Geezz... I just don't know.. headphones

Nye553

Gawd
I'm going to buy some new headphones.... right now... I'm using these: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005N6KF/ref=nosim/shophub39-20/002-4579388-4485608

They're comfortable... I can wear these for hours. umm... I guess they probably don't have the best sound quality since I got them for like 20 bucks.

I like listening to music... playing video games on a console and the computer. I also use them for the TV when I "have to"

I was thinking about getting a pair of sennheiser HD555 but now I'm reading some threads about how everyone uses an amp? I don't have an amp.

I'm sure the sennheiser HD555 sound quality is a lot better than my Sony MDR CD180's. Or at least I would think they would.

I might just go with the Sennheiser HD555's probably because they will suit my low standards of headphones. I'm mostly looking for comfort and better quality than my MDR's.

Triport vs Sen HD555?
Sen HD555 vs HD595?
Sony MDR CD180 vs Sen HD555?

So I'm asking for people with experience with Sennheiser headphones or other good quality headphones to make any suggestions or comments. I got about 150$ to spend... if I sell my left arm.
Any suggestions would be great before I go out and waste my money on headphones that I shouldn't have gotten :) Thanks..

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The HD555 are fairly easy to drive and would sound lightyears better than your Sonys. Now, that's not saying that they wouldnt sound better amped, but straight from the source should do fine. Keep in mind that the HD555 are open, meaning that some of the sound goes out of the earpieces. If you're looking to prevent any noise from going outside, a pair of closed headpohnes like the HD280s would work well. The HD280s are also easily driveable.

I love my recomnded purchase form mister x of a pair of Senn HD280 PRos.

But I noticed a HUGE improvement even with my dodgy hearing when I later on got one of his smaller amps.

He also did me a great deal with cheap shipping to the UK.

Ill never look back.

I'm not really a fan of the 280pros for the money (100$us).

If your willing to spend 150$ now, I recommend you wait a while, save up, and when you end up with about 200$, then get one for 200$. At around 200$us you start to get into very good headphones, while the 100-150$ can be a bit iffy.

For comfort, I will stear you directly into the Sennheiser HD590(595) line. They can be used in the computer without having to crank up the volume. I know from experience that my HD590's were open, and more relaxed sounded then others. I liked the highs and mids quite well. The cord is cheap though, I already replaced it once. Also, with the HD590, the "metal" grates on the outside of the headphones started to come loose and would vibrate at certain frequencys. Not cool.

I have recently purchased the Beyerdynamic DT990pro (600ohm version) and they have about the same mid and high sound as the HD590, but the bass is much better! Very punchy if need be in the recording. They are made with better quality for sure, with metal holding onto the earpads and the same soft velvet stuff that's on the HD590's. They sit a bit closer to the ear, and do not have the same relaxed sound as the 590's which is a welcome trait to me as they liven up the music quite a bit!
They retail for about 200$us, and can sometimes be found on sale for about 170$us.
I got mine at a professional audio shop for 130$ new in box, but like I said before they are the older version (600ohm, not 250). The box looks ancient. Note: the 990's have more clamping force then the 590's. This means you will know they are on your head, but it really won't hurt your head. The hd280's have even more clamping force then the 990's, and I start to get head akes when wearing them for any lenght of time (20min+)
Edit: Please note though, that at least mine (600ohm version) have a hard time with being driven by the computer, and could very well need an external amp. I do not have a dedicated headphone amp, but use a denon receiver and im very happy.

If you need closed, they also offer a closed version called the DT770pro.

So, like I said, looking back at headphones like the Sennheiser HD280, I would save up, no matter how long it took and just get a little better. The sonic diffrence is amazing! They will rival speakers all the way up to 850$ a pair and even above.

DT770pro
DT990pro
For 170$us, you just can't beat it from what I've seen especially when comfort is important.

~Hope this helps, and i'de be interested in what you decide to do.

When you guys say amped do you mean a proper headphone driver rather than a std stereo headphone out/line level out?

Proper headphone amp, not just from a receiver's headphone out.

Look here:

Headamp.com
Headphone.com
SinglePower.com
wooaudio.com

So many more.... and MisterX here build some too.

