GF3 Ti500 vs. Radeon 9100

TheAcorn

Gawd
I have the option for two video cards... GF3 Ti500 or a Radeon 9100 - Now before everyone screams "ATI!" bear in mind I only play Counter-Strike...

I'm leaning towards the GF3, anyone have any reason not to? I think they'd both perform the same for the most part anyways.

only thing I found was something saying "onpar" with the GF 3 500, I'd say check the specs of the ram (the most important part) and then make the decision based largely on that. I have heard of a few small issues with newer ATI GPUs such as the 9800 and 9700 causing slow downs in CS, but I don't think the 9100 is inclusive. And if it is, you are adept enough to fix the small problems. I'd go ATI but that's just me, I mean if the ram is the same or better when NVIDIA finally (!!) dies off like 3DFX ATI will still be making the new drivers :).

~Adam

The Ti500 was a bit faster than a Radeon 8500, therefore it would be a bit faster than a Radeon 9100.

The Radeon 8500/9100 has a few thing going for it though like advanced 1.4 pixel shader support and a more robust DX8 package than the Geforce3. AA quality is better while being more efficient as well.

The radeon 9100 is not the same card as the 8500. It is the same card as the 8500 le. This means that the core and memory are both clocked at 250, instead of the original 275 in the 8500.
The Geforce 3 ti500 was/is on par with the original 8500. Since that isn't one of your choices, the geforce 3 card is the clear winner.

At the time of release, the 8500 was on par with the GF3Ti500, but as drivers matured, they became comparable to a Ti4200. However, yeah, the 9100 is a rebadged 8500LE so performance would be mostly in between the Ti500 and the Ti4200.

Personally, I'd go with the 9100 since it supports slightly more advanced pixel shaders (HL2 will take advantage of it, though that really might be non-issue considering this is "weaker" hardware) and I'd rather be able to run AF over AA (the Radeon does AF better and faster than the GF3, while the GF3 does AA better than the Radeon).

Not to argue, :) but at the time of its release, the radeon 8500 was clearly inferior to the geforce 3ti 500. Yes improvements in the drivers made it perform on par with the geforce 3ti 500 and sometimes in some games , the 4200.

either should max out your CS fps. And since that's all you really want, get the cheaper one. Or the one you like more. Or the prettier one. Or the one with the brand name stamped on it that you like. Or whatever. They're both great cards for the price, although i'd choose the 8500/9100 and then o/c it. The Ti500 is no slouch either.

Arent you guys comparing the Ti500 to the 64meg 8500 it was competing against? the 9100 is 128meg and it probably has a bit more OC headroom what process is it built on?

I'd go ATI for the better picture quality, I had an 850064meg, and a 9700pro both did 99constant fps in cs at 1024x768, and also Id go with ati because u cant get a new Ti500 anymore :) but you can still get a new 9100 :D

Go for the 9100 if you're limited between those two choices. They should be roughly the same price, and since the 9100 has 128 MB, I would THINK it would be able to run a little bit higher res/eye candy, although this is fairly low-end hardware now.

I loved my Ti-500, it was a fantastic card and a fantastic overclocker. It served me well.

I let my friend borrow it a year back or so while he was in-between video cards. He then purchased a 9100 for himself and I got my card back. He still has that card and to this day says the Ti-500 was superior. I know this because he asked me many times if I was using it, etc., and even tried to get me to trade it for his 9100 and some other spare parts. Unfortunately the Ti-500 died in a horrible Volc 7 accident (the one-hole clip was a terrible design flaw) and I had to say no. But my point is, a guy who tried both cards in the same system felt the Ti-500 was certainly better. FYI, he's a huge CS player. ;)

geforce3 was my favorite line of geforce so im a bit partial

TI500 all the way.

Back