Get the 30'' Dell or wait for prices to drop on the 2405fpw.

What should I do?

• Wait for the 30''

Votes: 38 32.5%
  • Wait for prices on 2405fpw go down.

Votes: 79 67.5%

• Total voters

the gamer

[H]ard|Gawd
Should I get the new upcoming 30'' Dell monitor or wait for the price on the 24'' 2405fpw to drop?

I hear the 30'' is not that good and the 2405fpw is more than enough for me.

After seeing the 3007 has no VGA, or S/vide, component, RCA (which I admittedly never used anyway)...fuck it.

get a 2405.

I want to be able to use both of my computers on 1 monitor....and the 3007 just won't cut it.

After seeing the connections on this thing, I'm gonna wait till the 2405s hit the 400-500 mark and get a second one... only problem is I'm not sure of any games that accept dual screens when playing?

I'd go for the 30" if your only going to be using it for a computer with no gaming.

got a brand new 2405 on ebay for 700!!! merry christmas to me!!!!! :D

Mysticcal said:
After seeing the connections on this thing, I'm gonna wait till the 2405s hit the 400-500 mark and get a second one... only problem is I'm not sure of any games that accept dual screens when playing?

There are a few companies that make a breakoutbox that will allow you to split a higher resolution between 2 screens(set it to 3200x120 and itll display 1600x1200 on each monitor). This mean as long as you can set the resolution you need you can display anything on both at one time,

I do think there will be another version of the 30in with all the goodies like the 24in.

Ultra Wide said:
I do think there will be another version of the 30in with all the goodies like the 24in.

Oh, why do you say? Please tell me I need to know. :|

the gamer: said:
My sig pc is a Gaming pc so.
The 30" Dell is NOT a gaming monitor. I've been stating that in several threads. The resolution requires a very powerful video sub-system like SLI or Crossfire setups, and not low end cards either. So, your only choice is the 2405.

APOLLO said:
The 30" Dell is NOT a gaming monitor. I've been stating that in several threads. The resolution requires a very powerful video sub-system like SLI or Crossfire setups, and not low end cards either. So, your only choice is the 2405.

I disagree. The games do NOT have to be played at 2560x1600. Games played at lower resolutions will still look good. AND, by the time the monitor is in full swing nvidia will have new cards based on their g70 chip (or is it the g71). Anyway they will have a new high end card out. It may not be made for gaming but its not gonna stop peeps from using it for gaming.
.........SO THERE!! :D

APOLLO said:
The monitor will support 1920x1200 just fine and it'll look awesome :)

7800GT and 7800GTX and 7800GTX 512MB have at least 1 dual-link DVI port. Do not confuse dual DVI with dual-link DVI. dual-link DVI is an electrical specification while dual DVI just refers to 2 physical DVI ports which could both be dual-link DVI or not.

Anyway, you do not need SLi to run @ 2560x1600 all you need is a card that has the dual-link DVI specification. I think all ATi X1800-series have 2 dual-link DVI ports and all nVidia 7800-series have 1 dual-link DVI port. (all cards have at least 1 x DVI ports)

If they are dropping all the inputs from the 30", who's to say that they aren't going to do the same with the 24"?

i am waiting on the price drops. 30" is way to big that close for me. 24" seems perfect

StalkerZER0: said:
I disagree. The games do NOT have to be played at 2560x1600. Games played at lower resolutions will still look good. AND, by the time the monitor is in full swing nvidia will have new cards based on their g70 chip (or is it the g71). Anyway they will have a new high end card out. It may not be made for gaming but its not gonna stop peeps from using it for gaming.
RexPokinghorn: said:
The monitor will support 1920x1200 just fine and it'll look awesome
With the possession of certain knowledge I'm detecting in these replies, I assume you guys have seen games on a 30" ACD being played at a resolution other than the native 2560x1600??

dannyallen34 said:
If they are dropping all the inputs from the 30", who's to say that they aren't going to do the same with the 24"?
I don't think it's such a big deal. I know there are some that use the screen for console gaming and as a TV with a cable box hooked up to it but the quality sucks in my opinion. I love the output from the computer as gaming on the PC with this LCD is wonderful but it just doesn't cut it when using the analog inputs. Motion was pretty f'ing blurry in my opinion. Turning off scaling didn't help matters either. However, I will miss the lack of a VGA input if I decide to buy one of these beasts.

Maybe they will use a better scaler in this panel? I'll take that over analog inputs anyday.

tesfaye said:
I don't think it's such a big deal. I know there are some that use the screen for console gaming and as a TV with a cable box hooked up to it but the quality sucks in my opinion. I love the output from the computer as gaming on the PC with this LCD is wonderful but it just doesn't cut it when using the analog inputs. Motion was pretty f'ing blurry in my opinion. Turning off scaling didn't help matters either. However, I will miss the lack of a VGA input if I decide to buy one of these beasts.

Maybe they will use a better scaler in this panel? I'll take that over analog inputs anyday.

Well then, besides analog inputs is there a way to plug in directtv straight into the computer?
I mean besides using an ati all in wonder. :rolleyes:

StalkerZER0 said:
Well then, besides analog inputs is there a way to plug in directtv straight into the computer?
I mean besides using an ati all in wonder. :rolleyes:
Dunno what the whole rolling eyes thing is about since I was expressing MY OPINION on the situation. Unless there are analog to DVI/HDCP converters or switchboxes out there that don't cost a fortune then yes, a video card with HD capable video inputs would be your only option. I haven't seen any official word on Dell's site so who knows, things could change.

