General Spyware

DevilMan

Gawd
I was not sure where I should post this so I figured here was the safest place.
Has anyone encountered a spyware app called CommonName it is a pain in the ass spyware that you will have a heck of a time getting rid of.

I got back to work today after a nice Christmas break and ran Adaware on the computers. One of them came up with CommonName so I just did the usual delete the files and move on. It deleted a bunch of Reg entries and a few folder (Bonzia Buddy, Clip Genie, N-case, and the commonname folder). So I fired up IE again and there it was. All the folders came back all the reg settings came back.

So I did some digging and found a couple sites that explain how to get rid of it but apparently the new version is even more elusive than the last since none of it worked. I could not even stop the process winnet.exe I would click on it to stop it but it would just restart.

I think I may have finally gotten rid of it using antivirus software, yeah it shows up as a trojan. I was wondering if anyone has come across this and if so what they did to get rid of it since the conventional methods seem to not work fo this pain in the arse piece of crap.

I think I may talk to the company attorney and see what can be done about these people. Making an app that installs when you do not want it and making it so you cannot even remotely get rid of it has to break some sort of law somewhere along the line.

Have you tried using Spybot Search and Destroy? How about Hijackthis. I personally have not encountered this Spyware tho. I got one Spyware that jacked up my IE soooo bad that I cannot even use it anymore. Is alright tho, Mozilla Firebird is the way to go for me.

Good luck with it,
Alex

Back