GeForce GTX780 Ti Unveiled

Going back to the Ti designator, now? Along with the "Titan" series?

Is "Ti" 2/5ths the power of a "Titan"?

Behold! The EVGA 780 GTX Superclocked reference design v2.0. Same card just a little more overclocked.

When does the 780 GTS 64 come out?

Maybe an Asus Monster 3D or Banshee?

So this is why AMD has been delaying their 290(x) card performance metrics...

Meh, skipping this whole gen unless the card is priced right. I'm also making an assumption that I'll be getting in to their next gen by March or April next year. The way the games are now, 2x680's on 2560x1600 should hold over till then.

Won't be buying another gfx card until they move to 22nm, tired of see re-runs of 28nm over and over. 780Ti only shows NV was holding back until R290X was pushed out, so all the poor 780 people get screwed over. Won't be too pleased if I'd just bought a pari of 780s

Going back to the Ti designator, now? Along with the "Titan" series?

Is "Ti" 2/5ths the power of a "Titan"?
Personally I am waiting for the the version that is 3/5ths the power of the Titan, the GTX780Tit which I will SLI for GTX780Tits...

Glad I held off buying a pair of 780's. This would have rustled my jimmies.

Won't be buying another gfx card until they move to 22nm, tired of see re-runs of 28nm over and over. 780Ti only shows NV was holding back until R290X was pushed out, so all the poor 780 people get screwed over. Won't be too pleased if I'd just bought a pari of 780s

Well duh NV's been holding back. That's been the case for the past several years at least reading between the lines every time someone like Anand dove down into their architecture.

That's the main reason why all this AMD Mantle news is compelling - not for AMD's hot vapor and promises but putting a fire under NVIDIA to start rolling out the power monsters.

course at least AMD is attempting something that holds a lot of promise that could eventually be seen by many and not just their customers, Nvidia however, every single time they bring anything out they lock it right down, even if they would not get the most out of it, nothing like treating your customers right by punishing them for using anything but your stuff, even when it does not operate at peak because forbid if anyone especially AMD could should Nvidia how to get the most out of their own prop BS, like say PhysX, or even DX10/11/11.1, manufacturing (thank AMD for GDDR3-4-5 and non lead solder for gpu, oh yeh and 45nm and such)

Anyways, its sad, throw wrenches at one side but not ever say even the smallest bit of anger at the other who if anything goes out of their way to NOT do anything even when its a has to be done type thing. Honestly beyond drivers, Nvidia has as much if not way worse history then ATi/AMD ever has, something about doing the minimum possible and charging top dollar speaks a lot on how deep they want to shaft people, and hey, the vast majority do.

Anyways, yeh, this was bound to happen, not that they really needed to do this at all, there was good brackets for both sides, they truly do not need a gpu every $30 price point or so LOL.

On another note, this is a back and forth click, it leads no where just a damn picture :p

course at least AMD is attempting something that holds a lot of promise that could eventually be seen by many and not just their customers, Nvidia however, every single time they bring anything out they lock it right down, even if they would not get the most out of it, nothing like treating your customers right by punishing them for using anything but your stuff, e

You do know that AMD's mantle only works on their GCN architecture. So it's as bad as what you are describing.

Well this little bit of news takes the wind out of my 780 SLi a bit.

Pretty much seals the deal for me. I was on the fence about a couple of 290X cards.
If they are anywhere as good as I've seen, then I'm in for two and NVidia can eat it.:eek:

I'm getting tired of these kind of stunts, although as usually happens I'll buy the AMD products and the drivers will suck for a year.

Pretty much seals the deal for me. I was on the fence about a couple of 290X cards.
If they are anywhere as good as I've seen, then I'm in for two and NVidia can eat it.:eek:

I'm getting tired of these kind of stunts, although as usually happens I'll buy the AMD products and the drivers will suck for a year.

Well thats a glass half empty way of looking at it. 780's have been out for a while, and you kinda have to expect technology to keep marching on and new products to come out. Best thing is buy the best thing you can afford then skip a generation before upgrading again.

Apparently releasing new products to remain competitive is a "stunt" in your view.

You know what happened after I bought my Nehalem processor? Intel released Sandy Bridge.
Guess what happened after I bought my Galaxy S? Samsung released the S2.

This is how technology works, no? You're guaranteed something better is right around the corner. I'm not sure why you're blaming NVIDIA for your psychological hang-up... which is that, for whatever reason, you feel the need to always have the currently fastest available GPU setup. Well, hey, the way this industry works, that necessarily entails you buying new GPUs every 2-3 mos.

If you have a pair of 780s in SLI and were simultaneously sane, you wouldn't be considering an upgrade for at least 2-3 years.

JMO.

Apparently releasing new products to remain competitive is a "stunt" in your view.

You know what happened after I bought my Nehalem processor? Intel released Sandy Bridge.

This is how technology works, no? You're guaranteed something better is right around the corner. I'm not sure why you're blaming NVIDIA for your psychological hang-up... which is that, for whatever reason, you feel the need to always have the currently fastest available GPU setup. Well, hey, the way this industry works, that necessarily entails you buying new GPUs every 2-3 mos.

If you have a pair of 780s in SLI and were simultaneously sane, you wouldn't be considering an upgrade for at least 2-3 years.

JMO.

At least hold off 6 months for Maxwell. :p

I don't see how what Nvidia is doing is any different from when AMD released the 7970 GHZ editions.....:confused:

JMO.

I could not agree more.

I always have to laugh about video card names. especially from the nvidia resellers. Reminds me so much of the street fighter series names hahaha.

