GeForce 6800 and CPU Limits

Zok

Limp Gawd
I currently have a Dual 2.0 GHz XEON (with HT) system and I am considering an upgrade to my GeForce 4 ti 4400. I, obviously, know that in non-SMP applications such as games the second processor cannot be used, essentially limiting me to 2.0 GHz. I've heard various reports that suggest, but not difinitively, that below 2.4 GHz a GeForce 6800 nu should be considered, 2.4 GHz - 3.0 GHz for 6800 GT, and 3.0 GHz + for 6800 Ultra. Is this information correct? And if so, are there 256 MB variations of the 6800 nu?

On the box for my GT it says a 2.0ghz or higher processor is recommended.

Thank you. Anyone know the minimum requirement for the nu? And possibly the answer to my second question?

Zok said:
I currently have a Dual 2.0 GHz XEON (with HT) system and I am considering an upgrade to my GeForce 4 ti 4400. I, obviously, know that in non-SMP applications such as games the second processor cannot be used, essentially limiting me to 2.0 GHz. I've heard various reports that suggest, but not difinitively, that below 2.4 GHz a GeForce 6800 nu should be considered, 2.4 GHz - 3.0 GHz for 6800 GT, and 3.0 GHz + for 6800 Ultra. Is this information correct?

I'd say you'd still benefit from the GT when you use high res/high AA/high AF levels. Or Doom3 :)

And if so, are there 256 MB variations of the 6800 nu?

Jaton might be making one.

Just checked their website and found nothing on any 6 series card there. Could you please point me to somewhere where one is possibly offered?

Zok said:
Just checked their website and found nothing on any 6 series card there. Could you please point me to somewhere where one is possibly offered?
Are you looking for a non-ultra? Evga has them for $299 in stock with free Far Cry. www.evga.com Just about everyone seems to be out of the GT's until at least next week..

Okay, here's the minimum system requirements straight off my GT box:
2ghz or above P4 or Athlon cpu
256mb ram
350 watt or greater power supply (400w recommended)
agp 2.0 or higher compliant motherboard
1 power connector that is connected to nothing else

Thanks, looks like i spring the extra $100 for the GT. Thanks for everyone for all your help.

Keep in mind what I listed is the "minimum". My system is well above minimum except for my 350w Antec power supply but I haven't had any issues.

Back