Getting Valve to tell you why you were banned from Steam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

finalgt

Supreme [H]ardness
Yeah, title pretty much says it all. I've been banned for 6 months now, and it just recently struck me how fucking ludicrous it is that I don't make a fuss about it. It was a faulty ban...I was on a server for 10 minutes with absolutely no problems, but I was doing poorly so I decided to reconnect (superstitious thing of mine). Upon reconnecting, I was banned. I tried again, and got the same message. I then decided to try to connect to a different VAC server, at which point I was notified that I've been banned from VAC servers until 2008. Errr...right.

It didn't even tell me what I did to get banned, it just said to use Valve's stupidass "please unban me" form. The entire fucking form is a joke...it's condescending in every way they could possibly think up (the button says "I swear I am telling the truth!" heh...funny) but that's besides the point. They tell you right there on the page that if they feel that they banned you justly, that you will never hear from them again.

Hey, fuckers. I paid $40 for your shit, I'd venture so far as to say it's illegal to ban me from all further usage of it without giving me so much as the common courtesy to explain why.

You'll notice this probably isn't the proper place to post such a thing; one would imagine Valve's forums at steampowered are a better idea, right? Wrong. They're worthless.

Anybody else gotten this kind of deal?

Originally posted by finalgt
Yeah, title pretty much says it all. I've been banned for 6 months now, and it just recently struck me how fucking ludicrous it is that I don't make a fuss about it. It was a faulty ban...I was on a server for 10 minutes with absolutely no problems, but I was doing poorly so I decided to reconnect (superstitious thing of mine). Upon reconnecting, I was banned. I tried again, and got the same message. I then decided to try to connect to a different VAC server, at which point I was notified that I've been banned from VAC servers until 2008. Errr...right.

It didn't even tell me what I did to get banned, it just said to use Valve's stupidass "please unban me" form. The entire fucking form is a joke...it's condescending in every way they could possibly think up (the button says "I swear I am telling the truth!" heh...funny) but that's besides the point. They tell you right there on the page that if they feel that they banned you justly, that you will never hear from them again.

Hey, fuckers. I paid $40 for your shit, I'd venture so far as to say it's illegal to ban me from all further usage of it without giving me so much as the common courtesy to explain why.

You'll notice this probably isn't the proper place to post such a thing; one would imagine Valve's forums at steampowered are a better idea, right? Wrong. They're worthless.

Anybody else gotten this kind of deal?

It's reasons like this that I've never wasted a penny on Valve software. That is one messed up company.

well you can get that mssg if u have annnnyyyyyy files on whole computer related to hacking.....but anyways 1.6 sux go play 1.5 and your only banned from secure servers if u get the "2008" mssg

There's not a 100% proof that you didn't cheat or use any 3rd party program.

Originally posted by Keem
Its the principle

im not talking about principles. it is true that it would be cheaper to buy another copy of halflife, than to hire a lawyer, just to get your cdkey working again, not to mention guaranteed.

Originally posted by doh-nut
im not talking about principles. it is true that it would be cheaper to buy another copy of halflife, than to hire a lawyer, just to get your cdkey working again, not to mention guaranteed.

Yes...that's true, but in the end...they win out and you still LOSE.

Originally posted by eLus1ve

The only 100% proof is if I never played CS to begin with, because Valve is a bunch of incompetent fucks. At any given moment, there's probably an 80% cheating rate on non-secure servers...and 75% on VAC servers.

Such is the incompetency of Valve.

Originally posted by eLus1ve

That logic would work against anyone. They should ban everyone and go out of business. Then Gabe The Hutt can get a job at ShitDonald's and see if he can flip burgers faster than he can shovel them into his fat face.

Wow, maybe playing on insecure servers isn't as bad as I thought. I just played a quick round on one, and the people were actually *gasp* friendly. There was one guy who was obviously hacking, but he didn't have the skill in using it like most hackers on secure servers have (read: he sucked), and there was only one of him...much better than any "secure" server that I remember.

