Getting ready to build a new rig....

schenks

[H]ard|Gawd
.....so, I figure'd I'd see what recommendations people could throw at me :D

I guess a little background before this goes through. I'm building myself a new workstation for (primarily) UT3 development and various school stuff, mostly relating to C++ development w/ OpenGL and DirectX. Folding will occur on this machine, since you know, why not :D

Anyhoo, I'm definitely getting some Newegg gift certificates for Xmas, so that will be where I'm ordering EVERYTHING from. Right now, I'm sort of building in 2 frames of mind. The first is the "necessary", and then the rest is "the rest of the system" category. I figure, at worst case, I can swap my A64 X2 stuff into my fileserver, and then put the new "necessary" stuff in the case for my current main rig (already has a 500W PSU, hard drives, etc., so mainly swap in new mobo, ram, cpu). Past there, I'll really be seeing how much money I have, and whether or not I can afford to build the complete rig.

Anyway, so goes the stuff...

Necessary Parts:

In terms of the necessary list, if anyone can recommend any comparable cheaper motherboards and ram to bring down the budget a bit, then by all means, PLEASE tell me. I'm not planning on overclocking it very much, if at all, but I'll likely get some sort of better heatsink anyway.

Past that, if I do end up having enough money, I'm really basically getting an 8800gt for video, running at most 2 hard drives, and one DVD burner. For this complete system, I was thinking about getting the Corsair 450VX. I can't imagine why this wouldn't be enough power to run the rig, but hey, if I'm thinking wrong, lemme know :D

My luck with mobo's has been sketchy at best, so I'm not going to try and help there. I personally think the 450VX should suit you just fine, and the OCZ is a good choice in my opinion...

If you are going to overclock the quad and add an aftermarket cooler newegg sells an OEM q6600 for ~$250

If you are going to overclock the quad and add an aftermarket cooler newegg sells an OEM q6600 for ~$250

hot...triple post :p

definitely thinking bout going w/ the OEM one plus an aftermarket heatsink, even if it does end up being a bit more expensive....regardless of overclocking or not, if it ends up w/ the proc running cooler, better in the long run

how are MSI boards these days? i would go abit or asus for p35 the abit p35 e is a great board.

My original choice had been the abit IP35-Pro, and is certainly in the top 3 right now for me. however, i've been seeing a good number of positive reviews on the MSI Neo2 board. At $50 cheaper, it's a big budget consideration. That being said, I may still bump up for the abit board, depending on how the final budget rolls together. :D

What about the DFI Blood Iron? It's pretty cheap and it's DFI, so it should be a good overclocker. I have an IP35-Pro and I like it myself, it's a solid board.

hot...triple post :p

definitely thinking bout going w/ the OEM one plus an aftermarket heatsink, even if it does end up being a bit more expensive....regardless of overclocking or not, if it ends up w/ the proc running cooler, better in the long run
Well the Q6600 runs COLD if not overclocked. In my thread
I tell how cool mine runs. The retail cooler doesn't even get warm to the touch.
And note it was a Fry's deal for $278 m/b & CPU, another $30 for RAM,

If it ran any cooler I'd use it for A/C in the summer. :)

What about the DFI Blood Iron? It's pretty cheap and it's DFI, so it should be a good overclocker.

Indeed this one is pretty cheap, I'm going to have to keep this in mind.

Well the Q6600 runs COLD if not overclocked. In my thread
I tell how cool mine runs. The retail cooler doesn't even get warm to the touch.
And note it was a Fry's deal for $278 m/b & CPU, another $30 for RAM,

If it ran any cooler I'd use it for A/C in the summer. :)

That's also very good to hear, since I don't plan on overclocking at this point.

Back