Get a macbook now or wait a bit?

gigglebyte said:
I feel sorry for your cousin ;) cause I get those calls from a few friends as well as my father and sister (for their PCs) but yeah...get the AppleCare Protection Plan as it is a good piece of mind

lol well, I'm the pc guy of the family so he's called me on several occasions ;)

Fortuantely there's an apple store somewhat close by, and allegedly they're opening a new one real close to my apartment, we'll see how long that takes though.

Fuck it I am just going to get one friday. They still have the ipod thing then too, so I will go ahead and do that. I think I will get the cheapest one upgraded w/ 80GB drive and 1GB (one stick from teh apple store) and buy the ipod, sell the ipod and buy another 1GB stick of ram then wait for my rebate in the mail. So macbook w/ 2GB ram for ~1200. I would rather have an extra gig of ram then 200 Mhz anyways.

or maybe I will get an extra battery instead, I don't know.
Anybody use the mighty mouse?

Pretty much the same thing I said Sunday night when I ordered my MBP. I had a strong feeling there were no laptop announcements coming.

you have to get the mighty mouse, either wired or not. it takes a day or two to get used to but the squeeze application switching is a must, not to mention the ball scroll wheel. Personally, I still use only one mouse button, but there's also the contextual "right" click, too.

Well, I'm holding out on the MB for a few months, as I am in need of more of the green stuff.

I've been saving up 1/2 the cost of my macbook to share it with my dad, and I've had my end of the bargain for a while, and he gave me the go-ahead today and I'm going to pick it up today when I have time. Going to upgrade at the store to a single 1gig stick, and that's about it, get a free 4GB nano (old style) because they all dropped $50 in price. That holds almost my entire purchased music library. Woot, I'm excited. I even have a full copy of win xp sp2 waiting and ready to install as well.

Little black macbook here I come :D

Optional87 said:

Get a fully-upgraded white one and use the extra cash to pick up another 1GB of RAM. You'll see better performance from an extra GB of RAM than from black finish.

CEpeep said:
Get a fully-upgraded white one and use the extra cash to pick up another 1GB of RAM. You'll see better performance from an extra GB of RAM than from black finish.

even better get the standard ram and spend 150 or so at newegg getting 2 gig...makes a WORLD of difference

yeah well in all honesty I think I'll be fine with the dual 2ghz and I'll add 2 gigs of ram. I got a 12 node 2.2Ghz openmosix cluster at disposal if I need the processing power :)

I'm perfectly happy with my 2.0ghz core duo, 2GB RAM. It's fast in photoshop and other things I do, even using rosetta. I can't wait till photoshop with universal binary.

One thing though, definitely get the biggest HDD you can afford. Mac OS X is like 15 gigs itself, then with a windows partition; your hdd space seems to just disappear.

bobsaget said:
One thing though, definitely get the biggest HDD you can afford. Mac OS X is like 15 gigs itself, then with a windows partition; your hdd space seems to just disappear.

You can trim that down quite a bit from what i undertand by not installing all of the extra junk you dont need. Language Packs, etc.

I plan on doing that with my new Macbook.

Cobreth said:
While I can believe it, I CAN'T believe "The Inquirer"

That story is total BS.

-Matt

They updated the article. now says:

Inquirer said:
CORRECTION 11 Sept 2006. We have learned from a bunch of sources that this is not the case, expect Merom based Macs this year. CD.

CEpeep said:

Me saving money isn't the issue, I just like the black finish better, none of those discoloration issues, and I just like it better. Plus it matches my free 4gig nano.

<3 my little black macbook. I think it was worth the premium, I bought it with no upgrades at all, so I'm going to Fry's today to check prices on 1gb ddr2 667 notebook so-dimm's.

(typing this from my living room on my little black macbook :p)

Yeah, and you trim off like an extra gig of what the OS X install would have taken up by not including all the extra language packs. Who cares if my computer can be fully displayed in turkish or not... come on...

I'm about to set up boot camp right now as well.

If you don't need a laptop right away I'd try to wait. Hopefully they will release the macbook with the core 2 duo soon. It's all up in the air though, so if you Reallly need one you might as well just order one.

So is it really worth another $400 to upgrade to 2gb of RAM with these, or do they run ok on 1gb?

Slartibartfast said:
So is it really worth another $400 to upgrade to 2gb of RAM with these, or do they run ok on 1gb?

Huh? You can get another 1GB of RAM for less than $100. If you're considering buying it from Apple, don't. Order the machine and then buy your RAM rom Newegg or something.

CEpeep said:
Huh? You can get another 1GB of RAM for less than $100. If you're considering buying it from Apple, don't. Order the machine and then buy your RAM rom Newegg or something.

I was under the impression that one should avoid non-apple or non-corsair ram. With my cousin's discount the 2gb from apple is about the same as 2gb from corsair.

Anyone heard anything about duo core 2s coming out anytime soon? pretty much only thing I am holding out for.

Slartibartfast said:
I was under the impression that one should avoid non-apple or non-corsair ram.

Why exactly? My MBP's been running fine with Patriot RAM. You can use whatever type of RAM you want. Apple just wants to charge users who are skittish about replacing their own RAM more money to do it for them.

Glow said:
Anyone heard anything about duo core 2s coming out anytime soon? pretty much only thing I am holding out for.

Of course we've all heard things about Core 2 Macbooks, but it's all just rumors. Until they're actually announced by Apple, that's all they'll ever be; rumors. Bottom line: if you need the machine now, buy it.

I pulled the trigger. So far I'm fine. If apple drops the price within 2 weeks I guess I can get a bit of a refund from the bookstore, that's what the guy said.

Optional87 said:
ed. I even have a full copy of win xp sp2 waiting and ready to install as well.

you have a fresh copy that never been used before? you bought one to just install on a mac?

I would wait until the 25th of september. Check out www.macrumors.com to read the story, but alot of people feel that either the day before or on Photokina this year, the C2D will be announced.

stunning said:
you have a fresh copy that never been used before? you bought one to just install on a mac?

Pfft, MSDN through school man, cost me *nothing*

I actually uninstalled bootcamp not because it didn't work well, but because i can't find a reason i'll ever use winxp on that laptop as is, plus 80gig's shared to two os's via partitions doesn't seem like enough to me.

xlr8yourmac reports:

" I work for an Apple reseller, and we've been having trouble getting new orders for MacBooks and MacBook Pros shipped. All of our pending orders got pushed back to a 9/19 ship date -- all of them. If I had to guess, I'd say we're going to be seeing updated laptops on Monday or Tuesday.

Hopefully this is true!

Back