StoneNewt said:
When you guys say amped do you mean a proper headphone driver rather than a std stereo headphone out/line level out?
No, when I say amped, I mean anything that amplifies the signal..................

I call a headphone amp a "Dedicated amplifier". Or headphone amp.

Then again, this is just my tradition. :D

towert7 said:
No, when I say amped, I mean anything that amplifies the signal..................

I call a headphone amp a "Dedicated amplifier". Or headphone amp.

Then again, this is just my tradition. :D

So something simlar to a 48 ohm 'headphone driver' in a sound desk, I'm using a lowish end mixer desk here.

I have a pair of HD280s with a cmoy amp. I'm no audiophile, but the sound, to me, is amazing.

Got my amp at Shellbrooklabs dot com, the super mini moy. good stuff. :D

I think I'm probably going to go with one of the 500 series. Probably the HD555's unless someone has something good to say about the HD515 but I heard that they weren't very good in some reviews. I'm also going to look into buying an amp. Maybe a Mini Moy Headphone amp... that's all I can find. Thanks for the comments.

Nye553 said:
I think I'm probably going to go with one of the 500 series. Probably the HD555's unless someone has something good to say about the HD515 but I heard that they weren't very good in some reviews. I'm also going to look into buying an amp. Maybe a Mini Moy Headphone amp... that's all I can find. Thanks for the comments.
Have you even gone to your local audio store and compared headphones?

Like I said in another post, having looked back, I would consider it foolish to to get HD555's when better audio quality can be had for just a "few" bucks more.

Just looked at the price of the amp, 125$. You know, I like to make comparisons, and I think I have just the one.

Its like putting 2000$ worth of wheels on a 1989 honda civic hatchback. No matther how good the wheels are, its still a cheap honda civic.

Well, in the end its your choice, but if it were me, I would not buy a headphone without listening to it.
But, then again, if you have heard the HD280pro's and think its the best thing since chocolate covered raisins, get them.

~Hope this helps

I would take your advise in going out and trying headphones out.. but no one carries sennheiser headphones... the best headphones I've tried were the Triport headphones but the sound wasn't hooked up... and still isn't but they were the most comfortable. But I'm still leaning towards the Sennheisers orr mabye Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro's.

A better analogy would be say taking the '89 civic and tricking it out with pro-quality suspension but leaving the break & engine stock. Though it's a bit better as the engine & breaks aren't capable of letting the chassis shine the actual improvement is minimised.

Nye553; try a musicians shop, one that speclises in studio work.

keep in mind that I've been using these MDR-CD180's for the past 2 years... I'm mostly looking for Comfort and Style because i bet any headphones would sound better than what I have now.

By the way... I'm not a car person haha... I don't know what these cars look like.

towert7 said:
Have you even gone to your local audio store and compared headphones?

Like I said in another post, having looked back, I would consider it foolish to to get HD555's when better audio quality can be had for just a "few" bucks more.

Just looked at the price of the amp, 125$. You know, I like to make comparisons, and I think I have just the one.

Its like putting 2000$ worth of wheels on a 1989 honda civic hatchback. No matther how good the wheels are, its still a cheap honda civic.

Well, in the end its your choice, but if it were me, I would not buy a headphone without listening to it.
But, then again, if you have heard the HD280pro's and think its the best thing since chocolate covered raisins, get them.

~Hope this helps

For some people, going to the local audio store to compare headphones is not an option. Sometimes the only choice is to get as much info as you can from reviews online.

Not sure what you mean exactly by your comparison, but if you're trying to say the amp is too much for the cans, I'd have to disagree to an extent. The amp will be a good long term investment if he ever decides to invest more into his headphones. The improvement in sound quality is worth it IMO, but then the next question is, what is the rest of your rig like?

I have actually owned those Sony's that you linked in the first post. For me, I thought they were really uncomfortable. After a certain period, the headback would just press against the top of my head too much and I had to take a break. The sound ain't all that great either. I remember comparing them to a pair of Grado SR-60s, if you could even call it a comparison.

If the HD595's are as similar to the HD555's as some people say, I think it would be a nice all-around can that you seem to be looking for. You seem to be set on them, but for $150, there are some other good options too, especially if you are considering investing in an amp later.