Geforce GTX780 TI Super Mega Alpha Turbo Maximum Supreme Edition

yep, they also did state "for now" it will be open standard however they cannot test everyone elses things to make sure it runs well, at least going directly from their words and their public released info, Mantle will be originally part of Frostbite used specifically for BF4 and coded into the engine so it is "native" and so any game that uses it "frostbite 3" can have access to Mantle. AMD is making Mantle fully supported on GCN for now however they will make it an open standard so any maker that wants to take cues from their design basis can in theory apply it it any gpu or maybe even cpu designs going forward. Seeing as Mantle like OpenGL/OpenCL is going to be fully available on Linux it only makes sense that it be open.

Anyways what they "AMD" are stating is it will be open in the aspect that any maker can take cures of how it will interface with their hardware on a low level so from their side of it (GCN, FX, APU and so forth) it will obviously give the most benefit and this will be the only "supported" way of doing it, they stated straight forward that anyone (I assume they meant Nvidia) can make it compatible with their designs as well, though I am quite certain there will be "magic" in there to make it only viable when in combo with AMD CPU and GPU in tandem.

I guess point that I was making or at least trying to, they are not saying it will not be compatible with anything BUT GCN period, they just stated with "supported" GCN and APU products, I highly doubt they will waste their time and $/staff on putting hardlocks in the code to make it like NV did with PhysX as example that if it detects say Geforce it will prevent it and waste performance calls by trying to use Mantle so again, IMHO I do not think this is anything nearly as bad and will probably benefit more then just GCN users going forward.

PS, there is also talk on AMD making specialized calls that can force every single core every single thread to work on one task in a quick fire succession so yeh, Mantle is a start to something huge, even if it will take awhile to mature and even if its only in the hardware and not a direct user toggled API.

but Radeon GHZ edition are only higher clocked not more shaders/rops/tmu wider bus and so forth like many Ti are, great for Nvidia if they could have released this instead or whatever they could better service their consumers but nope, nickel and dime they took a page right out of the Intel/MS book. I still give them creds for the 600 and 700 series though, very nice design and well thought features however they are as corrupt as any government or private company could pray for which is very sad, it will eat them in the end.

yep, they also did state "for now" it will be open standard however they cannot test everyone elses things to make sure it runs well, at least going directly from their words and their public released info, Mantle will be originally part of Frostbite used specifically for BF4 and coded into the engine so it is "native" and so any game that uses it "frostbite 3" can have access to Mantle. AMD is making Mantle fully supported on GCN for now however they will make it an open standard so any maker that wants to take cues from their design basis can in theory apply it it any gpu or maybe even cpu designs going forward. Seeing as Mantle like OpenGL/OpenCL is going to be fully available on Linux it only makes sense that it be open.

Anyways what they "AMD" are stating is it will be open in the aspect that any maker can take cures of how it will interface with their hardware on a low level so from their side of it (GCN, FX, APU and so forth) it will obviously give the most benefit and this will be the only "supported" way of doing it, they stated straight forward that anyone (I assume they meant Nvidia) can make it compatible with their designs as well, though I am quite certain there will be "magic" in there to make it only viable when in combo with AMD CPU and GPU in tandem.

Did you actually read that somewhere (and if so, where?) or is that a lot of your own assumptions based on "in an ideal world" conjecture?

I guess point that I was making or at least trying to, they are not saying it will not be compatible with anything BUT GCN period, they just stated with "supported" GCN and APU products, I highly doubt they will waste their time and $/staff on putting hardlocks in the code to make it like NV did with PhysX as example that if it detects say Geforce it will prevent it and waste performance calls by trying to use Mantle so again, IMHO I do not think this is anything nearly as bad and will probably benefit more then just GCN users going forward.

PS, there is also talk on AMD making specialized calls that can force every single core every single thread to work on one task in a quick fire succession so yeh, Mantle is a start to something huge, even if it will take awhile to mature and even if its only in the hardware and not a direct user toggled API.

AMD just made a blog post two days ago stating emphatically that Mantle is inseparably tied to the GCN architecture.

I haven't seen even a hint that this will be available for Linux, either.

Considering that I'm fine gaming at 1200p fullscreen or in a 1050p window for the moment, my SLIed 560/448s will be satisfactory for at least another 6-9 months.

I was hoping for a 760 or 770 Ti, but this will do.
Guess I'll pick up one of these instead of a Titan for Christmas! :)

Well this little bit of news takes the wind out of my 780 SLi a bit. I'm getting tired of these kind of stunts, although as usually happens I'll buy the AMD products and the drivers will suck for a year.

Well thats a glass half empty way of looking at it. 780's have been out for a while, and you kinda have to expect technology to keep marching on and new products to come out. Best thing is buy the best thing you can afford then skip a generation before upgrading again.

Best advice I can give. When you do decide to buy in to a tech, any new tech, buy it as close to release as possible. Enjoy the benefits you get as long as possible. Look to sell later down the line. That's kind of what I did with the 2 680's I have. Yes, I paid almost $1,000 at the time, but I've been using them for a year+ with great results. Skipped the 780 line altogether. Will buy the 22nm die shrink that Nvidia comes up with as soon as I can. This TI stunt is nothing more than Nvidia trying to counter AMD's next gen chip. And if I were looking at AMD, I'd get the 290x as close to release as possible. Same with CPU's. Got the 4770k as fast as I could, coming from Nelaham, major step up. Now, Broadwell seems to have been bumped to Q1 2014. But still reaping the benefits now. Sure, tech will always march forward. I say, try to get the best next gen available today as quick as possible then hold until a worthy upgrade. Sell the last gen parts you've got to help in cost for the new/next gen.

Back