General internet problems... Fault of Marvell LAN controller?

Mojo

[H]ard|Gawd
I have been having several minor internet troubles. I'll briefly go over them.

1. Programs like BitTorrent, Ares and sometimes Limewire often freeze my internet connection, and sometimes the rest of my computer.
2. The new MSN Messenger 7.0 sometimes lags when someone send me a message, and their window pops up.
3. Sometimes during CS:S my "in" value on net graph 3 will freeze, and my game will freeze for anywhere from like 2-30 seconds. Sometimes it goes back into the game, sometimes it screws everything up makign the game unplayable. (note: my pings always rise to around like 300-400ms from 70-80ms when this happens).
4. Intermittently, my Internet Explorer windows will just lag for like 30 seconds - 5 minutes for no apparent reason. It's as if my internet cable gets pulled for a period of time, but it doesn't actually.

I'm sure there are other instance I forgot to document, but those are four that I can remember off the top of my head. I'm wondering, why is it doing this? I have 4mbps down/1mbps up Cable modem, an Asus K8V motherboard with a Marvell Lan controller, and my connection is split using a Linksys BESFR41 4 port router. Can anyone help me sort out these errors? Help! This is driving me nuts!

First step would be to unload / reload the drivers for the ethernet controller. What's your CPU usage look like when the system lags? Could it be spyware / virus activity....??

You could also try a network card in a PCI slot to see if the issue goes away...??

Luck - B.B.S.

From the command line, run netstat -a, that will tell you if your ports are tied up by unwanted connections

Back