Gemcraft Chapter 0: preventing the loss of save games

evilsofa

[H]F Junkie
I've been fairly well obsessed with Gemcraft Chapter 0 lately. I'm playing the Armor Games version 1.2A on Firefox 3.6.10 with the latest Flash player on Windows 7 64bit. I have found that save games have a nasty habit of getting lost.

One of the first things I found is that the default settings for CCleaner appears to wipe Gemcraft 0 save games! Open CCleaner, and in the Cleaner section, click the Applications Tab, and you'll find under Multimedia a check box for Adobe Flash Player. I think enabling this will wipe Gemcraft Chapter 0 save games. But I am not 100% sure that this is the cause (see below).

Having disabled that, I also started keeping a backup of the folder which contains the save games.
Under Windows 7 and Vista, that is:
C:\Users\username\Appdata\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\
Under WinXP, that is:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\

Within the Flash Player folder are the folders #SharedObjects and macromedia.com, and in the #SharedObjects folder is a folder named with a string of eight capital letters. I was unsure how much I needed to back up, so I made shortcuts to the Macromedia folder and my backup folder, and do the backup by copying the entire Flash Player folder to my backup folder.

I'm glad I did this, because after hitting level 54, my save game suddenly disappeared again, even after copying the backup Flash Player folder back to the Macromedia folder!

Upon further investigation, I found that in my backup's #SharedObjects folder, there was one folder titled MME82GKD, while in the original's #SharedObjects folder, there were two folders - the MME82GKD folder and a new folder titled BEFEDJSR. The save game data appeared to still be in the MME82GKD folder but not in the new BEFEDJSR folder, so I copied everything within MME82GKD into MEFEDJSR, and my save game was restored when I next played the game. I guess the site decided for unknown reasons that I was a new player in a new location and created a new save game folder, and there appears to be no way to tell the game to go back to the old save game folder, but just copying it over works.

I am now, on top of saving the entire Flash Player folder, also copying to a text file the text that the game gives you in the Save Game panel that allows you to transfer your saved game to another computer.

Back