The fact that Valve feels it necessary to ban people for a year upon detecting a "cheat" is evidence of how much faith they have in their anticheat protections. If they felt that it actually worked on a consistent basis, then they wouldn't ban people universally; they'd let their anticheat take care of the people server by server.

FU, Valve. FU.

Wow, maybe playing on insecure servers isn't as bad as I thought. I just played a quick round on one, and the people were actually *gasp* friendly. There was one guy who was obviously hacking, but he didn't have the skill in using it like most hackers on secure servers have (read: he sucked), and there was only one of him...much better than any "secure" server that I remember.

The fact that Valve feels it necessary to ban people for a year upon detecting a "cheat" is evidence of how much faith they have in their anticheat protections. If they felt that it actually worked on a consistent basis, then they wouldn't ban people universally; they'd let their anticheat take care of the people server by server.

FU, Valve. FU.

I've been banned from VAC servers until 2008

Uh, it isn't 2007? Where did a 1 year ban come from?

The only 100% proof is if I never played CS to begin with, because Valve is a bunch of incompetent fucks. At any given moment, there's probably an 80% cheating rate on non-secure servers...and 75% on VAC servers.

Did you just pull thos statistics out of...the air?

:rolleyes:

Yes, obviously there aren't actual statistics on what percentage of players cheat...I said what I did to emphasise the fact that the only thing VAC bans is the people who searched for "Counter-strike 1.6 hack" in their search engine, as opposed to the people who searched for "Counter-strike 1.6 VAC hack."

The 2008 date comes from the time I was banned; 5 years from October 18th, 2003. It just occurred to me that evidently retry is 5 times as harsh of a command to use as aimbot or wallhacks, since those crimes only bring a punishment of one year.

It is no way illegal to ban you from free servers that you are not entitled to by purchasing the software. Besides, when was Half Life 40 dollars? 1999? Annnyywayyy, just fill out the form and they will let you back in. I would rather have them be a bit over agressive with hunting cheaters than underagressive

Originally posted by huxley
It is no way illegal to ban you from free servers that you are not entitled to by purchasing the software. Besides, when was Half Life 40 dollars? 1999? Annnyywayyy, just fill out the form and they will let you back in. I would rather have them be a bit over agressive with hunting cheaters than underagressive

I disagree. It would be better for them to actually ban cheaters and not people trying to reconnect. :rolleyes:

get a lawyer, they will most likeley bend if u say you are getting one.
or better yet, write the CEO of valve or WE the top dog is....
itl go to the appropriate customer relations ppl, and they will get you a new key or un ban you...

Originally posted by ’m‚³‚ñ
I disagree. It would be better for them to actually ban cheaters and not people trying to reconnect. :rolleyes:
That is not the point...the point is that something about him was suspicious so they banned him.

There have been false positives before. I remember one false positive detected faulty memory or something like that. If you really did not cheat, then there is no reason why you wouldn't fill out a form, even if it requests a little "ass kissing". They don't know who you are and really don't care.

Second thing to do is buy another copy of HL and forget about this whole thing. If you get banned again, then you really have to wonder why this is the case. It would likely something on your end.

This whole lawyer talk is really stupid. Would you really spend thousands of dollars to make a point? to save $20? Any judge would throw it out anyway. I promise you that Valve would not even respond to you if you told them that you were getting legal counsel. I am sure they hear that a lot of these idle threats from cheaters.

Lastly, let your wallet and voice do the boycotting. May not do a damn thing to Valve, but that is the strongest point you can make.

Originally posted by rusty
you have my support denog. much love.
-rusty

lmao, I was hoping you wouldn't see this. Damn.

Yeah, I'm weak. I needs me the internet gamin'.

Originally posted by huxley
It is no way illegal to ban you from free servers that you are not entitled to by purchasing the software. Besides, when was Half Life 40 dollars? 1999? Annnyywayyy, just fill out the form and they will let you back in. I would rather have them be a bit over agressive with hunting cheaters than underagressive.