Okay then it's like putting a nVidia 7800 GTX in a P-III 450 with 128MB ram. About the only thing you can say is that the graphics performance isn't graphics card limited.

StoneNewt said:
Okay then it's like putting a nVidia 7800 GTX in a P-III 450 with 128MB ram. About the only thing you can say is that the graphics performance isn't graphics card limited.
Yea, that's a great one also!

well right now... I can get the sennheiser HD555 for about 120$. The only big name headphones I've looked into are Sennheiser and Sony. I don't really know where else to look, brand wise, for comfortable/stylish/good sounding headphones.

Audio-Technica makes some good cans. Check them out at www.audiocubes.com. Pretty comfortable too (the A500/700/900).. AKG is also another popular brand in the headphone world, but I've only listened to one (K501) and don't have much experience with the others to say much.

Will my ears fit inside the headphones in the sennheiser 280's? They're not the most stylish headphones... the AUDIO-TECHNICA AT ATH-A700 look pretty sweet.

Nye553 said:
Will my ears fit inside the headphones in the sennheiser 280's?

Definatly. Closed cans have quite large earpads to ensure that there is less noise leakage and more isolation.

Nye553 said:
Will my ears fit inside the headphones in the sennheiser 280's? They're not the most stylish headphones... the AUDIO-TECHNICA AT ATH-A700 look pretty sweet.
Yes, and we all know good looks directly correlate into good sound ;)

You said no stores around you carry them.............. by "stores" what did you mean? Do you mean the local best buy and circuitcity? Because that's not the place to look.

Ask the stores which sell 1000$ speakers if they carry these headphones. That's more in the league of the type of headphones.

Hm, im starting to get the impression that my previous posts just go unnoticed. The hd280pro are very big, your ears should fit in them with no problem. They have a clamping force which is relativly strong, and are thus not "comfortable" for extended use to me.

Grado and AKG are no where near as comfrotable as the beyer's and the sennheiser's in my book.

Well anyway, I kind of see where you are heading, so my efforts from now on will be in vain.

When you do make a choice, I'de like to know what you decide with, and don't feel rushed to purchase. Again, strive to find a professional audio shop, even if its 40miles away and see what they have and recommend.

~Hope this helps, and keep us posted.

As an extension: Bose shops *DO NOT* count as professional audio shops.

I would suggest steering clear of the Bose or Audio Technica headphones. The Bose just suck and the Audio Technicas are more nice looking than nice sounding IMO.

Keeping things under $100 USD:

Open Circumaural - AKG K240 Studio [~$100 new, $60 used]
Open Supraaural - Grado SR60 [~70 new, rescreen/recable/pop off the 'buttons' and they sound nearly as good as the SR225's]
Closed Circumaural - Sennheiser HD201 [amazing value at $20 new]
Closed Supraaural - AKG K26P [these sound very nice and are comfy for a supraaural headphone, ~$50 new]

My two top picks here would be the K240S' if you want the best sound and the HD201's if you need closed headphones. ;)

EDIT: All the headphones I listed are fine without an amp, but any headphone will improve with one. I would suggest buying a PIMETA or dynalo sometime down the line to really get all you can out of them. The moderator here, misterx, does very nice work. :cool:

towert7 said:
Yes, and we all know good looks directly correlate into good sound ;)

Just saying those look pretty cool. I didn't say anything about them sounding good, just that they look cool.

Maybe I'll just buy some HD280's... my current headphones are going to be hitting the dust soon. At this point I'm sure anything would be better than my sonys. Comfort is numero uno then sound then style... so these will probably be pretty good..

towert7 said:
Hm, im starting to get the impression that my previous posts just go unnoticed. The hd280pro are very big, your ears should fit in them with no problem. They have a clamping force which is relativly strong, and are thus not "comfortable" for extended use to me.

how long is long for extended use?

Nye553 said:
how long is long for extended use?
Over 20 minutes the HD280pro's start to give me a headake (I think more from the headphones, and not the sound because I don't listen to them loud.

If comfort is very important to you, a headphone with that soft velvet stuff on the ear pads, and open will be the best. Open headphones don't have the "Swamp effect" that some smaller closed headphones have (this is where the inside of your ears get really hot and itchey).

