General noob motherboard questions for AMD Ryzen build

Geronemo3

Weaksauce
Hi,
So i am building a new PC after more than 10 yrs.

1) What is the function of the USB 2 and USB 3 headers on the MB, what things can be attached to them like AIO CPU water cooler etc.?

2) I am looking to build a Ryzen 7 1800x mATX form factor PC. If the motherboard and case have RGB Sync and I get RGB sync RAM (G.Skillz Trident Z RGB) and fans (Corsair LL Series) will I need the NXZT Hue+ so sync all the lighting?

3) Will the NZXT Kraken play well with RGB Sync or do I need to have NZXT Hue+ to control it?

Do u guys have any motherboard recommendations for Ryzen 7 1800x with RGB Sync?

Thanks

1) You attach your front panel connectors from your case to them if you want to use those, if you got spare ones you could attach some RGB thingie to it

2) I'm not sure all those will work together with one piece of soft/hardware. Most manufacturers try to only be compatible with their own stuff for Obvious reasons and it's not your happiness or comfort. Afaik the G.skill memory is an exeption to this.

On the other hand, why go with an 1800x? The 1700 and 1700x perform almost the same for less money and the new ones will be out in less then a fortnight which will perform better.

Those questions made me throw up in my mouth. No offense.

I'm not a fan of Skittles, but the nice thing (I'm reaching) about RGB is that you can at least get everything close to white.

My case, note that the blue is more due to color temp, this is an exceedingly poor cell phone shot:

IMG_20180316_064345.jpg

To the OP:

There are more 'RGB' standards than I can count. I do highly recommend that you get organized and determine what control system each component requires.

OP, pay attention to the mobo different RGB standards. With that said I would pick a mobo and build the rest from there.

ASUS has Aura Sync (https://www.asus.com/campaign/aura/us/index.html), you can sync everything that supports that standard.

Msi has Mystic Light (https://www.msi.com/news/detail/uJQ...L_XfCP6uHLLZ88KedQl0Edz6I_yH4xcLBsfFhLR8hyA~~), same as above...

So I would look at all manufactures and their standards and see which has the most support or support for the things you are interested in.

Also quick googlefu says that NZXT only works with NZXT and not other standards.

There a few motherboards but none of them you should run with a Ryzen 1800x :

Unless you are able to check what VRM solutions those motherboards are using and make sure there is adequate cooling on the VRM you are not going to have a working system for a long time.

Don't get me wrong it will boot but the system will not be able to run at 100% load for longer periods of time.

There a few motherboards but none of them you should run with a Ryzen 1800x :

Unless you are able to check what VRM solutions those motherboards are using and make sure there is adequate cooling on the VRM you are not going to have a working system for a long time.

Don't get me wrong it will boot but the system will not be able to run at 100% load for longer periods of time.

Are u suggesting not to use Ruzen 7 1800x with an mATX board?
This will definitely throw my plans off

Please elaborate.

Thanks

Are u suggesting not to use Ruzen 7 1800x with an mATX board?
This will definitely throw my plans off

Please elaborate.

Thanks

You have to do a lot more then plug and play. Most B350 based boards do not have good enough VRM to be able to supply enough power without damaging the motherboard long term.

You can see how complicated it can get and this is not a matx board: https://hardforum.com/threads/some-...pilation-loads.1936605/page-3#post-1043061471

Casual usage might work but I would not do anything with it beyond that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_regulator_module

So I'm not saying it is not going to work I'm saying that hardware wise it is a lot more work then plug and play and to be precise you can check each and every motherboard you have looked at the official cpu support for each motherboard , would be surprised if the 1800x would turn up ...

You have to do a lot more then plug and play. Most B350 based boards do not have good enough VRM to be able to supply enough power without damaging the motherboard long term.

You can see how complicated it can get and this is not a matx board: https://hardforum.com/threads/some-...pilation-loads.1936605/page-3#post-1043061471

Casual usage might work but I would not do anything with it beyond that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_regulator_module

So I'm not saying it is not going to work I'm saying that hardware wise it is a lot more work then plug and play and to be precise you can check each and every motherboard you have looked at the official cpu support for each motherboard , would be surprised if the 1800x would turn up ...

Thanks for the links.
Just finished reading the threads. Seems like the problem was with Ryzen chips on Linux under heavy compilation loads.
I will be using Windows and video editing is the only taxing thing for the CPU that I would be doing.
gaming won't be that taxing as Vega 64 will be taking the load. I am a light gamer.

Also will look into 1700x not the 1800x anymore.
Will be using Kraken X52 or similar cooler for CPU.

Do u suggest going for an ATX motherboard instead?
I don't want to water cool motherboard VRM.

Thanks

The atx motherboard would have less problems with 1800x (or overclocked 1700(x)) most X370 boards will do that well.
The usual guidelines applies:
Make sure the ram is QVL or google for motherboard + ram and verify problem free configuration.
The cooling needs to be for AM4 make sure that part is suited with or without the need for an extra bracket (included or free upgrade) .
Asus can have some quirks with water cooling.

1700-1700x-1800x are ALL the same core design just a bit of change in default/boost speed settings.
@ default out of the box settings 1800x is the fastest, but, there is no need for 1800x when the 1700-1700x are able to basically match an 1800x in regards to clock speeds (if you take the time/research)
not to mention 1700 comes with a pretty decent heatsink in the box whereas the 1700x-1800x do not (if this matters to you)

I believe the individual who stated not to get 1800x is because there are other options that can "match" the performance at a lower potential cost (usually is always this way, top shelf part pay top price dollar)
I also think he had a very valid point in that very very soon the "new" Ryzen 12nm chips are out it might be worthwhile to wait the 10 days or so because they will be being released so maybe you get an even better price etc.

if you are really into heavy workloads than Threadripper likely is the better option, more costly of course but more cores/threads if your program can use them.

most full size ATX have better VRM, better heatsinks, better power circuitry with rare exception..MSI B350 gaming pro carbon is near identical to their x370 version (and lower cost)

usually this is how it works, the lower on the totem pole (cost) the lower the "quality" of what is offered,
for AM4 that is A320-B350-X370
multi-gpu usage you want/need X370 (some specific B350 allow multi-gpu but is not a guarantee of it)
for overclocking ability X370 or B350 based (X370 tend to be more robust design in doing so of course)
if all you want is a more "basic" motherboard with ability to run Ryzen A320 is "fine"

do your research.

there are many many options out there for socket AM4 take your time, do your research, if RGB is very important to you this takes much more research to make sure it all works well together because the different motherboards, RAM, coolers etc all have their own quirks/problems.

I think an ATX specific motherboard is not "required" for AM4, however, they do tend to use better cooling on the VRM or at the very least have a more robust power delivery to feed the cpu-ram etc than the mATX or whatever (usually more room around the motherboard as well)

good luck ^.^

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
Yes from what everyone has told me it's better to go ATX than mATX for better VRM, cooling, heatsinks, overclocking.

Things have changed since I asked the question, ending up buying the following:

Asus ROG Strix X470-F
Ryzen 7 2700x

Was able to get some recent deals which helped.

Now waiting for rest of components so I can build :)

Back