Gamma issues with new Asus PG279Q - Please help

tallypwner

n00b
Hello all, been a while since I've come around these parts.

I have a problem and I haven't been able to find a solution or explanation yet on the net.

So I have a Windows 10, Intel 8700k, Nvidia 1070 GTX and the 27 inch 1440 res IPS monitor using display port. I previously had a 23 inch Eizo monitor with none of my current issues and nothing changed except the monitor and cable.

I installed the latest monitor drivers from Asus and gpu drivers from Nvidia.

So when I use this new monitor I have noticed a few gamma issues. I've been able to find workarounds for some of them.

• Desktop gamma seems high. Typical white washed over bright look to everything. Used Windows calibration to lower gamma some and it's not more acceptable.
  • Had trouble with super small text so I'm scaling to 125%. Text is less crisp now as expected.
  • VLC player videos play with super high gamma. I went into the video effects to lower the gamma a lot. It looks okay now but surprised it was so far off default.
  • Youtube looks fine but Xfinity in Chrome looks completely white washed gamma like the VLC videos. The only thing I could find to fix it was by turning hardware acceleration off in Chrome. I feel like this isn't an ideal solution and I'm not sure but it seems to lower video quality. Turning hardware acceleration off did get rid of that gamma issue.
I feel like there is a simple fix to this like I plugged something in wrong but I'm not really super savvy with this stuff. Pretty average computer user. I appreciate the help.

Did you change any of the image settings on the monitor itself? First thing I would do before messing around with the monitor settings is to set all your color settings in the OS and drivers back to default. Then start with these settings on the monitor as a baseline.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg279q.htm#calibration

You could have also come from a different panel type. If your Eizo was a VA panel then the sharp decrease in contrast ratio with this AHVA (IPS-type) will be shocking if you were not expecting it.

I kept the monitor settings neutral/default. I didn't want to change them until I fixed this issue. I did set it to 144 hz refresh rate and same in Windows but that's it.

Oh and the issue is only with certain software playback, Youtube, Games, Amazon prime seemed fine. But Xfinity playback and VLC playback horrible gamma. So it's some type of weird software issue. I guess? Why would hardware acceleration suddenly make VLC and Xfinity via Chrome video ultra high gamma but not affect Youtube or Amazon Prime video on Chrome or other video sources?

Last edited:
Back