Getting a 0xc0000005 error

All-Or-Nothing

Weaksauce
Started up my computer today and got a message saying "This application was unable to start correctly"...blah blah blah 0xc0000005 error code.

This happens for Chrome, Utorrent, Internet Explorer, Firefox....any program really. The computer does load all the way to the desktop and I can open folders and pictures. I does let me open handbrake and Makemkv programs for some reason.

Any suggestions?????

Thanks..I have 4..4GB sticks on the board so I will start with one and find out which creates a problem

Sounds like the behavior a lot of rogue-antivirus infections I've had to remove over the last few years.

Sounds like the behavior a lot of rogue-antivirus infections I've had to remove over the last few years.

Yep same came to my mind. My parents had something like this and after removal all file associations (all of them) were gone.

Since it was only 2 weeks old computer with up to date AV I knew it was time to dump Windows from also the new laptop. Fast forward 2 years and they're happily using that same linux installation with zero problems.

Yep same came to my mind. My parents had something like this and after removal all file associations (all of them) were gone.

Since it was only 2 weeks old computer with up to date AV I knew it was time to dump Windows from also the new laptop. Fast forward 2 years and they're happily using that same linux installation with zero problems.

Any suggestions. Thinking about just pulling my Baby's pics off this hard drive and just reinstall Vista Ultimate from scratch.

Also the specs

AMD A10-5800K
Biostar HiFi-A85W motherboard
G. Skill DDR3 4GB ram (4 sticks for 16GB total)

Any suggestions. Thinking about just pulling my Baby's pics off this hard drive and just reinstall Vista Ultimate from scratch.

I would treat the pictures with high caution (if you choose to install windows again) as whatever you have on your computer may have infected them.

Naturally I would suggest installing a linux distro instead. If the computer is old a frugal install of puppy linux will make it lightning fast - if it's a later model something like Sabayon or Xubuntu would fit the bill.

Linux has a learning curve but I assure you it can be very fun to learn about it if you have time and like challenges. The modern distros are pretty much plug&play especially if you have an nvidia graphics card.

Edit: For your specs I would try Sabayon probably. The cool thing about linuxes is that you can just burn them on a dvd and boot directly from DVD to try them out. You can then use the OS, copy files from windows disks if you like etc. without ever installing 1 file on the actual computer.

Last edited:
I would treat the pictures with high caution (if you choose to install windows again) as whatever you have on your computer may have infected them.

Naturally I would suggest installing a linux distro instead. If the computer is old a frugal install of puppy linux will make it lightning fast - if it's a later model something like Sabayon or Xubuntu would fit the bill.

Linux has a learning curve but I assure you it can be very fun to learn about it if you have time and like challenges. The modern distros are pretty much plug&play especially if you have an nvidia graphics card.

Edit: For your specs I would try Sabayon probably. The cool thing about linuxes is that you can just burn them on a dvd and boot directly from DVD to try them out. You can then use the OS, copy files from windows disks if you like etc. without ever installing 1 file on the actual computer.

Thanks alot for the tips. I wound up using a brand new Hard drive and installing Windows 7 Ultimate then scanning the old hard drive for viruses (none were present) and pulling all my kids pics off that drive. I will just wipe that old drive and slap it in my FlexRaid pool.

I am however gonna try what you suggested on another computer and see how I like it.

Back