Get a macbook now or wait a bit?

All signs point to yes, so don't. At least wait until the apple paris expo, Sept.12-16.

I am also waiting for the next rev macbookpro, and ya i think it'll come in in the next month or so...but i want it NOW!

wait.

then when the next revision / update comes out, wait some more, because something better is going to come a long.

then after that, you'll need to wait for revision B hardware.

Then when Rev B comes along, something new will inevitably be on the horizon.

Then there's the Super ultra macbook pro duo mega hyper version, coming in 2009.

See what I'm getting at?

Get it now if you need it.

Sure if you absolutely need it, go for it. But knowing that we're probably going to see merom macbooks in a few weeks why buy something that's going to instantly depreciate?

Lich said:
Sure if you absolutely need it, go for it. But knowing that we're probably going to see merom macbooks in a few weeks why buy something that's going to instantly depreciate?
Same reason people buy BMW's :)
Reason im waiting...is i dont need it...hell i dont really need any of my tech stuff i could do everything at work or at school and just have nothing in my room but my bed ....but ya know what?...i want it...and i can wait for the next rev so im going to.

well I am getting some loan for state employees through my credit union at 7% interest (hooray for finding options that people never use) so I got about 30 days of leeway.

Would it be the MacBook or the MacBook Pro that would get a revision first?

I'm finally thinking of upgrading my TiBook. :cool:

-Matt

sum ASM required said:
well I am getting some loan for state employees through my credit union at 7% interest (hooray for finding options that people never use) so I got about 30 days of leeway.

If you're not under a position to get a better deal (like the student discout) don't forget that Apple offers a state and federal employee discount I believe in most if not all states.

Cobreth said:
Would it be the MacBook or the MacBook Pro that would get a revision first?

I'm finally thinking of upgrading my TiBook. :cool:

-Matt
I'd guess the MBP....but id actually bet more on them getting upgraded at the same time.

I already get the student discount. I was surprised to find out about the loan thing and more suprised that I was eligible. Seeing most, if not all credit cards are at LEAST 12% (usually 18) the 8 sounded good to me. With the discount that puts me just about at the retail price, which I can handle.

I am getting the regular macbook though, not the pro. And since I am going cheap I figured I would double check before I have instant apple-induced buyers remorse.

he's the deal, apple makes money by comvincing people and investors that they are always inovating, and for the most part they are. Probably about every year there will be major processor/ everything updates. They wont ever drop the price, but they will upgrade. Just by when you know that you will be happy. I know that a dual core 2.0ghz processer is way more than i will ever need, so i went with it. and im happy. The only real consideration you should have is if you want to wait for the next OS, which you would have to but otherwise.

My advice, just go for it now, if you really needed the processor updates or more power then you would be looking for a MBP anyway.

fastfood15 said:
he's the deal, apple makes money by comvincing people and investors that they are always inovating, and for the most part they are. Probably about every year there will be major processor/ everything updates. They wont ever drop the price, but they will upgrade. Just by when you know that you will be happy. I know that a dual core 2.0ghz processer is way more than i will ever need, so i went with it. and im happy. The only real consideration you should have is if you want to wait for the next OS, which you would have to but otherwise.

My advice, just go for it now, if you really needed the processor updates or more power then you would be looking for a MBP anyway.
For the most part you are right.

However, I think this is a special case right now because
a) The update will likely come in the next few weeks, which isn't a long time to wait for an investment that will last you for several years. Now if an update was months away, I think I'd just bite the bullet as well
b) The new update is supposed to have a 64-bit processor, and with Leopard going the 64 bit route, it would be beneficial to wait for this reason as well.