I don't think you understand what that little form is...all I'm asking for is for them to tell me why I was banned. At this point I really don't care so much that I can't play on secure servers, but rather why I can't play on secure servers. They only respond to you if they feel you were falsely banned, but if they feel VAC was working alright then they don't respond to you at all. That's just fucking stupid.

Heh, and people still ask me why I don't play CS anymore. Honestly, I'm not all that hyped up anymore about Half-Life 2. :(

Yes, obviously there aren't actual statistics on what percentage of players cheat...I said what I did to emphasise the fact that the only thing VAC bans is the people who searched for "Counter-strike 1.6 hack" in their search engine, as opposed to the people who searched for "Counter-strike 1.6 VAC hack."

The 2008 date comes from the time I was banned; 5 years from October 18th, 2003. It just occurred to me that evidently retry is 5 times as harsh of a command to use as aimbot or wallhacks, since those crimes only bring a punishment of one year.

They ban people who use their search engine to look for CS hacks? You have got to be kidding me?

Originally posted by par0thead151
get a lawyer, they will most likeley bend if u say you are getting one.
or better yet, write the CEO of valve or WE the top dog is....
itl go to the appropriate customer relations ppl, and they will get you a new key or un ban you...

:rolleyes: do people not know what an EULA is :confused:

Originally posted by The Other
til 2008..............

don't worry CS will still be there.

:D :rolleyes:

cs:cz will be out by then and he will have a key for that

I can't believe people are suggesting that you buy another copy of Half-Life. If you bought a car and the dealership stole two tires, would you buy a new vehicle? The car will still drive, though it won't be very enjoyable. The prices are different, but the principle is the same.

just to get your cdkey working again, not to mention guaranteed.

Who is to say that he won't be banned again for something ridiculous?

It's not even the being banned thing that pisses me off...true, I wasn't cheating, but I can see the point in having the same ban for all offenses...

All I ask is that they make me aware of what the fucking offense was. It doesn't seem like too much.

Originally posted by The Other
Maybe they are trying to shed off CS players so it can die.

lol 'This game is costing us money! Randomly ban 100 users, then ban them for 5 years when they ask why they were banned.'

All I ask is that they make me aware of what the fucking offense was. It doesn't seem like too much.

They probably don't even know. I'll bet somesoftware somewhere deicded to ban you, and didn't even bother tyring to log why.

Originally posted by WickedAngel
I can't believe people are suggesting that you buy another copy of Half-Life. If you bought a car and the dealership stole two tires, would you buy a new vehicle? The car will still drive, though it won't be very enjoyable. The prices are different, but the principle is the same.

Who is to say that he won't be banned again for something ridiculous?
poor analogy....a closer one would be getting pulled over for suspicion of drinking and getting your license taken away temporarily until you contacted the police and just told them that you were innocent and they let you off....

The analogy works fine for the principle involved. Cars can move without all their tires. Of course, they're severely limited.

9-YEARS in Good Standing....
THEN
I got banned for a month for what should have been seen as an amusing comment, in response to a pointless non-response comment by some dude in a thread he just stuck one word in; and which had no context, no specifics in terms of reference, and was not responding to anyone about anything in particular...Seriously.

He said;-

"good"

BUT NOBODY KNOWS WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT...
So, I said:-

"Another pointless and empty post.

Don`t bother commenting unless you can explain what was `good`; as you could be talking about the reproductive organs of your pet goat for all we know.."

STEAM SAID THIS:-
You have been banned from Steam Discussions
You have been banned from Steam Discussions by a Steam Community Moderator for your post in "http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/648814845404204770/":
Ban Reason:
filter bypass(has been edited)/ infraction history across forums/ not altering behavior.

Please review the Discussions Rules and Guidelines.

This ban will expire on 26 May @ 3:46am. Until then, you will not be able to post in Steam Discussions.

Q.
Are they braindead or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back