Dollar for Dollar, the DT990pro for 170$ is the best sound there is between the few listed. The HD590 (can't speak for the 595) is a little lighter, with less clapming force, and you honestly don't even know you are wearing them. The sound is more open, and less lively (more relaxed). On a side note, the HD590's were able to be driven by my computer at around 25% volume, and the DT990pro's (600ohm) needed to be cranked up to about 70%. Although, they now make a 250Ohm version which may be much closer to the HD590 in how easy it is to drive them.

Again, this is just my opinion.

Oh, I sent you a PM. The HD595 have diffrent grill shapes, so they "may" have addressed the vibrating grill problem of the HD590.

I just looked on www.bhphoto.com and noticed that the HD555 are 150$us. That's 20 less then that BeyerDynamic DT990pro.... and for 20$ the audio quality is worth it. Not to mention the build quality. They feel very sturdy.

I can wear my DT990pro's for hours, although you do know its on your head. I get no discomfort. The HD590's were so light and with so little clamping pressure, they just did'nt seem to be on my head.

I would Really consider the HD555, HD595, and DT990pro

~Hope this helps

That helps a lot... I might be leaning towards the HD595's now... I can get them on eBay for around 170$. I will probably be using them for my computer more than anything else. I don't want to jack up the volume 70% and then forget about it, then have it blasting when I forget I have the sound jacked up.

maybe I can get both the HD595's and the DT990pro if this deal goes through :)... wouldn't that be something

If comfort is that important to you, I think the AKG K240 Studio are the best way to go if you are spending under $100 USD. They are easilty as comfortable as the HD570 [which are nearly identical in design to the HD590]. They have pleather pads though, which is both a blessing and a curse. If you have nice temperatures in your house, the way pleather fits is much preferable IMO. If you don't have AC, they can get hot and you will sweat more than in headphones with velour earpads... however if you sweat with the velour pads [senns & beyers] they will soak it up and eventually get pretty gross, while it just drips off with the pleather. So its a tradeoff.

If you want to spend more money in the $200 range, I think that it would be hard to beat a pair of HD580's and a basic amp... though I have heard that the HD595's sound good and are easy to drive [no personal experience with these though]. I would stay away from the HD570/HD590 as they arent really in the same class. If you want a great closed headphone, the AKG K271 Studio can be had for ~$150 USD, and while they improve significantly with an amp, it is not essential. ;)

I'm seeing that a lot of people have personal amps for their headphones. I've never heard of this until now. I guess i'm just not as "hardcore"(if you will). Do I really need to get an amp?? If this is a must have I might as well get one. THose mint amps look neat-o. :)

It's not a must have with certain headphones, that's for sure. If the headphones are easy to drive (which usually means a low resistance in ohms), then its more just exotic. If on the other hand you are using a headphone with a higher resistance, then the amp starts to come into play. The HD280pro and the DT990pro seem to benifite from an external amp, although in the 3 years Ive had the HD590's, it just did'nt seem to make a diffrence. Maybe my ears are not that attuned.

Some amps Ive heard will make the audio better alltogether, while some will do major colorations the music.

My HD590's were rated at 120ohms, and the newer HD595's are rated at 50ohms.................................. So perhaps the HD595's are even eaiser to drive.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/mat_dev/DL/DLSelection.asp This website will list any places around you that sell Sennheiser headphones. I would put in your location and see if anything near you turns up.

Nye553 said:
I'm seeing that a lot of people have personal amps for their headphones. I've never heard of this until now. I guess i'm just not as "hardcore"(if you will). Do I really need to get an amp?? If this is a must have I might as well get one. Those mint amps look neat-o.
You can see some pictures of my setup in the 'Show me your headphones' thread.

Like I said, amps arent always needed depending on the headphones, but they always make a positive improvement. The change is just different depending on the impedance and sensitivity of the headphones.

My AKG K340's _need_ an amp... the K240S' do not. ;)

I have not come across a headphone yet that doesn't improve with an amp (except for maybe the Senn. MX400/500, but really, anyone amping a $15 earbud needs to get something other than their ears checked). Like philodox says, the change is different depending on the headphones and amp.

BTW, philodox how are you enjoying the PSP with the Shures?

Back