That's just how I see it. I'm waiting until the 16th. If nothing's released, I'll just get a MBP and my free iPod. :)

-Matt

I actually heard on a podcast today that apple is not planning on doing a keynote speech at the expo in Paris, so if that is true, that probably means no updates to the laptops. As others haved said, if you need it now, get it now. Even if they release an upgrade to the current model, you'll still have a great machine that will serve you well for years.

methocl said:
I actually heard on a podcast today that apple is not planning on doing a keynote speech at the expo in Paris, so if that is true, that probably means no updates to the laptops. As others haved said, if you need it now, get it now. Even if they release an upgrade to the current model, you'll still have a great machine that will serve you well for years.
Macrumors.com said:
It was originally reported that Steve jobs will not deliver a Keynote at Apple Expo. He will indeed not be in Paris; but a Keynote will be organized in cupertino and relayed in London at Apple Europe HeadQuarter, where journalists have already been invited. There will are not relay organized at AppleExpo so far.

Link: http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060831122800.shtml

I am going to wait. The thing that I am concerned slightly about... do you think they will release it for the regular macbook and not just the pro?

Either way there will probably be some sort of improvement that's worth it in the macbook.

I saw a calendar that showed purchasing danger zones for apple products. It was brilliant; before I posted I looked for it and couldn't find it. I would definitely wait until September 12th in your case, although you can always wait for tech and be super frustrated: Kaos has point. Once you commit to buying, you have to let go of the obsessive.

So Sept 12th what is coming out exactly is there actually something new coming out or is this just rumors?

The only thing really 95% confirmed is movies are coming to iTunes (or whatever it may be renamed, since it's not really "Tunes" anymore). New iPods are most likely coming as well. Metal nanons are the current prediction. A 23" iMac rumor has surfaced and has some potential.

Intel Core 2 Duo chips in the notebooks and desktops are what most people are hoping for, but there really isn't much proof of anything happening. :(

-Matt

aren't the Intel Core 2 Duo's in the notebooks already?

nope, they're Core Duo's. Of course couldn't you just update your firmware to accept the Core 2 Duo as well?

New 24" imac this morning, plus an update to the Core Duo 2. I sure hope they update the Macbook Pro's too.

I say wait. Core 2 Duo will be here shortly, at least for the MacBook Pro's... if not the MacBooks as well

I'm hoping for the regular macbooks. If they put the merom in the 999 imac wouldn't they do the same for the $1100 macbook (non pro)?

on a side note, if I ordered like on the 15th and didn't open the box for a week or so, could I just return the macbook and get the new one if it came out, assuming it was within the 14 days...

fastfood15 said:
yeah i think they give you like a 13 day return for any reason at all policy.

Minus a 10% fee, and custom configurations are non-returnable. From apple.com:

RETURN & REFUND POLICY
If you are not satisfied with your Apple purchase of a product, please call 1-800-676-2775 for a Return Material Authorization (RMA) request within 14 calendar days of the receipt of the product. Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized product may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless DOA. If the item is returned unopened in the original box, we will exchange it or offer you a refund based on your original method of payment. The product must be returned to the Apple warehouse within 14 calendar days of the issuance of the RMA. All products must be packed in the original, unmarked packaging including any accessories, manuals, documentation and registration that shipped with the product. A 10% open box fee will be assessed on any opened hardware or accessory. If you purchased your order using an Apple Business Lease, you may be asked to provide a major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) for apple to assess the 10% open box restocking fee.

Please note that Apple does not permit the return of or offer refunds for the following products:

Product that is custom configured to your specifications
Opened memory
Opened software*
Electronic software downloads
Personalized iPods
Software Up to Date Program Products (SW upgrades)
Apple Gift Cards
*You may return software after rejecting the licensing terms, provided the software is not installed on a computer. However, software that contains a printed software license may not be returned if the seal or sticker on the software media packaging is broken.

I'm also interested in this - I'm looking to buy the 13" macbook for school. I want to use it to take notes, and eventually dual boot it with Vista. However, my main rig is x64, so if possible, I'd like to hold off in the hopes that Macbooks will get the x64 update.

Are their any rumors on this yet, or do I just have to wait out this month to see if they upgrade them? I'm not in an immediate rush to get one, so holding off is definately an option, and preferable if they're doing a big upgrade like moving from x86 to x64.

