So do you guys have any cheap/ghetto ideas to keep my comp cool over the holidays?

Why the big jump in temps? Just a big change in ambient temps?

What you're doing now is probably the best way to cool your case down. Take off the cover and use a big box fan to blow the air around.

dude

im under a bout a foot of snow. they call our climate "mild". i call them idiots.

you want an idea to keep your system cool over the holidays? put your computer outside.

MrWizard6600 said:
dude

im under a bout a foot of snow. they call our climate "mild". i call them idiots.

you want an idea to keep your system cool over the holidays? put your computer outside.

I'm in Australia and it's summer so therefore its fucking hot

kirbyrj said:
Why the big jump in temps? Just a big change in ambient temps?

What you're doing now is probably the best way to cool your case down. Take off the cover and use a big box fan to blow the air around.

The ambient temp has jumped up with the summer heat and I'm looking for something a bit more permanent I'm considering buying a couple of case fans to reduce the heat and get the heat out of the case.

What kind of budget are you looking at? Have room to mount those case fans? 120mm's are great.

Had you thought about moving to a water cooling setup? That would cool your system down a lot!

Sounds like poor airflow inside the case. How are your cables looking? Try tucking them in a bit out of the way of everything. Maybe upgrade case fans to something better, or add if they're not present.

ziddey said:
Sounds like poor airflow inside the case. How are your cables looking? Try tucking them in a bit out of the way of everything. Maybe upgrade case fans to something better, or add if they're not present.

I agree, with a 20c drop, sounds like you have poor flow in your case with the cover on. Got any pics of the inside of your case?
Cable management (tucking, re-routing, removing un-needed wires) can definitely improve airflow and overall system temps.

Also is your PC sitting on the floor.... is the floor surface carpeted? Raising computer cases off the floor and giving them some clearance underneath helps a little. Is your PC under a desk? Is the back panel of the desk up against the PS exhaust?

Amazing how many people buy those "assemble it yourself" computer desks that have those "computer" enclosures that only have openings for the wiring, and no way to exhaust the hot air.

As far as "cheap/ghetto" ideas... since you're in Aus and not willing to relocate to Sibieria, how about.... placing the PC in the bathroo.. err... Loo? Most bathrooms are ceramic tiled (most of the ones I've used are), and are ususally several degrees cooler than the rest of the house.
;)

I spent $24 on a couple of 80mm case fans, I've got one at the top back blowing air over the cpu, then I have another one on the left side taking the air out from the graphics card probably not the best configuration. So I might experiment with chucking the one near the graphics card at the front of the case blowing air in and the one at the back blowing air out of the case.

Below is what I currently have (I don't have a digital camera)
comp1ur4.jpg

and this is what I'm thinking of having
comp2tq3.jpg

Got any other ideas for fan placement as I'd rather not modify the case for fans so chucking one in the top is a no go.

Oh yeah put an intake fan at the bottom and put an outtake fan at the top. Cleaned up the wiring, took a redundant cd drive out and my cpu is idling at a cool 38*C. Some of that is probably due to the temperature being a heck of alot cooler than it was yesterday :cool:

loxety said:
Had you thought about moving to a water cooling setup? That would cool your system down a lot!
high ambient temps with watercooling dont mix. you have to have lower temps for a good result. yes, your temps will be better and your load only a few c higher than your idle, but its not worth it if you have ass hot ambient temps.

for example, it was 980f in my room and i was idling 35-37c and loading 41c with pretty high end water. yesterday it was 60f in my room and i was idling 25c and loading 30c...

jcll2002 said:
high ambient temps with watercooling dont mix. you have to have lower temps for a good result. yes, your temps will be better and your load only a few c higher than your idle, but its not worth it if you have ass hot ambient temps.

for example, it was 980f in my room and i was idling 35-37c and loading 41c with pretty high end water. yesterday it was 60f in my room and i was idling 25c and loading 30c...
shit man, thats pretty hot. i dont know how you take it

Back