My guess is that there probably aren't any AD chips out there to handle resolutions above 1920x1080. On top of that the engineers may have determined that the video quality from the chips that they have been using or from what is available isn't satisfactory for a panel with such a high resolution if they ran the final AD converted signal through the scaler to reach the panel's max resolution. Perhaps the performance wasn't there to handle scaling a 1920x1080 image to 2560xwhatever.

tesfaye said:
Dunno what the whole rolling eyes thing is about since I was expressing MY OPINION on the situation. Unless there are analog to DVI/HDCP converters or switchboxes out there that don't cost a fortune then yes, a video card with HD capable video inputs would be your only option. I haven't seen any official word on Dell's site so who knows, things could change.

My guess is that there probably aren't any AD chips out there to handle resolutions above 1920x1080. On top of that the engineers may have determined that the video quality from the chips that they have been using or from what is available isn't satisfactory for a panel with such a high resolution if they ran the final AD converted signal through the scaler to reach the panel's max resolution. Perhaps the performance wasn't there to handle scaling a 1920x1080 image to 2560xwhatever.

The rollin eyes was there because usually somebody would type "ati all in wonder". It seems to be like an automatic answer to alot of questions around here.
Hopefully our questions will be answered jan 5th. Unless some kind dell geek would care to leak some more info? ;)

Why would the tv signal have to be displayed at the monitor's full resolution anyway? Movies sure but why the tv signal? And couldn't the tv signal be displayed in a seperate window?

i would wait cuz the specs for the 30inch just suck right now and the 24 inch has more features

StalkerZER0 said:
The rollin eeys was there because usually somebody would type "ati all in wonder". It seems to be like an automatic answer to alot of questions around here.
Hopefully our questions will be answered jan 5th. Unless some kind dell geek would care to leak some more info? ;)

Why would the tv signal have to be displayed at the monitor's full resolution anyway? Movies sure but why the tv signal? And couldn't the tv signal be displayed in a seperate window?

With the exception of picture in picture you won't be watching TV, DVD etc at it's native res on the panel which would be a really tiny screen for 480i/p material. The monitor has to scale it to whatever the native resolution of the panel is. With the native resolution of the 3007 being as high as it is it doesn't matter what the source material is. If it's not the PC sending it's full res to the monitor then the input signal needs to be scaled to match the resolution of the panel if you are running the signal full screen.

About the TV in a seperate window.... If the inputs and circuitry were in place to handle the task then yes. I would work like the 2405 or something along those lines.

I'm curious to see what the press release says about the panel to get an idea about how they are marketing this beast. Frankly these threads about gaming performance and movie perfmance and complaints about the lack of inputs are pointless. It's not going to be a cheap display. It's a really high res display that a lot of video cards will have problems driving. You will need a high end card or specific mid range cards from Nvidia. I feel this display is targeted towards professionals needing extreme amounts of desktop real estate.

dunno .. i think i will be picking one up as soon as they come out and sell my current 2405

A lot of people seem to think it's a bad idea to use the 2405 as a TV. I have an HDTV set top box from my cable provider plugged into my 2405 using component cables. I use the cable box to upscale all content to 1080i. Doing that or using the native signal resolution doesn't seem to make a difference in quality to me (i.e. using the upscaler on the STB or the 2405).

Yes, I can understand why some people would say it can be blurry. When there's fast motion on screen, it does blur a little bit. But I have to say that the picture quality is still FANTASTIC. I can't say enough good things about this monitor. For a guy who isn't rich like myself and who doesn't own a regular HDTV, this thing is night and day better over watching TV on my 27" CRT. 720p and 1080i content is jaw-dropping.

For me at least, no component inputs is a huge deal breaker for the 30", not that I would be ready to replace my amazing monitor after a few months anyway. I love it.

jetjaguar said:
dunno .. i think i will be picking one up as soon as they come out and sell my current 2405

I had this idea as well but I'm not so sure anymore, size and resolution are fine but it looks like they took a big step back with features (the panel's contrast isn't as good as the 2405's, it's missing all the cool inputs etc) I guess I will have to wait and read the reviews.

yeah i dont care about the inputs .. all i want is to use it as a monitor .. nothing else

peacetilence said:
I had this idea as well but I'm not so sure anymore, size and resolution are fine but it looks like they took a big step back with features (the panel's contrast isn't as good as the 2405's, it's missing all the cool inputs etc) I guess I will have to wait and read the reviews.
700:1 is still really good. The 2405 is a supposed 1000:1 and that thing is too bright for a lot of people. Let's just hope it's a non-leaky, evenly backlit 700:1.

marcusj3000 said:
i would wait cuz the specs for the 30inch just suck right now and the 24 inch has more features

What do you mean wait? Do you mean wait to see what the 30 inch Samsung panel will feature? Its supposed to come out sometime in Q1 2006. Maybe it will be better? Better or not the samsung model will surely be more expensive.

im still waiting for them to announce the price .. cuz i might be ordering one .. and replacing my 2405 with it

i would go for the 2405 because the new 30 inch has just an insane native resolution. what video card in the world is going to be able to handle that kind of resolution playing games?!

Back