Cobreth said:
While I can believe it, I CAN'T believe "The Inquirer"

That story is total BS.

-Matt

People smack talk the INQ a lot, but it has been on the ball about a great many things recently, including the exceptionally shitty cell yeilds. I'd say at most the guy who writes it tends to spin a bit too much MS hate in, and is overly verbose, and people would rather just get straight news.

I've been watching the macbooks for a while, would like to pick one up by the end of the year, but the hardware issues seem somewhat prevalent still. I'm hoping they start a new revision of the hardware soon.

Slartibartfast said:
I've been watching the macbooks for a while, would like to pick one up by the end of the year, but the hardware issues seem somewhat prevalent still. I'm hoping they start a new revision of the hardware soon.

I was worried about the hardware problems...and I bought macbook about 2 weeks ago. So far I haven't had any problem and I love the thing. The latest firmware patch did away with the "mooing" that everyone was complaining about.....the random shutdown thing seems to be an issue with some people, but apple is replacing those machines no questions asked at the moment.

hungryduck said:
I was worried about the hardware problems...and I bought macbook about 2 weeks ago. So far I haven't had any problem and I love the thing. The latest firmware patch did away with the "mooing" that everyone was complaining about.....the random shutdown thing seems to be an issue with some people, but apple is replacing those machines no questions asked at the moment.

yeah...I happen to be one of those people :rolleyes: kind of sucks but what can I do...can't use it the way it is but at least there is a range of machines that they know about and are taking care of so that is good...now I just have to decide if I want to send mine back and get a totally new one or just send it in and have the MLB replaced...hhuummm

How is the power consumtion on the core 2s?
As far as now or later, its all about how much you need it.
As far as the upgrade, I would say yes, that chip is perfect for mobiles, the only thing I am not sure in again is power concumtion, if it is the same or lower than the core duo then update is on its way.

Well for me, I may be starting grad school come January, and if so I definitely want a laptop to take back and forth with me. I really want a mac because I want to learn how to use them (not going to let myself install XP). I don't want to buy a mac desktop because then there will be less reason for me to use it, and there's no room in my apt for one anyway. So I have some time to wait it out. If I don't get in to grad school though, then I def have time to wait.

Slartibartfast said:
Well for me, I may be starting grad school come January, and if so I definitely want a laptop to take back and forth with me. I really want a mac because I want to learn how to use them (not going to let myself install XP). I don't want to buy a mac desktop because then there will be less reason for me to use it, and there's no room in my apt for one anyway. So I have some time to wait it out. If I don't get in to grad school though, then I def have time to wait.

now the nice thing about the MacBook is you can run it in closed lid mode and hook to an external display, keyboard and mouse so you could use it like a desktop...havnen't tried games yet but was able to push 720i HD to a 21" display set at 1600x1200 and it ran just fine so you are getting the best of both worlds

gigglebyte said:
now the nice thing about the MacBook is you can run it in closed lid mode and hook to an external display, keyboard and mouse so you could use it like a desktop...havnen't tried games yet but was able to push 720i HD to a 21" display set at 1600x1200 and it ran just fine so you are getting the best of both worlds

That's pretty cool. I was planning on getting one of those mini video adapters for it just in case I ever wanted to use it on the big screen. I also imagine I will be paying for the 3 year warrantee. Fortunately, my cousin is the "Genius" or whatever at an apple store back home after doing 2 years on the phones in Austin, so a.) he can get me a discount, and b.) I know who to call when I have issues :cool:

Slartibartfast said:
That's pretty cool. I was planning on getting one of those mini video adapters for it just in case I ever wanted to use it on the big screen. I also imagine I will be paying for the 3 year warrantee. Fortunately, my cousin is the "Genius" or whatever at an apple store back home after doing 2 years on the phones in Austin, so a.) he can get me a discount, and b.) I know who to call when I have issues :cool:

I feel sorry for your cousin ;) cause I get those calls from a few friends as well as my father and sister (for their PCs) but yeah...get the AppleCare Protection Plan as it is a good piece of mind

Back