gave libranet a try

deuce868

Gawd
I am a debian man. I have four Debian servers at work and I have tried a couple of times to get Debian on my laptop, but I have always had a hard time with the wireless and sound in particular. The laptop is an IBM R50. I have tried RH and SuSE, but I just can never get used to them. Their methods of config and package management is just stuff I don't want to deal with.

So I had been thinking about trying out Libranet. It's a Debian based distro like Knoppix is, but it has a great community and a new admin control called adminmenu. I like to edit the config files, so I wasn't to interested in the control panel, but I had heard the hardware recognition was great.

They recently released their latest version 2.8 for free, so I figured not is the time to try it out. I downloaded the two ISOs and did a minimal install. WOW! Video, sound, Cisco wireless card, onboard e1000 network...all without a hitch.

The minimal install is pretty light. They use Gnome for a lot of base gui stuff so if you're a gnome fan things are pretty easy and right there. I like KDE so I installed a light version and then added KDE with apt-get after the fact.

Its a pretty efficient system as well. I have apache/mysql daemons running with OO Writer, Firefox, Thunderbird, and Gaim and we are using around 100mb of RAM.

Anyway, they are supposed to be getting ready to release version 3.0. It will be based off of the new 2.6 kernel and use parts of the new Debian installer. If you guys have had a hard time with Debian before, but loved they way it is set up you need to give this one a try.

I am not affiliated with them and I've been posting around here for a while. I just wanted to let you guys know a great find out there in the Distro war. I will always use Debian on my servers, but for deskop/laptop systems this is good stuff.

http://www.libranet.com

Glad to hear that - I ditched Windows for the last time last week, and went back to Linux after a 5-year hiatus. Needing to get up and running quickly, and fearing the Debian install (I have a wireless usb nic that is known for giving trouble), i went with mandrake 10.

i'm up and running with no problems - but i hope to move to debian eventually, as i was working on a debian machine for a week straight and loved it (which fueled my switch to linux last week when windows crashed out on me -again-).

i'll look into libranet - thanks!

Intergated libranet quickly to replace some broken down duallie gentoo servers where I used to work. Easy to install, and I have as much love for apt as portage.

apt is probably the biggest reason i want to move to a debian based distro. rpm hell is driving me mad!!!!

Back